Why are Posters obsessed about Dublin GAA??

Started by kerryforsam2018, September 12, 2018, 04:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who is the most obsessed about Dublin GAA

Dinny Breen
5 (17.9%)
Syfin
11 (39.3%)
From the Bunker
5 (17.9%)
Pricey Reilly
6 (21.4%)
RossFan
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: September 12, 2019, 04:00:01 PM

Dinny Breen

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 20, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 20, 2018, 02:11:09 PM
@Priceyreilly

In answer to your question,

Hard work by thousands of volunteers, good coaching structures put in place, a long term plan by visionaries, more of the population playing GAA , at underage anyway, a good recruitment drive from clubs, clubs bettering themselves with structures and facilities,  Good corporate governance, good club Community spirit, historical competing and in regards specifically to the senior footballers, Jim Gavin and the structures and mindset he put in place along with some of the naturally gifted footballers the country has produced and some of the hardworking group of footballers every produced in the country.

There you go, have a great day.

;D We have an answer!!! One that can be ripped apart but an answer at least. Here we go:

Hard work by thousands of volunteers - Every county has hard working volunteers
good coaching structures put in place - Highly financed coaching structures. Paid regional development officers overseeing the work by paid coaches under elite pathway programs
a long term plan by visionaries - A plan devised by the GAA Review Committee and impossible without Bertie support
more of the population playing GAA - Dublin have always had more population playing GAA
at underage anyway - Underage and senior
a good recruitment drive from clubs - This was apart of the plan overseen by the highly paid officers
clubs bettering themselves with structures and facilities - Again, the money provided paid coaches which pushed this
Good corporate governance - The increased success off the back of the financial doping attracted numerous new sponsors worth millions more
good club Community spirit - Same in every county
historical competing and in regards specifically to the senior footballers - Senior footballers moved from a top 8 team to unbeatable, hurlers went from minnows to provincial champions and All Ireland contenders, underage results went from hopeless to dominant, again all bought
Jim Gavin and the structures and mindset he put in place along with some of the naturally gifted footballers the country has produced and some of the hardworking group of footballers every produced in the country - Gaelic Games first professional team! Players created through the multi million euro development system and then coached and prepared by an extensive backroom team consisting of some highly paid coaches. 

So fair play for actually attempting an answer but unfortunately for you, I just batted it out of the park.  :)

#newbridgeornowhere

dublin7

Quote from: mup on September 21, 2018, 08:51:20 AM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 20, 2018, 06:46:17 PM
Quote from: TheGreatest on September 20, 2018, 02:11:09 PM
@Priceyreilly

In answer to your question,

Hard work by thousands of volunteers, good coaching structures put in place, a long term plan by visionaries, more of the population playing GAA , at underage anyway, a good recruitment drive from clubs, clubs bettering themselves with structures and facilities,  Good corporate governance, good club Community spirit, historical competing and in regards specifically to the senior footballers, Jim Gavin and the structures and mindset he put in place along with some of the naturally gifted footballers the country has produced and some of the hardworking group of footballers every produced in the country.

There you go, have a great day.

;D We have an answer!!! One that can be ripped apart but an answer at least. Here we go:

Hard work by thousands of volunteers - Every county has hard working volunteers
good coaching structures put in place - Highly financed coaching structures. Paid regional development officers overseeing the work by paid coaches under elite pathway programs
a long term plan by visionaries - A plan devised by the GAA Review Committee and impossible without Bertie support
more of the population playing GAA - Dublin have always had more population playing GAA
at underage anyway - Underage and senior
a good recruitment drive from clubs - This was apart of the plan overseen by the highly paid officers
clubs bettering themselves with structures and facilities - Again, the money provided paid coaches which pushed this
Good corporate governance - The increased success off the back of the financial doping attracted numerous new sponsors worth millions more
good club Community spirit - Same in every county
historical competing and in regards specifically to the senior footballers - Senior footballers moved from a top 8 team to unbeatable, hurlers went from minnows to provincial champions and All Ireland contenders, underage results went from hopeless to dominant, again all bought
Jim Gavin and the structures and mindset he put in place along with some of the naturally gifted footballers the country has produced and some of the hardworking group of footballers every produced in the country - Gaelic Games first professional team! Players created through the multi million euro development system and then coached and prepared by an extensive backroom team consisting of some highly paid coaches. 

So fair play for actually attempting an answer but unfortunately for you, I just batted it out of the park.  :)

Great post.

Don't expect a coherent rebuttal from some of the ostriches on here. I actually like this Dublin team. It's the steadfast refusal by most of their supporters to acknowledge that the upturn in finances is linked to their success is what makes me laugh. Of course there are other reasons but to dismiss the finance one is pathetic.

Of course money is an important factor, but to put it all down to funding is just rubbish.

If population is such a key fact why don't China dominate in every sport. All the top clubs in dublin these days have a few country players on the team. These players spot youg dublin players from playing senior football. Can you imagine the outcry if Dublin county board banned all non-dublin players from playing for dublin clubs to get more young players coming through. Either way they can't win.

People can bitch and moan about the dubs all they long (and some do on this forum) but what's the alternative? At least the dubs play an attractive to watch style of football. The majority of the remaing teams (especially the northern teams) play such a defensive boring brand off football that watching these teams play each other has become a form of torture.

I've seen Johnny Cooper practicing his kicking on his own in Na Fianna's pitch in Glasnevin. Cluxton is incredibl focused on his training. These players put the work in to maintain and improve their skills.

finally their is possbily good news for Dublin football fans and every other county who wants to compete with the dubs, that former player Rory O'Carroll is back in Ireland after spending time in New Zealand. Hopefully he gets back into the football. Dubs are spoilt for chice in the forwards but not as much quality in the defensive cover.

TheGreatest

Or even worse Dublin 7 , ban all culchies all together from being members of Dublin clubs. People from the country that move to Dublin are part of the life blood of Dublin clubs. A lot of the GDO's are from the country. The last manager I played under was a club man from Tipp that has volunteered in the club for the last 50 years.

Anyway I enjoy reading the negative posts, it gives me pleasure winning makes you all so miserable and jealous. Long may it continue.

mup

Oh dear. I'm embarrassed for you.

Talk about contradicting oneself.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on September 21, 2018, 11:57:37 AM
Oh dear. I'm embarrassed for you.

Talk about contradicting oneself.

I also am embarrassed for priceoreilly

Lar Naparka

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 20, 2018, 09:05:56 AM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 19, 2018, 10:41:25 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 19, 2018, 06:19:53 PM
Because hard work and talent has nothing to do with it

54 titles since 2005 in all grades and levels. 14 in the previous 13 years. And it just so happened that the enormous funding disparity begun 13 years ago. Some sort of freak coincidence or instringently linked? Let's get real here. It's all bought. I haven't even added in the club titles for clubs in Dublin, it's gone up from 4 to 17 in the past 13 years compared to the 13 before.
I'd like a good laugh so can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for the huge increase in titles since 2005 which coincided with the huge increase in funding for Dublin GAA?

So you think hard work and talent have no bearing on this at all? And cut the bought titles shite will ye
I have no problem whatever with your question but you follow up is a bit iffy. It takes hard work and training to win titles of any sort and having talented young players helps a lot too. But all that is not the full story, as some Dubs claim.
I mean why does a side full of talented players need to train harder than any other county when there are plenty of talented players available?  A second string Dub side would probably beat any other team in the country.
Is the reason why they can train harder and  for longer because they don't have to travel long distance to their training grounds?
That's the usual answer you'll get from Dublin supporters here. However, that's not the full story.  The Dublin clubs are structured in a way that's biased towards the gifted players.
The way they operate can be compared to a pyramid- scores, maybe hundreds, of young players but only be one senior side at the top.
All sorts of field sports have a wastage rate when players drop out as they get older but the bigger the club, the more that leave is because there are no places for them as they move up the age levels.
In other words, some leave because they want to but many leave because they have to.
As Hound pointed out, the standard of Dublin club football is very high. It couldn't be otherwise as only the better ones are kept as the players move up a grade.
As well as that they have an excellent scouting system where gifted players are spotted at an early stage of their careers are discovered and get extra coaching to develop their talent long before they get to player in adult competitions.
No wonder Dublin has so many youngsters pressing inclusion on the senior panel. That means in turn that those already on the team are always in fear of losing their places if they don't train hard.
While their operate the megaclub system, Dublin will never be short of players who work hard and of talented younger ones trying to knock them out of their way.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

tonto1888

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 20, 2018, 10:04:38 AM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 19, 2018, 11:24:41 PM
Ah go on, add em up. You love them tables. I'd have thought you'd have one done already. I used your original one to make a screensaver for my computer. Thanks for that. Club titles not as impressive a screensaver. But I'm sure it'll still look good.

Quote from: OffTheDeck on September 20, 2018, 01:51:04 AM
Jesus I don't like seeing the dubs win as much as the next man but to put the whole thing down to money is ignorance at its finest. There are a lot more factors at play than just money. Population, commitment, facilities and management. They have clearly utilised all these factors and are at a clear advantage for doing so but how do we combat all those things? Start by matching the standard set by them for those other factors and the money may not even matter.

So you think hard work and talent have no bearing on this at all? And cut the bought titles shite will ye

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 20, 2018, 09:22:13 AM
Wasting your breath on these guys Tonto, multiple threads on the Dubs, they are more obsessed with Dublin than their own team or clubs.

I stated before, people always hated the Dubs, now its gone up 10 fold since the senior footballers have  a good team, which is only a small part of Dublin GAA.

Could you imagine if or when the  Hurlers win an All Ireland, there will be marches through the streets, or fields in some cases.

Long may it continue.

4 posters couldn't even attempt to answer the question! Here it is again:

Can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for the huge increase in titles since 2005 which coincided with the huge increase in funding for Dublin GAA?

Go on, give it a go!

My answer was in the question I asked you which you are unwilling or unable to answer. FWIW I'm not from Dublin and yes I think the money they got is unfair but it is stupid to put that down as the sole reason for their success

Oh, and syf complaining about WUM accounts is really funny

tonto1888

Quote from: Lar Naparka on September 21, 2018, 01:15:05 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on September 19, 2018, 06:19:53 PM
Because hard work and talent has nothing to do with it

54 titles since 2005 in all grades and levels. 14 in the previous 13 years. And it just so happened that the enormous funding disparity begun 13 years ago. Some sort of freak coincidence or instringently linked? Let's get real here. It's all bought. I haven't even added in the club titles for clubs in Dublin, it's gone up from 4 to 17 in the past 13 years compared to the 13 before.
I'd like a good laugh so can anyone come up with a reasonable explanation for the huge increase in titles since 2005 which coincided with the huge increase in funding for Dublin GAA?

I have no problem whatever with your question but you follow up is a bit iffy. It takes hard work and training to win titles of any sort and having talented young players helps a lot too. But all that is not the full story, as some Dubs claim.
I mean why does a side full of talented players need to train harder than any other county when there are plenty of talented players available?  A second string Dub side would probably beat any other team in the country.
Is the reason why they can train harder and  for longer because they don't have to travel long distance to their training grounds?
That's the usual answer you'll get from Dublin supporters here. However, that's not the full story.  The Dublin clubs are structured in a way that's biased towards the gifted players.
The way they operate can be compared to a pyramid- scores, maybe hundreds, of young players but only be one senior side at the top.
All sorts of field sports have a wastage rate when players drop out as they get older but the bigger the club, the more that leave is because there are no places for them as they move up the age levels.
In other words, some leave because they want to but many leave because they have to.
As Hound pointed out, the standard of Dublin club football is very high. It couldn't be otherwise as only the better ones are kept as the players move up a grade.
As well as that they have an excellent scouting system where gifted players are spotted at an early stage of their careers are discovered and get extra coaching to develop their talent long before they get to player in adult competitions.
No wonder Dublin has so many youngsters pressing inclusion on the senior panel. That means in turn that those already on the team are always in fear of losing their places if they don't train hard.
While their operate the megaclub system, Dublin will never be short of players who work hard and of talented younger ones trying to knock them out of their way.

The point of my follow up is that Procey seemingly discounts hard work and talent from contributing to the success of this Dublin team. Do I think the money they get is unfair? I do. Does money automatically guarantee success ? It doesn't. Is it the sole reason for Dublin's success? Certainly not

You make good points regarding travel and what not and Dublin undoubtedly have other natural advantages over other counties. We can't be blaming them for that tho can we?

priceyreilly

From the Bunker

Lads it's a one off golden generation that is winning these 54 titles! Money had nothing to do with it. It was all about hard work. Other counties are lazy and talentless and can't be bothered going out raising money.

priceyreilly

Quote from: dublin7 on September 21, 2018, 11:03:54 AM
Of course money is an important factor, but to put it all down to funding is just rubbish.

If population is such a key fact why don't China dominate in every sport. All the top clubs in dublin these days have a few country players on the team. These players spot youg dublin players from playing senior football. Can you imagine the outcry if Dublin county board banned all non-dublin players from playing for dublin clubs to get more young players coming through. Either way they can't win.

People can bitch and moan about the dubs all they long (and some do on this forum) but what's the alternative? At least the dubs play an attractive to watch style of football. The majority of the remaing teams (especially the northern teams) play such a defensive boring brand off football that watching these teams play each other has become a form of torture.

I've seen Johnny Cooper practicing his kicking on his own in Na Fianna's pitch in Glasnevin. Cluxton is incredibl focused on his training. These players put the work in to maintain and improve their skills.

finally their is possbily good news for Dublin football fans and every other county who wants to compete with the dubs, that former player Rory O'Carroll is back in Ireland after spending time in New Zealand. Hopefully he gets back into the football. Dubs are spoilt for chice in the forwards but not as much quality in the defensive cover.

You basically went off on a tangent because the financial doping can't be defended.

Maybe if Dublin GAA used the millions of euro to create new clubs and really take the fight to other sports like rugby and soccer, then more children in Dublin would be involved in GAA. The plan to split Dublin in 4 will assist in doing this. Each of the 4 county boards can target specific areas directly and have far more underage players choosing GAA in our capital. The 4 new counties will obviously offer more players a route to playing inter county football also. This and the increased number of clubs will fight against the drop off rate in Dublin.

priceyreilly

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 21, 2018, 03:18:50 PM
My answer was in the question I asked you which you are unwilling or unable to answer. FWIW I'm not from Dublin and yes I think the money they got is unfair but it is stupid to put that down as the sole reason for their success

The answer to your question is this part:

Senior footballers moved from a top 8 team to unbeatable, hurlers went from minnows to provincial champions and All Ireland contenders, underage results went from hopeless to dominant, again all bought.

The money has brought huge change. Dublin would not have won any of the 6 recent All Ireland's without the conveyor belt of talent who came through the system. You can't underestimate it. As I've been pointing out, the footballers get all the headlines but the improvements in other areas like hurling, underage and club is just as huge.

tonto1888

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 21, 2018, 04:12:46 PM

Senior footballers moved from a top 8 team to unbeatable, hurlers went from minnows to provincial champions and All Ireland contenders, underage results went from hopeless to dominant, again all bought.

The money has brought huge change. Dublin would not have won any of the 6 recent All Ireland's without the conveyor belt of talent who came through the system. You can't underestimate it. As I've been pointing out, the footballers get all the headlines but the improvements in other areas like hurling, underage and club is just as huge.

You know a lot more about it than me. I will give you that. However, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The money helped. That's for sure. But money does not give that Dublin team the desire they have to win. It does not give them their work ethic and it certainly doesn't give them the natural talent that a lot of their players have

dublin7

Quote from: priceyreilly on September 21, 2018, 04:07:54 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on September 21, 2018, 11:03:54 AM

You basically went off on a tangent because the financial doping can't be defended.

Maybe if Dublin GAA used the millions of euro to create new clubs and really take the fight to other sports like rugby and soccer, then more children in Dublin would be involved in GAA. The plan to split Dublin in 4 will assist in doing this. Each of the 4 county boards can target specific areas directly and have far more underage players choosing GAA in our capital. The 4 new counties will obviously offer more players a route to playing inter county football also. This and the increased number of clubs will fight against the drop off rate in Dublin.

So it's that simple is it? Just throw s**t load of money at a county and success is guaranteed. I tried to offer reasons and you just ignored them. Classy

Where exactly should these new clubs be established and who is going to pay for it? Don't think AIG are going to spend big bucks to sponsor Dublin West. Have you any idea how expensive land is in Dublin at the the moment? You have no problem with the GAA spending millions (and that's not an exaggeration) to buy land for all these new club's, pitches, clubhouse etc.

I imagine all our country cousins will be supportive and wouldn't even consider complaining

From the Bunker

Quote from: tonto1888 on September 21, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
Quote from: priceyreilly on September 21, 2018, 04:12:46 PM

You know a lot more about it than me. I will give you that. However, I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The money helped. That's for sure. But money does not give that Dublin team the desire they have to win. It does not give them their work ethic and it certainly doesn't give them the natural talent that a lot of their players have

Money buys you the top people you can employ to have and teach these ethics. Money buys and gets you the top people for strength and conditioning. Money buys you decent coaches. And that is just at the end stage!

Money helps the whole way up. How can it not?

You make it sound like being on the Dublin panel is a great sacrifice?