Going to Ireland v Austria match - Best way to go ?

Started by AhNowRef, June 02, 2017, 05:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AhNowRef

Hi Folks,

Not a fanatic soccer fan myself but Im going to Aviva next Sunday for the Austria match ... (there's 2 of us going)

Im from the North so I dont know whether to take the car or the train..

Someone said if I took the car I could go through the port tunnel and possibly park at Clan Na Gael football ground .... Not even sure it would be available or free as its a Sunday..

Ive only ever been to Aviva for Rugby before and it was always on a Saturday and usually got the dart out to it..

Any advice would be much appreciated  (btw, "dont go" isnt an option  ::) )

Denn Forever

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

SHEEDY

drove down plenty of times, always park in or around where u mentioned at the gaa grounds. dead handy, go through port tunnel and continue on over the bridge and through 2nd toll and park anywhere around there. always loads of cars about doing the same. its also good for a quick getaway.
nil satis nisi optimum

Boycey

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 02, 2017, 05:42:33 PM
drove down plenty of times, always park in or around where u mentioned at the gaa grounds. dead handy, go through port tunnel and continue on over the bridge and through 2nd toll and park anywhere around there. always loads of cars about doing the same. its also good for a quick getaway.

Drive past the GAA pitches on to 1st big junction, turn right (you will see the turn for Aviva on left) go straight through next set of lights and then park on any of streets in Irishtown. A quick exit from match will have you at car in 5 mins and away before most people are even out of ground. Been using it for matches/concerts for ages.

BennyCake

Don't go! Oh, right...

Watch out for the speed cameras in the port tunnel.

Never been to Landsdowne myself so this thread will be useful. If I ever won tickets to the football.

T Fearon

In latter years I never parked anywhere near the Aviva,it's a nightmare getting away for one.If you don't mind a walk,Park in Drury Lane just Down from Gaiety,and hoof the couple of miles down past the Shelbourne Hotel and Baggott Street,well worth it.

DickyRock

Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Don't go! Oh, right...

Never been to Landsdowne myself so this thread will be useful. If I ever won tickets to the football.

Can you get a ticket from those? Seen my number plate pop up a few times a couple of years ago, but then again I've got a english reg car so maybe they thought it wasn't worth the hassle.

Owen Brannigan

M1 to Port Tunnel.  Cross over the roundabout past the 3Arena and on to the toll on the east Link.  Head for Pembrooke Rovers Hockey Club. 

If you go in good time you will have no problem parking here and dandering across to the Aviva, it is a 6 minute walk. Very reasonable charge, 5 euros I think, and secure. Unfortunately, you can't book. 

The only downside depends on where you are seated and where you are forced to exit the Aviva, which may be different from your entry point, as it might be a little longer walk back to the car park but nothing extensive.

Just set your sat nav co-ordinates 53.328949,-6.22415 for the hockey ground or 4 Serpentine Ave, Dublin.

http://www.pembrokewanderers.ie/club-info/aviva-car-parking/

Bring plenty of change for the M1 bridge, Port Tunnel and East Link tolls and then the reverse.

AhNowRef

Thanks for the info folks ... Some good info there ....

I think I will take the car after all !!!

Cheers  :)

Fuzzman

I'd say if you want to park around there you'll need to get there quite early

Hound

Quote from: DickyRock on June 02, 2017, 09:22:45 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on June 02, 2017, 06:43:50 PM
Don't go! Oh, right...

Can you get a ticket from those? Seen my number plate pop up a few times a couple of years ago, but then again I've got a english reg car so maybe they thought it wasn't worth the hassle.
The number plate signs were only a slow down warning, don't think they ever issued tickets from them.

But new system in place now. Cameras takes a photo of you entering and then leaving the tunnel. From the time of the photos, they work out your average speed, and if it exceeds 80km/h then ticket issued. Not sure how it works with UK reg.

Rois

Mind your speed before and after the tunnel too!

I got a speeding ticket just before the Port Tunnel heading northbound a few weeks ago.  Just be careful you stick to 50km - I didn't even think about it, I took off from the traffic lights at the port, sped up to get past a bus so that I would be able to go through the right toll booth, started to slow down to approach the payment booth and was pulled in by a garda on a motorbike just before it.  Saw a garda sitting there a week later around 7am on a Sunday morning too. 

So €80 fine and automatic 3 points on a newly created record in the south - to make matters worse, I then had to go through the toll and pay €10.

Fuzzman

Was curious how you got on that time.
Did you park near the ground?
Was there much traffic?