Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Jefe

Quote from: clonadmad on December 14, 2016, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: El Jefe on December 14, 2016, 12:47:46 PM
So say Timahoe and The Heath do join, they'll play as a Gaels team in the Senior Championship. Timahoe will still have their team in the Intermediate and The Heaths non-selected players will have to make do with playing in the Junior. Then next year if Timahoe happened to win the Intermediate the amalgamation would break up and The Heath would have to go calling on the lads that they didn't want to come back and play Senior again - is this right?

The Agreement will be only a year in duration?
No I mean if Timahoe win Intermediate and go back Senior does it end then or what happens?

clonadmad

Quote from: El Jefe on December 14, 2016, 02:19:54 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on December 14, 2016, 02:10:44 PM
Quote from: El Jefe on December 14, 2016, 12:47:46 PM
So say Timahoe and The Heath do join, they'll play as a Gaels team in the Senior Championship. Timahoe will still have their team in the Intermediate and The Heaths non-selected players will have to make do with playing in the Junior. Then next year if Timahoe happened to win the Intermediate the amalgamation would break up and The Heath would have to go calling on the lads that they didn't want to come back and play Senior again - is this right?

The Agreement will be only a year in duration?
No I mean if Timahoe win Intermediate and go back Senior does it end then or what happens?

im sure that contingency would be addressed in their agreement.

also does it have to be passed by a 2/3 majority at each clubs EGM?.

BallyroanAbu

If you want a serious Laois Senior Championship then let's see how this goes.  If it does not work I am sure we can revert back to type.  I think it's going to be brilliant no standing still for anyone, we will all have to up our game and to be honest we have but I think we are going have to find another gear.

Unlaoised

Timahoe and the Heath together doesn't make any sort of Sense to me......
LAOIS ABÚ

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: The Monument Road on December 14, 2016, 01:36:22 PM
Quote from: High Fielder on December 14, 2016, 12:32:08 PM
No go for Josephs Barrowhouse. Josephs voted it down again. It appears to be an aggressive environment out there at the moment and standing still could probably mean being left behind.
Opens the door for Kileen/Barrowhouse Gaels. Mind you quite a few in Barrowhouse would prefer tha as some of them are very much against the Josephs Gaels. I can also understand Josephs view point as they are doing massive work with their juveiles and in reality the Gaels proposal was to accomodate one player......it seems some Barrowhouse players would rather the Kileen option

Have they short memories in Barrowhouse?

Helix

Quote from: Laoiseabu on December 14, 2016, 11:48:47 AM
Mountmellick and Emo ? Mountmellick have put up a big news announcement coming soon on their Facebook/Twitter page

Hardly John O Loughlin coming back to Mountmellick? If it is it's a serious boost for them.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

Don Draper

Quote from: Helix on December 14, 2016, 05:33:10 PM
Quote from: Laoiseabu on December 14, 2016, 11:48:47 AM
Mountmellick and Emo ? Mountmellick have put up a big news announcement coming soon on their Facebook/Twitter page

Hardly John O Loughlin coming back to Mountmellick? If it is it's a serious boost for them.
A recent post on Instagram would suggest so

Laois fan

Timahoe and the Heath seems strange to me,the Heath won the league this year and because of a near relegation experience they now decide they need to join.While joes voted down joining up with barrow house it looks like they are going to poach their best player which will surely destroy this small club.To me all these amalgamations are a quick fix with no long term benefit ,maybe clubs should follow the stradbally mould and just put in a big effort next year

El Jefe

The Heath are losing a serious amount of players that are heading abroad apparently

Helix

Quote from: El Jefe on December 15, 2016, 04:18:27 PM
The Heath are losing a serious amount of players that are heading abroad apparently

Knee jerk reaction to lads going abroad. At least 4 gone off it so I believe. Can't see timahoe thing happening. Emo would be a better option of a gaels route if ever a gaels were to happen.
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

High Fielder

Quote from: Laois fan on December 15, 2016, 03:46:32 PM
Timahoe and the Heath seems strange to me,the Heath won the league this year and because of a near relegation experience they now decide they need to join.While joes voted down joining up with barrow house it looks like they are going to poach their best player which will surely destroy this small club.To me all these amalgamations are a quick fix with no long term benefit ,maybe clubs should follow the stradbally mould and just put in a big effort next year

it's a crazy system which tells a lad at 21 that he must walk away from the set up he grew up playing in and go back to his Junior/Intermediate club. There may not be anywhere near the level of training that he knew at underage and so he loses out. Maybe the answer to all this is a draft system for players outside of Senior grade. It would probably work easier than amalgamating clubs for short periods of time

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on December 15, 2016, 05:00:25 PM
Quote from: Laois fan on December 15, 2016, 03:46:32 PM

it's a crazy system which tells a lad at 21 that he must walk away from the set up he grew up playing in and go back to his Junior/Intermediate club. There may not be anywhere near the level of training that he knew at underage and so he loses out. Maybe the answer to all this is a draft system for players outside of Senior grade. It would probably work easier than amalgamating clubs for short periods of time

So if you're a Senior club there should be draft system of best non senior players ?
This is a ridiculous idea. Clubs aren't clubs anymore if this is the case. I've said it many times but senior clubs should not be allowed form a gaels team. However if a group of intermediate/Junior clubs got together preferably in the same region. Examples in other counties would be South Kerry, West Kerry , Kenmare district etc. Clubs who are Senior on merit shouldn't need "gaels" players.  It is a farce in my opinion. However if the county board was truly bothered by  the plight of the "intermediate/junior" footballer then they would be setting up regional teams . I'd suggest two (seeing as we are a small county). Set up district boards to run these teams , possibly run district competitions as well. Sadly I know the county board will not do this but one can dream. The benefits I believe will vastly outweigh the initial struggle to get it off the ground.

High Fielder

A draft based on an existing relationship. Parish or underage amalgamation being two examples. Not just a draft to the highest bidder. As mentioned above, it appears as if Barrowhouse are about to lose their biggest asset - again. We have to find ways of keeping lads in their home club, but at the same time giving them access to Senior football/hurling. If the draft is underpinned by an existing relationship, then we can avoid unnecessary and damaging transfers.

I think we need to look beyond amalgamations that won't last pissing time. They assume, wrongly in my opinion, that all players in both clubs will be in favour of joining up. This should be about an individual's decision to play or not play Senior, and where he wants to, we need to facilitate that as best we can

Pablo Escobar

Quote from: High Fielder on December 15, 2016, 07:17:00 PM
A draft based on an existing relationship. Parish or underage amalgamation being two examples. Not just a draft to the highest bidder. As mentioned above, it appears as if Barrowhouse are about to lose their biggest asset - again. We have to find ways of keeping lads in their home club, but at the same time giving them access to Senior football/hurling. If the draft is underpinned by an existing relationship, then we can avoid unnecessary and damaging transfers.

I think we need to look beyond amalgamations that won't last pissing time. They assume, wrongly in my opinion, that all players in both clubs will be in favour of joining up. This should be about an individual's decision to play or not play Senior, and where he wants to, we need to facilitate that as best we can

If this transfer does go through the Josephs / Barrowhouse underage  partnership could be resigned to to the history books. I think the stumbling block for the gaels/draft situation is the barring from Leinster championship if a team can win a championship. Josephs would believe (rightly or wrongly) that they would be at least on a par with stradbally and could therefore win a championship and do well in Leinster.  By taking on one possibly more from Barrowhouse they jeopardise this.

Ballyroan Abbey

Surely the county board shouldnt allow a transfer of a barrowhouse player to josephs to happen, they literely just turned down the oppurtunity to have the player play for them