Referee Ratings

Started by Solo_run, July 25, 2017, 12:19:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

The kickout one at the weekend caused consternation in Limerick. The crowd went buck mad when the Cork goalie took a kickout towards his own corner flag almost. A Cork lad ran in and played the ball and everyone went nuts. PErfectly Legal of course. Mayo did it themselves in the second half, and there was a bit of bemused silence.

Syferus

Cormac Rielly can award and deduct points from the sideline.

twohands!!!

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2017, 12:53:43 PM
The kickout one at the weekend caused consternation in Limerick. The crowd went buck mad when the Cork goalie took a kickout towards his own corner flag almost. A Cork lad ran in and played the ball and everyone went nuts. PErfectly Legal of course. Mayo did it themselves in the second half, and there was a bit of bemused silence.

This is another one of the rules on RTE that change depending on who is commentating/co-commentating.

Rossfan

And don't forget Tommy Tom Tom that you can't issue a Black card in the first 10 minutes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

manfromdelmonte

once the ball goes 13m in any direction and the player is outside the 21 when its kicked its play on

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on July 25, 2017, 01:10:01 PM
once the ball goes 13m in any direction and the player is outside the 21 when its kicked its play on

Correct. That's why I said was perfectly legal.

joemamas

Quote from: Rossfan on July 25, 2017, 01:05:25 PM
And don't forget Tommy Tom Tom that you can't issue a Black card in the first 10 minutes.

It was actually eight minutes, but Tommy was so definitive in blasting the ref for doing it, that I had forgotten that congress ruled that no Black cards were allowed before the ninth minute.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2017, 01:13:45 PM

I think there are a fair few kickouts that don't travel the 13m and play is let go.

AZOffaly

There was one dodgy one in that game alright. The defender was outside the 20 metre line, no problem, but the goalie kicked it sideways and I'd say it only went 8 or 9 metres. But by that stage the crowd was so confused they didn't realise they had a case with that one!

theticklemister

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 25, 2017, 02:27:06 PM

I think there are a fair few kickouts that don't travel the 13m and play is let go.

The reason for this magpie is simple and a cop out......

It takes the pressure off the referee  as to deciding if it crossed a certain Line. 13m lets the referee decide vaguely to play on or not. It's like giving 13m for a player protesting after an awarding of a free. 

Ironically that rule is to help referees.

mrhardyannual

I don't think that that was why the Mayo crowd were annoyed with the ref. I think it was more that he made Mayo retake a number of similar kickouts. In the ref's defence there was a second ball on the pitch a number of times coutesy of Cork subs/ maor.

rosnarun

Quote from: AZOffaly on July 25, 2017, 02:30:00 PM
There was one dodgy one in that game alright. The defender was outside the 20 metre line, no problem, but the goalie kicked it sideways and I'd say it only went 8 or 9 metres. But by that stage the crowd was so confused they didn't realise they had a case with that one!
8 or 9 meters is being very generous
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

UlsterMan2

Far too many rules in our game that are different for basically the same thing which causes a lot of confusion, like this if a kick out is too short it's a throw ball on the 20 meter line, but if a free kick, 45 or line ball is too short it's a free against you. Also with free's etc it's in rule that you only need to be 13m away before ball is kicked, therefore you could receive the ball closer, but a kick out the ball has too travel 13m, therefore similar scenarios but with different penalties, any wonder there's lots of confusion.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Fuzzman on July 25, 2017, 12:02:33 PM
Any time I've saw Paddy Neilan I thought he has been a total disaster, including the league final this year.
I understand he's new and young but jeepers some of his decisions are mind boggling.

I always thought Joe McQuillan got a hard time and wasn't a bad ref but his second half display in the Ulster final was terrible and you could see again how a ref seems to give soft frees to the losing team though he gave Tyrone a few strange decisions too.

+1

Both from counties with little footballing pedigree since football began in 2000.

Syferus

Neilan was excellent in the league final, it's a pity so few know a good performance when they see it, it makes the purpose of this thread entirely pointless.