The future of laois hurling

Started by Tobias, October 27, 2015, 08:08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Goon win for Abbeyleix Gaels at the weekend in the minor hurling replay. Also great to see a Wolfhill man playing his part, being 1 of 3 Ballypickas players on the team.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

blueandwhite1

Quote from: redsetanta on September 05, 2016, 10:14:53 AM
Goon win for Abbeyleix Gaels at the weekend in the minor hurling replay. Also great to see a Wolfhill man playing his part, being 1 of 3 Ballypickas players on the team.

Yes, fair play to Abbeyleix. No surprise at all that they are winning at this level and so comprehensively. They are putting in huge work.

Keyser Söze

Cheddar gone.
Now we are f**ked.
Can see several players not returning also.
Miles behind the other counties searching for replacements. Level with Offaly (and they have a fair headstart on us in their search).

Give it to Arien Delaney.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

merman

Sad news.

There is more to this than meets the eye as Cheddar had agreed to do one more year but with significant changes to his backroom setup.
The idea then was that he would move back to steer our development squads.

It feels like we are back to the Teddy McCarthy times...

clonadmad

A sad day for Laois,a man who put his heart soul and money into the Laois set up

Davy's available
All we need is a €1m budget p.a to renumerate him and his 29 man support team.

welcomehome

sorry to hear about cheddar...did a lot for laois hurling..we have neither football or hurling manager now.... :(

finbar o tool

He is a great hurling man and a great Laois man, great respect for all that he has done. But im glad hes gone. Time for the county board to step up now. This will be a crucial appointment.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Keyser Söze

Quote from: finbar o tool on September 24, 2016, 01:48:09 PM
He is a great hurling man and a great Laois man, great respect for all that he has done. But im glad hes gone. Time for the county board to step up now. This will be a crucial appointment.

Suggestions?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

County baller

I don't think we'll benefit hugely from an outside appointment. The most sensible thing to do would be to give it to Arien Delaney who has been watching the championship. I have a feeling we're going to be in for a tough few years now until our younger players come up. There are definitely some talented minors from the past few years who are about to burst onto the scene in the next few years.

burdizzo

The county board to step up? Well, we could be surprised, but plainly we don't have the money for a 'big name', and we don't want an untested outsider, either. I'd say it'll nearly have to be from within the county.

Yes, it is a great pity Cheddar has gone - he has put a lot into what is a thankless task. I hope he can remain involved in underage development.

Ogie

Merman, as usual you are spot on.

Cheddar had agreed to stay on another year, I was looking forward to seeing the make up of his back room team.
However the County Board would not back Cheddars plans for Laois Hurling for the next few years so it appears he has walked away in frustration.

I do believe he should be Development Officer/Director of hurling in charge of Laois hurling & its coaches from top to bottom, and it would be a n even better role for him than County Manager.

Thanks for your huge efforts Cheddar, & for those days against Galway & Offaly where the hair stood on the back of my neck supporting my County my Hurling team in Portlaoise, I'll remember those two days & the crowd forever

County baller

Quote from: Ogie on September 24, 2016, 02:26:43 PM
Merman, as usual you are spot on.

Cheddar had agreed to stay on another year, I was looking forward to seeing the make up of his back room team.
However the County Board would not back Cheddars plans for Laois Hurling for the next few years so it appears he has walked away in frustration.

I do believe he should be Development Officer/Director of hurling in charge of Laois hurling & its coaches from top to bottom, and it would be a n even better role for him than County Manager.

Thanks for your huge efforts Cheddar, & for those days against Galway & Offaly where the hair stood on the back of my neck supporting my County my Hurling team in Portlaoise, I'll remember those two days & the crowd forever

Well said

redsetanta

Sad to hear Cheddar is gone. Some very memorable days in O'Moore Park. Ogie i would add Clare in the league quarter final to that. When Reddin hit that goal the roof nearly came off of the stand. I really hope Cheddar is given the top job in Laois hurling because once he's involved we'll only get better. It's imperative the CB keep him on.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

If the CB wouldn't back him for one more year as senior manager then what's to say they would back him as Director of hurling or whatever role he'd go for. 

SpeculativeEffort

Cheddar should take the power off these idiots who won't back him and stand for county board chairman himself. Cheddar could lead Laois GAA forward.