Murder of Aisling Murphy

Started by trileacman, January 14, 2022, 02:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 18, 2022, 10:07:05 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on January 18, 2022, 09:50:28 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 18, 2022, 09:25:48 PM
What happened the wee girl was awful and sorry for slightly off topic but the media (social & MSM) definitely drives or determines who gets mourned and who doesn't. Compare Aisling to the Mongolian lady stabbed in Dublin....another one is Sarah Everard to the Muslim girl in South East London. One all over the papers, the other hardly mentioned despite being weeks apart.

Yeah absolutely, occupation always gets mentioned in the first line of the story. Marketing executive Sarah Everard, Teacher Aisling Murphy etc. You don't really see that when it's someone unemployed or doing menial work murdered. It's been like that for years now I suppose. There is certainly a hierarchy of victims

And a hierarchy of assailants too. I wonder what the narrative would be if the alleged killer was a 30 year old GAA, rugby or soccer star from the town?

Do you mean he'd get a easier time if he was a local star or a worse time.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

What happened the wee girl was awful and sorry for slightly off topic but the media (social & MSM) definitely drives or determines who gets mourned and who doesn't. Compare Aisling to the Mongolian lady stabbed in Dublin....another one is Sarah Everard to the Muslim girl in South East London. One all over the papers, the other hardly mentioned despite being weeks apart.

Yeah absolutely, occupation always gets mentioned in the first line of the story. Marketing executive Sarah Everard, Teacher Aisling Murphy etc. You don't really see that when it's someone unemployed or doing menial work murdered. It's been like that for years now I suppose. There is certainly a hierarchy of victims
There is always a hierarchy when it comes to these cases. Age and looks play a part in the emotional response as well as colour, background, occupation. It is just human nature as all people make judgements.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: trileacman on January 18, 2022, 10:31:41 PM

And a hierarchy of assailants too. I wonder what the narrative would be if the alleged killer was a 30 year old GAA, rugby or soccer star from the town?

I genuinely don't know but I suspect an easier time.

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2022, 10:35:06 PM

There is always a hierarchy when it comes to these cases. Age and looks play a part in the emotional response as well as colour, background, occupation. It is just human nature as all people make judgements.

human nature or learned behaviour..... not for this thread...

whitey

Quote from: PadraicHenryPearse on January 18, 2022, 10:57:14 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2022, 10:35:06 PM

human nature or learned behaviour..... not for this thread...

People are more emotionally involved when a victim looks like them or has a lot in common with them

If someone got shot dead in a gangland or traveller feud, most people on here (or anywhere else for that matter) wouldn't give 2 Fv{ks

armaghniac

It even goes beyond what people look like. The Mongolian lady just didn't know many Irish people and was not in widespread associations like Comhaltas or the GAA to say nothing of a school.

If your granny dies in the normal way or a well known author or TV person dies there is a difference in coverage.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

seafoid

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/man-charged-with-murder-of-ashling-murphy-in-tullamore-co-offaly-1.4780743

A man has been remanded in custody for a week charged with the murder of Ashling Murphy.

Jozef Puska (31), with an address at Lynally Grove, Mucklagh, Co Offaly appeared at special sitting of Tullamore District Court on Wednesday evening.

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

nrico2006

Why is the face blurred out of the person of interest riding the bike that was caught on CCTV?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Captain Scarlet

It's a fuckin media circus and now they are all warning the plebs on social media not to post things on social media.
They gave enough details on the initial suspect to identify him, then blamed Social Media.

Chaos at court today and all the outlets with reporters there after earlier tweeting he will at the courthouse at 8.15pm.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

trileacman

Reports on Twitter of a Slovakian Roma getting a beating on a street by a gang of men in Dublin because he was a "friend" of the accused.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

RedHand88

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 19, 2022, 11:04:48 PM
It's a fuckin media circus and now they are all warning the plebs on social media not to post things on social media.
They gave enough details on the initial suspect to identify him, then blamed Social Media.

Chaos at court today and all the outlets with reporters there after earlier tweeting he will at the courthouse at 8.15pm.

It's already the Irish rugby trial all over again.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 20, 2022, 06:38:22 AM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 19, 2022, 11:04:48 PM

It's already the Irish rugby trial all over again.
who died in that one?

An Astrail

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on January 18, 2022, 10:47:10 PM
Quote from: trileacman on January 18, 2022, 10:31:41 PM

I genuinely don't know but I suspect an easier time.

Two parts to that one:

Does it make a good story? 'Local star' would definitely be a big story and get the coverage, same as 'recent immigrant' has.

Does it make the alleged criminal more relatable to the average reader/viewer/journalist? 'Local star' definitely more relatable so you tend to get the mitigating factors rolling out - he was under pressure in some way, partner recently left him, financial issues etc. Makes it easier to separate ourselves from him but also starts to give the perpetrator an out - wasn't really his fault in some way.

Deerstalker

Just reading the updates on the cross examination of the suspect, he has now 18 months later changed his story to him being attacked by a masked man, who had also killed Aisling Murphy, and he just went to assist her in the bushes where she was found.

Have to say he's getting torn to shreds in the updates I have seen, he has admitted to lying continually to police, shaving his beard off in the immediate aftermath of the attack to avoid detection.