Oh My God Help Me I'm Starving to Death

Started by pintsofguinness, January 07, 2008, 07:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Nah passedit, I get bloods done all the time if there's anything wrong I get a call - my dr is not like other doctors - he's...well I don't know how to describe him...scary among other things.

I'd rather not know.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerry

day three.

you have better chance of succeeding if you cut back gently rather than all at once.

to loose weight, its a case of burning more calories than you eat. exercise here we come.

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Treasurer

Quote from: Zulu on January 07, 2008, 10:32:29 PM
Pog I'm the exact same as you if I start i won't stop, so that is why I'd recommend cutting sweets and chocolate altogether. Now that you will eat fruit that makes it much easier.

Same here.  I lost a lot of weight last year with shake diet, it was tough, but a doddle compared to trying to keep the weight off by doing the whole healthy eating routine!

Part of it too is to accept that you'll have "bad" days, just don't let them turn into bad weeks.

imtommygunn

Cutting down all at once and you are effectively crash dieting... You'd be best try and regulate things rather than go gung ho at it. What will happen if you sustain this diet is that in 1/2 months,depending on your will power, you'll eat a bar of chocolate get the taste for it and then go right back to where you were.

Set yourself goals - you say you eat three chocolate bars at a sitting. Try saying to yourself you can have x chocolate bars a week and the same goes with crisps. Maybe not those numbers but set targets and ween yourself down to a reasonable level. Get yourself then into a regime of having a controlled, reasonably healthy diet.

It is not feasible for most people to have their carbs pre 5 pm with working life etc so I suppose the best thing to do is to "ration" them to reasonable amounts.

I used to eat a serious amount of chocolate and crisps but I have seriously cut it down - not through crash dieting but through "targets".

Here's what I had...
Breakfast - bowl of porridge oats and one slice of toast
Lunch - bagel with roast beef, salad and a wee bit of cheese
Dinner - Wholewheat pasta with tomatoy type sauce, bit of chicken, onions and peppers.
Snacks - I buy fruit and nuts for snacks and also had a banana and an apple.
2.5 litres of water, one cup of tea, one glass of milk.

N.B. I have weened myself down to that from a diet of pizza, chinese,ready meals, crisps and chocolate. The main reason I changed the diet so much was for fitness levels - they always were good but eating like the above has made a massive difference to them.Also - 4 litres of water is probably a bit much unless you are doing some serious training. The above had a 5 mile run in the middle of it...

You actually feel so much better / more energetic eating like the above. I would say try and phase your snacks into being fruit and nuts, bananas, apples etc. from chocolate. Key word there is ween though. Realistically you don't have to go crazy just be healthy. Just control the junk food, ween yourself from the cravings etc and you'll be fine. It's easy - think of it as lent!

Tyrones own

Pints, was it you a while back talked about drinking coke by the litre
  most days? if so that def isn't helping your situation, the girlfriend is a
nutritionist /consultant and deals with this exact thing on a daily basis, your welcome to PM
me if you like, she'd be glad to draw up a bit of a plan for you.
If not then Zulu isn't far off the mark from what i understand of it.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrones own on January 08, 2008, 01:33:59 AM

Pints, was it you a while back talked about drinking coke by the litre
  most days? if so that def isn't helping your situation, the girlfriend is a
nutritionist /consultant and deals with this exact thing on a daily basis
, your welcome to PM
me if you like, she'd be glad to draw up a bit of a plan for you.
If not then Zulu isn't far off the mark from what i understand of it.

Dear me TO - I thought Id picked a bad'un by going for a Dr,

Yucky Yucky Pizza TO, Yummy Yummy Cucumber sandwich!  :o

Zapatista

My eating habbits are a bit strange. I get up at 6 am, never eat breakfast and most days I don't eat until I get home from work at 4 pm. I would drink 4 or 5 cups of coffee at work. When I do eat during that time I go for a fry with a few guys from work, this happens about 5 or 6 times a month. I would take a snack most evenings too, propbably cheese and toast or some fruit or something. I can manage on one meal and one snack most days. My meals are usually a pretty good mixture of meat and vegtable. The feeling of hunger rarely bothers me.

Gnevin

What what sort of exercise are you doing ? I don't believe in diets at all what's the point you just won't stick to them , I'm a firm believer in making more healthy choices when you can and what if you yours doing regular exercise then your far healthily than before even if the weight is slow to come off ?

Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

his holiness nb

Did anyone see that programme about us all getting fatter on RTE last night? They poured the equivalent amount of sugar thats in a glass of coke into a seperate glass.
I dont mind coke but the amount of sugar is ridiculous.

Best thing to do Pints is get some excercise, it'll free you up for some enjoyable food!
Ask me holy bollix

screenexile

Just came across this thread this morning and I'm going through exactly the same thing as you Pints. My diet is absolutely atrocious and with not having done much exercise last year I'm trying to lose a bit of weight for football this year to get myself back on track.

My diet before Christmas would have been:

Breakfast: Nothing
Lunch: 2 sausages Beans and chips (sometimes subway, sometimes McDonalds)
Dinner: Chicken, Steak, Pork Chop, usually with chips
Supper: Two ham and Cheese toasties

Along with this I would also have had up to 3 bars of chocolate and at least 3 bags of crisps.

My theory is that if I just stick to my two meals a day and cut out all chocolate and crisps and do a bit of exercise 3/4 times a week I should hopefully lose the stone I'm aiming for within 2 months or so but I think I may need even more radical change than that.

Info has been great so far lads so keep the advice coming and with God's help I can beat this terrible affliction!

supersarsfields

Zulu or any one else in the know. I have just started taking Protein supplement. The one were you mix it with  milk or water. I was only planning on taking it after training along with my meal but should I be taking it in the mornings aswell as Zulu said? How many should you have a day? I don't want to go overboard on it either.

Hardy

For what it's worth, and in case it would help anyone, this is what worked for me in losing weight:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/

I lost two and a half stone in 6 months in 2002 and haven't put any of it back on and I use the knowledge I gained from it routinely to regulate my weight now - e.g. I can happily indulge over Chrsitmas, knowing that I can lose the few pounds quite easily in a controlled fashion.

Of course if your diet includes large quantities of Coke and chocolate, you're starting from a difficult place. Whatever about chocolate (I'm lucky - I don't like the stuff), there's no sane reason to drink Coke.

Billys Boots

Bananas, bananas and more bananas - difficult for the body to process (i.e. energy/calorie-consuming) and full of non-sucrose sugars like glucose, and filling as hell. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Minder

Lads most of you have the right idea, i am no expert but you need a calorie feficit, ie burning more than you have eaten. Cutting out the rubbish food and regukar exercise is the only way, dieting is crazy. I work with women in my office and their approach is mental, they are taking the "weightwatchers" approach or as i call it "the lazy b*tch approach"....you know where everything has points but they starve themselves and use their allocation of points on chips etc and cant understand why they have an arse like a bag of spanners. I asked them one day why dont they cut out the rubbish or eat in moderation and do some regular exercise, they didnt like it......
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

downredblack

Get the fish into ya , great flavour and low in calories as long as it hasn't  got the batter / deep fat fryer treatment .