Leinster Senior Football Championship 2017

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, November 18, 2016, 01:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Tipp v offaly in 1991 all ireland final i think there was 35,000 packed in

Laois v offaly in 2006 was a big crowd i remember
LAOIS ABÚ

les Antiques

Good positive performance from Leix Sunday . It was altogether the most appropriate reaction and performance after the dismal league campaign .
Kildare will be a different proposition.
Saying that , I have stated before Creedons best scalps and managerial successes have come during championship. Expect to see a different set up and approach against Kildare. We are overly due a victory in Tullamore against anyone really ..particularly Kildare .
Apparently the biggest attendance at a Laois match in O'Moore Park was the replayed match against Carlow after the infamous Mick Turley overturned point back in '95 . I remember it been a hot sweltering day and Micky Lawlor stole the show after Goggey went off injured .

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on May 23, 2017, 10:44:44 PM
When was the last time O'Moore Park was full. Not just the stand but the terraces aswell.  I can't remember and they've qualifier double headers.
1991 U21 Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipperary 1991 for a start anyway.

2002 U21 Football Final Dublin Galway v Dublin as well would have been close.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Don Draper on May 24, 2017, 09:42:38 AM
When was the last time O'Moore Park was full. Not just the stand but the terraces aswell.  I can't remember and they've qualifier double headers.
1991 U21 Hurling Final Kilkenny v Tipperary 1991 for a start anyway.

2002 U21 Football Final Dublin Galway v Dublin as well would have been close.

Maybe not jammed to the rafters but I remember the league game against Kildare in 2003 with Micko at the helm. There was a massive crowd. Definitely the biggest crowd ever at a Laois league match.

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: les Antiques on May 24, 2017, 01:43:28 AM
Good positive performance from Leix Sunday . It was altogether the most appropriate reaction and performance after the dismal league campaign .
Kildare will be a different proposition.
Saying that , I have stated before Creedons best scalps and managerial successes have come during championship. Expect to see a different set up and approach against Kildare. We are overly due a victory in Tullamore against anyone really ..particularly Kildare .
Apparently the biggest attendance at a Laois match in O'Moore Park was the replayed match against Carlow after the infamous Mick Turley overturned point back in '95 . I remember it been a hot sweltering day and Micky Lawlor stole the show after Goggey went off injured .

Yes. That 95 replay was absolutely wedged. Lawlor scored 1-5 that day.

Helix

Offaly in either 05/06 in qualifiers in OMP was biggest I've seen must have been over 20k mark.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

les Antiques

clonadmad

Quote from: Unlaoised on May 23, 2017, 11:22:48 PM
Tipp v offaly in 1991 all ireland final i think there was 35,000 packed in

Laois v offaly in 2006 was a big crowd i remember

Tipp v Offaly u21 game was 1989,the 35k attendance won't be exceeded.

ILikeStrawberryJam

OMP must hold around 25k. They only change they made was to put in better supports on the terrace. They do have a section taped off around the middle for cameras which i presume is temporary until they build a proper structure which probably reduces it by 1k ..
IF O' Connor Park Tullamore holds 18k OMP mush be 25k. Although it will be a masacre it will be great to see our superb stadium 2/3 full ..

Very good display on Sunday. We are strong from the half back line up. I liked the way we pressed high up ..
Was a killer to see Timmons on the bench. I dont even know if he was on the subs list?
Booth did OK but cant mark a speedy forward. O'Connor off the pace. Thought Strong did quite well. Tackled well. Young Kelly did ok too, his best game for Laois since his debut. I presume he'll start the next day for attride? Or maybe mcmahon drop back and Dillon comes into the half back line.
Buggie had a good debut.

We were good around the middle. Begley and Quigley were immense. Johnno did his stuff as he always does

Loved the way when there was a goal chances on we went for it ..

Donie is the ultimate target man being able to kick off both feet, win 40/60 balls, sell dummies and draw players too him before laying it off to the man in space. Great to see Paul step up at last. His first goal was superb.

Evan did ok but is clearly still not match fit. Does cause chaos when he runs at full tilt.

I thought Brody kick outs were frustrating. Quigley would make a run but he would hesitate and land it down on top of johhno instead who would
usually miss it. With the mark, the quigley option must be used more.

How do we beat Kildare?
We will concede 1-17 ish so i guess we need another glut of goals..

Pleased for the players and Creedon. We can only be as good as the talent we have available.
Thanks all i can ask for as a supporter .. I felt we came near that on Sunday ..

Tony

For what it's worth, Laois had 3 players named on "Hogan Stand's Team of the Week"...

http://www.hoganstand.com/Longford/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=270624

Looking like Timmons might not see any game time vs Kildare. It's probably the right call as he can't be match sharp. We could really do with a couple more experienced backs. The team is crying out for a healy and timmons to really put it up vs Kildare. I'd probably put McMahon back to FB line if Timmons is still missing.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Roscommon and Kildare in 03 was as close to full as I remember it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yThW4L1X0A

Tony

Laois and Carlow replay was fuller.

I remember because it was so full that I couldn't find the rest of my family on the Abbeyleix end after gpoing to the toilet. It was absolutely saturated packed.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

That was well before the proper stand was built though, so guaranteed to be a smaller crowd.

Tony

You can still pack a load of people in, sometimes more so without a stand or modern regulations - there were well over 30,000 people present for some games pre the new stand.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!