Best Value Broadband in the North

Started by giveherlong, June 01, 2012, 04:05:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

giveherlong

Any tips on what is the best value package out there?

I just want plain and simple brodband (no massive downloads or anything) and I don't need a phoneline.

I'm not in a Cable area so it's not an option

Any advice appreciated

GHL

Hoof Hearted

just moved house recently, and had sky phone line installed before they told us that they couldnt do broadband for the area we moved to ! Was a nightmare then getting someone who did broadband only. Ended up with Plusnet and so far so good - reasonably priced too, so i would give them a go.
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

giveherlong

Cold tea

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: Cold tea on June 01, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
BT Infinity is pure shite.

I think you're wrong there. It's absolute complete 100% refined shite with a capital S
Careful now

Minder

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on June 12, 2012, 06:20:43 PM
Quote from: Cold tea on June 01, 2012, 04:26:27 PM
BT Infinity is pure shite.

I think you're wrong there. It's absolute complete 100% refined shite with a capital S

As in not getting the advertised speeds?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Hereiam

The way phone companies charge for broadband really annoys me. I only get 2MB at most here and pay the same as someone a couple of miles closer to the exchange who can get maybe 10MB. This is like going into a BMW dealership and paying for a BMW but drivin away in a Lada. Why oh why can they not have a fee structure so that you are only charged for the actual speed that you get. c***ts.

Hereiam

That fine Fionn but do you not see my point. They sell the product on speed so why can't thay charge on the speed.

LeoMc

Quote from: Hereiam on June 13, 2012, 10:13:46 AM
That fine Fionn but do you not see my point. They sell the product on speed so why can't thay charge on the speed.

BMW doesn't give you a discount because you live in a 30 zone.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on June 13, 2012, 11:27:45 AM
Quote from: Hereiam on June 13, 2012, 10:13:46 AM
Because as I've said Openreach (BTs Wholesale network arm) charge ISPs on connection and data transfer, not speed. Therefore there's no room for ISPs to charge for speed other than have a 'premium' for faster speeds, not a discount for slower ones. The same seems to go for unbundled exchanges that have Sky, Talk Talk etc.

I would check with your ISP to see if your line can handle more than 2Mbps, readings from the line stats on your ADSL modems set up menus should give a good indication of what is possible. If no improvement can be made it might be worth investigating if a FTTC product like BT Infinity is available, as on a per month basis Infinity costs the same as ADSL if your broadband is with BT. Other ISPs offering a similar service charge an additional premium.

Fionntamhnach, what options do you have for fast broadband if you are a long way from the exchange and there is no FTTC or unbundling available?
I can only get just over 1 MB download speed.

What other options are there?

EDIT - it appears that my exchange is enabled for BT Infinity accoriding to their website but I am told that it is not available for me.

Smokin Joe

Thanks for that Fionn, its very comprehensive.

I should have said that 3G mobile coverage is also out of the equation due to poor reception.

I am really interested in "broadband via fibre".  5MB d/l speed would seem like lighting for me.
I did a quick google and nothing came up.  Could you point me in the right direction for some more info?  I just want to be forearmed in anticipation of me ringing BT about it and them stonewalling me saying they know nothing about it.
Or is there a special "broadband via fibre" department within BT?

Cheers

Smokin Joe

On the BT wholesale checker there is no mention of fibre for me, even though nibroadband.com states that the cabinet closest to me has been connected.

This is further confirmed by entering a phone number of a house that is much closer to the cabinet than I am and it talks about fibre and 18mb speed.

Based on the above is there even any point in me contacting BT and asking about broadband via fibre? All the posts on the digi spy forum state that the wholesale checker needs to mention that fibre is available for them to be offered broadband via fibre.

Smokin Joe

Spoke to them, but "Fibre is not yet available to me".  :'(

The guy said that they are continually making improvements / installing boosters along the line even where it says that a Cabinet already has fibre.
Let's hope he's right.

Tony Baloney

Don't give up hope Joe. I was using a fecking satellite dish to get internet access up til about 6 months ago. It would be helpful of everyone in your area registered their interest with BT.

Where are you based?

ardchieftain

I'm using the dish too, a nightmare.