County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, July 13, 2016, 10:14:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2016, 03:45:52 PM
Syfín, could you ease up on the hatchet job on a great servant of Ros football and have a bit if respect.
Just say that in your (inexpert no more than my own) opinion he's not good enough for the County Senior for job.

We'll be chasing Banty yet or going cap in hand to Kearns......

At least the players might like Banty.

Dineen post the 2014 AI final undone a lot of the goodwill he garnered with a better-than-feared tenure as U21 manager. That is a simple fact. He's genuinely passed me off by making a farcical attempt at getting the senior job this month, going around sowing seeds of discontent in both the media and in his canvassing of clubs.

It does not benefit Roscommon and all I care about is what's best for Roscommon, not what's best for Nigel Dineen's profile, Seamus Sweeney, Kevin McStay or even FOD, the latter two of whom I have plenty of respect for. This is bigger than them all of them combined and we've developed an incredible ability to fûck ourselves over in recent years so anything that creates more division is very harmful in the long run.

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 11:03:28 AM
I'd be surprised if Dineen will be the next manager after McStay because most of the managers I'm thinking about would have better machines behind them and more passionate supporters than Dineen does so it would take most or all of them deciding not to bother to leave an opening for Dineen.

And what if all the parts of McStay's machine don't work well together like in 2016, what good is a machine then?
And as regards more passionate supporters backing McStay - to quote a Sligoman: "the best lack all conviction, the worst are full of passionate intensity." That passionate supporters/intensity also happen to be a self-nominated elite in Roscommon GAA that decided to push Evans (the incoming chairman told him time to go) because they felt they had a better machine, that was attracting bigger sponsors. And therein you have everything that is wrong with Roscommon GAA. Our best managers have not had the big machine behind them - the Marty McDermott's, the John Toibins, Fergal (when on his own), Nigel (when on his own as U21 manager). When we've gone the celebrity circuit, it has always ended in tears. Will we ever learn? No, we won't.

Rossfan

Excellent post weareros.
Carr, Maughan 2 ex army with €men picking up the tab.
Fast forward to 2016............
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: weareros on September 23, 2016, 04:07:43 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 23, 2016, 11:03:28 AM
I'd be surprised if Dineen will be the next manager after McStay because most of the managers I'm thinking about would have better machines behind them and more passionate supporters than Dineen does so it would take most or all of them deciding not to bother to leave an opening for Dineen.

And what if all the parts of McStay's machine don't work well together like in 2016, what good is a machine then?
And as regards more passionate supporters backing McStay - to quote a Sligoman: "the best lack all conviction, the worst are full of passionate intensity." That passionate supporters/intensity also happen to be a self-nominated elite in Roscommon GAA that decided to push Evans (the incoming chairman told him time to go) because they felt they had a better machine, that was attracting bigger sponsors. And therein you have everything that is wrong with Roscommon GAA. Our best managers have not had the big machine behind them - the Marty McDermott's, the John Toibins, Fergal (when on his own), Nigel (when on his own as U21 manager). When we've gone the celebrity circuit, it has always ended in tears. Will we ever learn? No, we won't.

John Evans produced our most competitive period at least in terms of being close to beating big teams in the championship since 2003. He's probably the manager who most would have decried as a mercenary manager who wouldn't get us anywhere. I'd be a lot slower than you or Rosfan when it comes to labeling any man just because they weren't born west of the the Shannon and east of Kilmovee. Insularity is a trait that has rarely served anyone well in any human endeavor.

Rossfan

You were fairly sharp at labelling Nigel >:(
Evans was shafted by the same people who "disparaged and undermined" Fergal.
The people whose behinds you are now crawling up.

By the way 10 years ago tonight Ros town was lit up as our Minors brought the Markham Cup home.
What a pity the great unity and sense of purpose and good leadership of those days are replaced by back stabbing self serving divisiveness and lack of leadership we now have.

muppet

Kevin Walsh gets another 3 years with Gaillimh.

Galway and Sligo will see this as good news.
MWWSI 2017

twohands!!!

I think the following is the list of managers for 2017 - Not all these are ratified/confirmed but overall the vast majority should be good.

Antrim Frank Fitzsimmons
Armagh Kieran McGeeney
Carlow Turlough O'Brien
Clare Colm Collins
Cork Peader Healy
Derry Damian Barton
Donegal Rory Gallagher
Down Eamonn Burns
Dublin Jim Gavin
Fermanagh Pat McGrath
Galway Kevin Walsh
Kerry Eamonn Fitzmaurice
Kildare Cian O'Neill
Laois Peter Creedon
Leitrim Benny Guckian
London Ciarán Deely
Longford Denis Connerton
Louth Colin Kelly
Mayo Stephen Rochford
Meath Andy McEntee
Monaghan Malachy O'Rourke
Offaly Pat Flanagan
Sligo   Niall Carew
Tipperary Liam Kearns
Tyrone Mickey Harte
Westmeath Tom Cribbin
Wicklow Johnny Magee

Vacancies still in the following (in case anyone is interested in applying)
Cavan
Limerick
New York
Roscommon
Waterford
Wexford

Rossfan

Anthony Cunningham said to be still in the running for Cavan.
Limerick, NY, Wexford and Waterford probably not being overrun with applicants.
As for us....... Syfín could end up getting the job as he knows it all ;D.
They say Dineen hasn't a chance while appointing McStay will alienate the decent people of the County.

Banty anyone?

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Rossfan on September 27, 2016, 08:16:07 PM

They say Dineen hasn't a chance while appointing McStay will alienate the decent people of the County.

Banty anyone?

Who are the decent people in the county or who are the indecent people of the county?  why will appointing McStay alienated these "decent people"??

Itchy

A lot of talk that McEntee also looking at Cavan job, but won't say anything until after Saturday.

moysider

Banty anyone?

Football management looks like an increasingly tough gig. Who would want it? Most ends in grief, even with the successful counties. At club level it is even more taxing. There are very few teams that end up feeling good about themselves any given year.

westbound

Banty anyone?

That's a strange comment rossfan.

I'd consider myself a 'decent' person from the county! But I won't be 'alienated' if mcstay gets appointed. I'm not sure what exactly the basis for your comment is?

Rossfan

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on September 27, 2016, 08:46:55 PM

Banty anyone?

Who are the decent people in the county or who are the indecent people of the county?  why will appointing McStay alienated these "decent people"??
The decent people are those who are disgusted at the "campaign of disparagement and undermining" of a decent man and disgusted atthe Bs who started it, orchestrated it or took part in it.
I would consider Danny Burke to be one of the decent people.

I didn't see a statement from McStay anywhere regretting Fergal's resignation or thinking him for his work for the year nor did I see any word from him condemning the "campaign of....."
That silence speaks volumes.

Syferus

I don't see a statement from McStay attacking Dineen either, Nige didn't get that memo.. McStay has done very little wrong since FOD resigned and you're really reaching for things to blame him for at this stage.