The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - Arne to Slot right in?

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2014, 03:03:29 PM
Quote from: J OGorman on July 11, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on July 11, 2014, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2014, 01:21:50 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on July 11, 2014, 01:09:08 PM
I can't help thinking that last season was a missed opportunity to win the league.  :(

Of course it was, should have taken the chance when it was there. Players couldnt hack the pressure and fans lost the run of themselves. When if ever (obv not LS now) are you going to have all of your players playing at or very near to their peak again? Now without the dynamism of LS I dont think Sturridge can repeat the kind of season he had last season again.

BR is in for a test now to see if he can replace him with even a couple of players.

Ahhh so that's why they lost the league. Those damned fans  ::)

That old one. Not a single fan here or the many I know over through lost the run of themselves. It was a case of watching the run in through one eye hoping for the best. But whatever gets you off down the local ;-)

I wasn't referring to the LFC fans on here, it was the legions lining the team bus route on the way into the stadium before the run in matches etc Was a bit OTT and only served to crank the pressure up for the players.

But I'm sure they will be a lot calmer this year  ;)

Disagree there NAG1. I thought the flags, banners and flares were class.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: J OGorman on July 11, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
Quote from: Geoff Tipps on July 11, 2014, 02:10:58 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on July 11, 2014, 01:21:50 PM
Quote from: Lecale2 on July 11, 2014, 01:09:08 PM
I can't help thinking that last season was a missed opportunity to win the league.  :(

Of course it was, should have taken the chance when it was there. Players couldnt hack the pressure and fans lost the run of themselves. When if ever (obv not LS now) are you going to have all of your players playing at or very near to their peak again? Now without the dynamism of LS I dont think Sturridge can repeat the kind of season he had last season again.

BR is in for a test now to see if he can replace him with even a couple of players.

Ahhh so that's why they lost the league. Those damned fans  ::)

That old one. Not a single fan here or the many I know over through lost the run of themselves. It was a case of watching the run in through one eye hoping for the best. But whatever gets you off down the local ;-)

I wasn't referring to the LFC fans on here, it was the legions lining the team bus route on the way into the stadium before the run in matches etc Was a bit OTT and only served to crank the pressure up for the players.

But I'm sure they will be a lot calmer this year  ;)

A few kids waving flags. How is that pressure??
They lost a massive game against Chelsea. That's why they lost the league.

deiseach

So if they had treated the games like normal, Liverpool would have won the league. That is what you are saying.

blewuporstuffed

Alot of chat today about Wilfred Bony.
Looks a good player, but im not sure how he would fit in as a Suarez replacement without changing the way the team is set up
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 02:38:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 02:15:42 PM
Liverpool weren't under any real pressure til the last few weeks of the season because nobody, Liverpool fans included thought they would/could win the league? But when they found themselves in the position they did with three games to go they really should have won the league so did they crack under pressure? Undoubtedly...

Losing one game cost them the title. By that logic, Atletico cracked under the pressure of winning the Champions League.

If you think that losing at home to half a Chelsea team when a draw would probably have been enough and following it up by losing a three goal lead at Selhurst Park when a win would have moved at least some of the pressure back on City isn't cracking under pressure then I don't know what is...

Is happened loads of times before and ain't nothing to be ashamed of, if anything it could make Liverpool stronger

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 03:20:45 PM
If you think that losing at home to half a Chelsea team when a draw would probably have been enough and following it up by losing a three goal lead at Selhurst Park when a win would have moved at least some of the pressure back on City isn't cracking under pressure then I don't know what is...

Is happened loads of times before and ain't nothing to be ashamed of, if anything it could make Liverpool stronger

Ah, 20:20 hindsight. If someone said before the game that Liverpool should take the draw, I'll listen to their point of view on this matter.

EC Unique

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 03:28:02 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 03:20:45 PM

Ah, 20:20 hindsight. If someone said before the game that Liverpool should take the draw, I'll listen to their point of view on this matter.

Sod all to do with hindsight. Liverpool went into the game knowing even a draw would keep the trophy in their own destiny anything else would leave in in Citys.

Liverpool had a fantastic season, way about and beyond your expectations I'm sure but I'm afraid if you think they didn't throw the league away you're arguing a black crow white....

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 03:42:48 PM
Sod all to do with hindsight. Liverpool went into the game knowing even a draw would keep the trophy in their own destiny anything else would leave in in Citys.

Liverpool had a fantastic season, way about and beyond your expectations I'm sure but I'm afraid if you think they didn't throw the league away you're arguing a black crow white....

I'm saying that no one said before the Chelsea game that Liverpool should play for the draw. Everyone agreed that it was essential to go for the win because the Palace game was such a banana skin (which it proved to be), so they did. Then when they lost, it was suddenly obvious they should have played for the draw. If you can refer me to where you thought Liverpool should have played for the draw before the game, that'd be great. But for now, I thank you for the homespun wisdom.

Walter Cronc

laoislad

So I take it this Markovic medical didn't go ahead today as reported? Any more news about it?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 03:57:08 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 03:42:48 PM

I'm saying that no one said before the Chelsea game that Liverpool should play for the draw. Everyone agreed that it was essential to go for the win because the Palace game was such a banana skin (which it proved to be), so they did. Then when they lost, it was suddenly obvious they should have played for the draw. If you can refer me to where you thought Liverpool should have played for the draw before the game, that'd be great. But for now, I thank you for the homespun wisdom.

I never claimed Liverpool should have played for a draw was just stating a "facht" that anyone looking at the table could have seen.. and as for the Palce game being a banana skin, did you still think the same when it was 3-0 with 12 minutes to go??

deiseach

Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 04:24:15 PM
I never claimed Liverpool should have played for a draw was just stating a "facht" that anyone looking at the table could have seen.. and as for the Palce game being a banana skin, did you still think the same when it was 3-0 with 12 minutes to go??

Well, you said above that "a draw would probably have been enough". Please don't say it's a fact (don't know what your use of quotes above is about) as if it were a value-neutral judgement. Liverpool had to decide before the game whether to try and take that point or go for all three. They went for all three and unfortunately it didn't work out but, as Geoff Tipps notes above, they lost to one of their big rivals. It happens, and that's what did for them in the end. As for being 3-0 up against Palace, Liverpool fans know better than anyone the value of a 3-0 lead!

Boycey

Quote from: deiseach on July 11, 2014, 04:46:10 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 11, 2014, 04:24:15 PM

Well, you said above that "a draw would probably have been enough". Please don't say it's a fact (don't know what your use of quotes above is about) as if it were a value-neutral judgement. Liverpool had to decide before the game whether to try and take that point or go for all three. They went for all three and unfortunately it didn't work out but, as Geoff Tipps notes above, they lost to one of their big rivals. It happens, and that's what did for them in the end. As for being 3-0 up against Palace, Liverpool fans know better than anyone the value of a 3-0 lead!

If you say with your hand on your heart that you don't think Liverpool blew the league from the position they were in with 3 games to go we'll agree to disagree and move on...

EC Unique

Great show about Hansen on BBC1 now.