Linfield V CVille

Started by Square Ball, January 07, 2008, 08:14:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shortso79

I see Sky's next Irish league match is .....

Newry City v Coleraine on the 4th of February !

The Watcher Pat

Must hav been the worst game of football ever shown Live on TV.
Such a waste of subscribers money........ >:(
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

dublinfella

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 08, 2008, 09:00:32 AM
Fair enough lads, it may have been a poor enough match, but Cliftonville had a good few first team regulars injured and suspended, so from a Reds perspective it was a great result! Connolly the keeper had an outstanding game (wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been noticed by a league team in England on that performance!).

the people who you are talking to have no interest in being fair, they see soccer as the enemy and that means it should get no coverage, end of.

stephenite

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 01:31:03 AM
Fair enough lads, it may have been a poor enough match, but Cliftonville had a good few first team regulars injured and suspended, so from a Reds perspective it was a great result! Connolly the keeper had an outstanding game (wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't been noticed by a league team in England on that performance!).

the people who you are talking to have no interest in being fair, they see soccer as the enemy and that means it should get no coverage, end of.

Jeez - Nearly every second thread on this side of the board is devoted to soccer teams - hardly the enemy than, is it?

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on January 09, 2008, 01:35:17 AM
Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 01:31:03 AM

Jeez - Nearly every second thread on this side of the board is devoted to soccer teams - hardly the enemy than, is it?

thats foreign football. the difference in attitude to domestic ball is palpable.

stephenite

I've been to enough Irish league games in Solitude, Seaview, Shamrock Park, Larne, Newry and everywhere else between to know that this league can throw up some crackers, as well as some of the biggest piles of steaming shit you'll ever have the misfortune to see.

Bit like the League of Ireland in that respect.

Spolit with the quality available on the TV now from all corners of the globe that we all actually know poor soccer when we see it. And while I've come round to the view that all soccer is poor, I certainly don't view either league in Ireland as the enemy, it's too crap to even be a threat and that's calling a spade a spade Dublinfella, not trying to be deliberately offenisve.

From a GAA perspective I think they should be encouraged to show more of this tripe as opposed to any of the foreign games :P

Puckoon

Marty woodhead (of activsport fame) scoring the winner for Omagh Town F.C. (RIP) to beat Linfield in the 1991 budweiser cup final peaked my interest in irish soccer. I play it three times a week cos there is no gaelic club over here (nor anyone willing to even kick an O'Neills ball around). I follow arsenal pretty well - but watch few games. I just like to rub it into the soccer heads at work who support united, chelsea, liverpool and spurs.

dublinfella

Quote from: stephenite on January 09, 2008, 01:54:19 AM
I've been to enough Irish league games in Solitude, Seaview, Shamrock Park, Larne, Newry and everywhere else between to know that this league can throw up some crackers, as well as some of the biggest piles of steaming shit you'll ever have the misfortune to see.

Bit like the League of Ireland in that respect.

Spolit with the quality available on the TV now from all corners of the globe that we all actually know poor soccer when we see it. And while I've come round to the view that all soccer is poor, I certainly don't view either league in Ireland as the enemy, it's too crap to even be a threat and that's calling a spade a spade Dublinfella, not trying to be deliberately offenisve.

From a GAA perspective I think they should be encouraged to show more of this tripe as opposed to any of the foreign games :P

it wasnt directed at you, but there is an element in the GAA and on this board who have no problem supporting Liverpool or Celtic but see local soccer players, from junior to professional as potential GAA players and despise them their choice. people would wish shamrock rovers out of a stadium and bankrupt on the GAA board and flip to here and talk about the english game and not see any hypocricy in it at all.

stephenite

Quote from: hardstation on January 09, 2008, 02:49:03 AM
*Scoring 7 goals in a county minor hurling final is some going.

Even if it is just Antrim :P

saffron sam2

Brian Close for O'Donovan Rossa in Belfast who won Man of the Tournament at the Milk Cup and was snapped up by Middlesboro (now at Chesterfield, I think) about 9 years ago. He got full support from his school and club despite being probably* the best talent in both hurling and football in Antrim for years.

Recently released by Darlington and currently plying his trade with Billingham Synthonia.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Minder

Quote from: saffron sam2 on January 09, 2008, 08:42:03 AM

Brian Close for O'Donovan Rossa in Belfast who won Man of the Tournament at the Milk Cup and was snapped up by Middlesboro (now at Chesterfield, I think) about 9 years ago. He got full support from his school and club despite being probably* the best talent in both hurling and football in Antrim for years.

Recently released by Darlington and currently plying his trade with Billingham Synthonia.

I remember hearing when he signed his first contract with Boro he bought a set of decks and some material for funny cigarettes.........You can take the boy outta........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

his holiness nb

Quote from: dublinfella on January 09, 2008, 02:18:35 AM
there is an element in the GAA and on this board who have no problem supporting Liverpool or Celtic but see local soccer players, from junior to professional as potential GAA players and despise them their choice. people would wish shamrock rovers out of a stadium and bankrupt on the GAA board and flip to here and talk about the english game and not see any hypocricy in it at all.

I know you dont like me replying to your posts, but tough, theres too much crap in that post to resist.
If you read through the threads about the Aussie rules teams poaching young GAA talent, already trained up to the age of 18-20 by the GAA, you will find that there are very few people here that would begrudge a young lad the chance to make a living in any sport.
Also theres a thread re Kevin Moran who quit GAA in his prime to play with Man Utd and nobody has a bad word to say about him.
Re seeing young lads playing soccer and "despising them their choice", there is of course competition for players between the sports, but to "despise" is a bit strong. This is the same when soccer clubs see young lads playing GAA and see them as potential soccer players. Do these guys "despise them their choice" too, or is the bitterness just from the GAA side?
I've cetainly spoked to a few guys who played for both the local soccer and GAA teams and it was the soccer team putting them under pressure to quit the GAA, not the other way round.

I am not a soccer fan, but would watch the big foreign games on tv as the standards and skills can be very entertaining, as a result I will occasionally post my views on what I have seen. I dont watch local soccer for two reasons, I'm not that into it so I couldnt be arsed travelling to see the games, and the standards compared with England and Spain, are quite frankly awful.
This is not hypocritical at all, nor is supporting Thomas Davis despite "supporting" an English team. The Thomas Davis argument was debated on the facts of the case, it wasnt merely a "soccer versus GAA" debate, so again to suggest hypocracy in supporting TD yet also supporting Liverpool is rubbish.

Also I dont wish Shamrock rovers out of a stadium and bankrupt, I couldnt give a f**k. Thinking TD deserved to share the stadium was the argument, it wasnt about bankrupting Rovers, and you know that. I dont know why you think the GAA community would, out of the blue, argue this purely to ruin Rovers. They arent exactly a threat to the GAA and to be honest I dont think Rovers registered on the GAA radar before this debate, simply not a concern.

Now the last thing I want is the stadium debate opened again as we all know you think the reasons for TD trying to get into the stadium are much more sinister, but the suggestion that supporting TD in their case and posting on a soccer thread about what happens on the field as opposed to off it shows hypocracy is ridiculous.
Despite what you may believe, many people are fans of both sports.
Ask me holy bollix

Rav67

Quote from: hardstation on January 09, 2008, 01:47:19 AM
I was talking to a lad in the Hatfield last night. He said, "I was at the match there." I asked him the score and he said "0-0, an absolute pile of sh*te."
He's a Cliftonville supporting soccer head.

Was that the bouncer Roy(I think you call him) by any chance, he doesn't miss too many Cliftonville games?

dublinfella

I have no problem with you replying to me as for once, you dealt with what I said, not launch a personal attack.

Quote from: his holiness nb on January 09, 2008, 09:39:53 AM
Also I dont wish Shamrock rovers out of a stadium and bankrupt, I couldnt give a f**k. Thinking TD deserved to share the stadium was the argument, it wasnt about bankrupting Rovers, and you know that. I dont know why you think the GAA community would, out of the blue, argue this purely to ruin Rovers. They arent exactly a threat to the GAA and to be honest I dont think Rovers registered on the GAA radar before this debate, simply not a concern.

If you still think, despite the attempts by TD to delay their own case, despite the fact that they admitted they didnt plan on using the facility, despite the fact that the Judge called in a nuisance suit and wondered why the local GAA club wasnt taking the case and despite the fact that the GAA have been objecting to Rovers moving to Tallaght since they announced plans that this is about the GAA getting use of the stadium, well then good luck. Shamrock Rovers are a threat to the GAA in Tallaght, as seen by them going from none to 40 underage teams in 10 years.

All i'm saying is that there are posters here who clearly despise Irish football but like foreign stuff and base this around some sense of loyalty to the GAA. Its a very perverse sense of patriotism.