Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

I went out for a run this morning. Was enjoying the fresh air, the countryside and my second captains podcast when it was taken over by Brexit talk with a couple of the English guests they had on. All doom and gloom. No place for it on a sports podcast. People worry way too much about money. No one will starve over this.

Nigel White

To be honest I think Boris and his fellow Tory Brexiteers are now shiting themselves. Talk of not rushing into invoking Article 59, period of reflection, wanting to continue to have great relations with European neighbours etc etc. EU on the other hand telling them to get out to fcuk as quick as you can. Scots now see the opportunity to seize the moment and go again for independence on the grounds that one of the biggest factors that arose last time - fear of the unknown - is not now relevant as staying in the Brexit UK is now a bigger leap in the dark than leaving it. I think Boris will try to win further concessions and go for another referendum on the basis of his better deal and preserving the Union

Rossfan

I think Nigel's first sentence sums it up perfectly.
A real Oh Shit!!!! moment ;D
And Cameron dumps it all on them by saying "I'm off chaps, sort things out yourselves"
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 24, 2016, 11:49:56 PM
Quote from: LeoMc on June 24, 2016, 11:33:37 PM
Quote from: Minder on June 24, 2016, 11:22:28 PM
Interesting tweet from Ch4 news correspondent

@alextomo Extraordinary watching sections of London media with no language, ability or even will to speak to the millions of non-racists who voted out
Its as Benny said earlier, the result is due to 2 generations of people fuck3d over by successive governments. Racism is a very small part of it, resentment of the status quo and a chance to put 2 fingers up to the establishment are the real reasons.
If you have something you voted in.
If you had nothing you voted out.
Too many people have nothing, not even hope.

If that was the case then how did the Tories get in ?? People voted out cause they think the grass will be greener...

This should sort out unemployment as the dole merchants will be happy to work on the farms, abattoirs, hotels, bars and all those other jobs that hard working immigrants have been doing for past 20 odd years

Privatisation of the NHS is around the corner
there is no financial incentive to run the NHS . Demand is fucked so there aren't going to be any payrises to cover the escalating costs of cover. I wouldn't go near the NHS with a bargepole if I was running a pension fund or a hedge fund.

Money got involved in nursing homes and lost a fortune
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

Quote from: screenexile on June 25, 2016, 02:34:56 AM
Here it is... if you voted leave you are stupid and probably a racist although these aren't mutually exclusive.

Boris will be our next Prime Minister, Scotland will leave, UK will be a laughing stock on the world stage and once all the big multinationals up sticks and leave you will be begging to get back into the EU y'know if you ever manage to get out of that recession.

The time to make a political statement was the general election not an extremely important referendum that you were too f**king stupid to comprehend which basically boiled down to immigrants bad we good!

In the medium term Ireland are going to gain a lot when these companies leave London and fair play to them. The downside is an Irish company that exports stock to the UK just saw the value of their stock drop by 7% and god knows how much more when the markets realise that BOE statement was bullshit and there really isn't anything they can practically do!

We've been shafted by stupid people who don't know the correct way to show their frustration so they listen to Garage and Boris.... seriously lads look at yourselves!!

I think it is a joke that went too far
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/24/a-pyrrhic-victory-boris-johnson-wakes-up-to-the-costs-of-brexit

seafoid

Quote from: Asal Mor on June 25, 2016, 08:55:40 AM
I went out for a run this morning. Was enjoying the fresh air, the countryside and my second captains podcast when it was taken over by Brexit talk with a couple of the English guests they had on. All doom and gloom. No place for it on a sports podcast. People worry way too much about money. No one will starve over this.
I dunno asal.
An awful lot of people in the UK already depend on food banks. This is serious shit.
People are dying earlier than they used to. Mental illness incidence is very high.

Every 1% rise in unemployment generates something like 300 extra cancers and 500 suicides in the US
Economic chaos is literally fatal for some people at the poorer end of the income spectrum 

seafoid

I think there will be implications for the English premiership as well with the UK out of the single market

seafoid

Quote from: AQMP on June 25, 2016, 09:34:19 AM
Yep it's clear Gove and Johnson didn't expect this and they certainly didn't expect Cameron to jump. They banked in Cameron triggering Article 50 and leading the negotiations to leave the EU. Yesterday Gove looked like he'd just been told his entire family were dead. Farage knows he doesn't have to sort anything out and he can just bluff his way in the background.

The irony is that Cameron and Corbyn are Eurosceptics and deep down Boris is a Europhile.  We're going to have the unelected elite in London negotiating with the unelected elite in Brussels.

As for the North, they'll probably have to do away with the Barnett formula, the block grant NI gets is a piece of EU legislation, corporation tax?? The only certainty at the moment is that there is no plan.  I could foresee Boris stringing out the negotiations as long as poss, coming back with a Brexit-lite and either having another referendum in 3 or 4 years time or even just putting it through parliament. How long do you reckon it will take the English working class to work out they've been sold a pup?
Huge dice were rolled. The aim of the vote was to reunite the Tories but it looks like they join the GOP as another party broken by neoliberalism in its end stage. It is the political equivalent of a tsunami.

J. K. Galbraith:"The conventional wisdom" gives way not so much to new ideas as to "the massive onslaught of circumstances with which it cannot contend".

I think the biggest thing for me is the poverty of so many parts of England that the vote exposed.
This is going to be politically treacherous in the years ahead

Of those who are forced to choose, some will chose to fight

Nigel White

Anyone heard from George Osborne in the past 2 days?

No wides

Quote from: seafoid on June 25, 2016, 09:36:10 AM
I think there will be implications for the English premiership as well with the UK out of the single market

Like that is important to anyone.

BennyCake

There will be less foreign players then? That's a good thing. More local players might get a chance then. The PL has become saturated with average players from all over the world. Even my own team has become so unrecognisable, I have very little incentive to follow them. Unpronounceable names that drift in and out for a season, and leave no discernible memories for fans.

general_lee

Quote from: BennyCake on June 25, 2016, 10:10:47 AM

There will be less foreign players then? That's a good thing. More local players might get a chance then. The PL has become saturated with average players from all over the world. Even my own team has become so unrecognisable, I have very little incentive to follow them. Unpronounceable names that drift in and out for a season, and leave no discernible memories for fans.
Cantona, Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Schmeical, Zola, Ginola, Fabregas, etc etc

Nigel White

Quote from: No wides on June 25, 2016, 10:03:32 AM

Like that is important to anyone.
Mind you, in fairness had it been raised as an issue with the brain deads of England before the vote, it probably could have swung it in favour of remain!

BennyCake

Quote from: general_lee on June 25, 2016, 11:05:40 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 25, 2016, 10:10:47 AM

Cantona, Henry, Bergkamp, Ronaldo, Schmeical, Zola, Ginola, Fabregas, etc etc

Djemba-Djemba, Taibi, Diouf, Diao, Silenzi, Alaves, Kleberson, Kezman, Brolin, Macheda etc etc