Will Paramount's switch to Blu-Ray spell end of HD DVD ?

Started by Minder, January 09, 2008, 10:59:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

The sprawling consortium of technology and media companies assembled to promote the HD DVD format of next-generation, high-definition discs could be close to collapse after a spate of defections to the rival Blu-ray Disc consortium.

As many as 20 companies that are members of the HD DVD Promotion Group could be preparing to remove their names from the alliance's 130-strong membership list, The Times has learnt.

The defections could, one Tokyo-based analyst said, represent the final nails in the coffin of Toshiba's HD DVD standard after a bitterly fought "format war".

A war that Hollywood must wage
International outlook is a world of difference
Eiichi Katayama, of Nomura Securities, said that the battle between the formats, which display films and video games more sharply in an era of ever-larger television screens, was now "entering its final phase".

The threatened exodus from the HD DVD format comes after the decision by Warner Bros last week to back the rival Blu-ray Disc format, whose main technology backers include Sony, Apple and Dell. Apparently encouraged by the strong momentum behind Blu-ray, Paramount emerged yesterday as the latest Hollywood studio poised to switch allegiances.

Pony Canyon, a Japanese music, animation and film studio and part of the Fuji Television media empire, said that although it was a member of the HD DVD Promotion Group, the decisions taken by American studios meant that it would "choose Blu-ray in the end". Several other Japanese companies, including content producers and electronics component makers, said that their support of HD DVD was "under review".

Backers of HD DVD point to the relative ease of producing the discs and the lower cost of building machines capable of reading them. Unlike previous format wars, particularly the Betamax v VHS skirmish in the 1980s, the Blu-ray v HD DVD war effectively has been decided in board-rooms, rather than in electronics showrooms. The decisions of the big studios have come well before those of customers, who generally have held back from picking one format for fear of backing a loser. Paramount has turned out to be a pivotal figure. Its decision in August to give exclusive backing to HD DVD was seen as a potentially devastating blow to the prospects of Blu-ray and to the strategy of Sir Howard Stringer, Sony's president. Sir Howard argued, however, that the PlayStation3 games console, which includes a Blu-ray disc player, would put the format in people's living rooms more quickly than HD DVD players would be adopted by consumers.

Paramount, like other members of the HD DVD group such as Fujitsu, Lenovo and Kenwood, has hedged its bets. It offered exclusivity on the basis that it could reverse the decision should Warner Bros switch to Blu-ray.

Facing a future with only Universal Pictures as its big Hollywood supporter, analysts at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas said that Toshiba and HD DVD could quickly be isolated.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

lfdown2

Gnevin

The internet has spelt the end too both of these stupid formats
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Gnevin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 09, 2008, 02:12:53 PM
how so?
Well for me personally I don't really re watch films that much,not for years after anyway.

If their is something i want to watch i just download ,stream into the xbox . If i really want too seem something with the sound and great picture i go to the cinema
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

Well I bought the odd blu-ray to watch on the PS3. But they're  bit too dear compared to the normal DVD which are really cheap and have great sound and visuals to me. Then again after years of VHS it doesnt take a lot to impress. But ultimately couldnt things be brought out on all formats. Why this a big deal anyway.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Gnevin on January 09, 2008, 01:14:21 PM

Like it spelt the end to Papers?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Star Spangler

Quote from: Gnevin on January 09, 2008, 02:47:32 PM
how so?
Well for me personally I don't really re watch films that much,not for years after anyway.

If their is something i want to watch i just download ,stream into the xbox . If i really want too seem something with the sound and great picture i go to the cinema

Can you get HD quality streaming from the internet?

Gnevin

Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 08:15:07 PM
how so?

No yet ,A HD disk is 30 GB .
I'm all for the HD quality but i think i was over sold . I watch a lot of stuff in Sky HD but I've never stopped and though wow the quality in that scene was great or watch something in SD and said well if only it was in HD . Its great for sport aright

Gnevin

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 10, 2008, 08:09:52 PM
Quote from: Gnevin on January 09, 2008, 01:14:21 PM

Like it spelt the end to Papers?

I sort of over stated that , as I've said above I meant for me personally

Star Spangler

Quote from: Gnevin on January 10, 2008, 08:50:14 PM
Quote from: Star Spangler on January 10, 2008, 08:15:07 PM
how so?

No yet ,A HD disk is 30 GB .
I'm all for the HD quality but i think i was over sold . I watch a lot of stuff in Sky HD but I've never stopped and though wow the quality in that scene was great or watch something in SD and said well if only it was in HD . Its great for sport aright

I watched Mad Max II on blu-ray the other night and thought it was class.  HD is at its best when there's a lot of wide open space involved.

Doire abú

Haven't got round to buyin a HD TV yet. Can someone explain what exactly is the story?
Will a HD Tv make terrestrial and Sky Digital pictures (and sound) look better or will I have to get Sky HD in as well to reap to notice any difference?

Gabriel_Hurl