Nicest Towns in Ireland

Started by AZOffaly, April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

As a counterpoint to that negative and depressing thread about shitholes, how about we nominate the nicest towns in Ireland?  I think we have far more nice towns than shitholes.

I'll open the betting with a couple off the top of my head.

Adare, County Limerick. A lovely small town, loads of character. Beautiful golf course as well.
Kinsale, County Cork. A bigger town, but still has small town feel with the tight streets and colourful shops. Perched on the inlet with all the small sailing and fishing  boats that brings.
Kenmare, County Kerry. More along the lines of Adare, but a beautiful scenic town with a lot of colour and life.
Dunmore East, County Waterford. Another seaside town/village. A lovely cove.
Birr, County Offaly. Another bigger town, but one that's really vibrant and has loads of interesting and historical buildings.
Carlingford, County Louth. The north eastern version of a smaller Kinsale.
Westport, County Mayo. A really nice bigger town, with the river running through it and good pubs and restaurants.
Kinvara, County Galway. Another seaside/coastal town or village that is very good at taking advantage of it's location.

trueblue1234

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2018, 09:09:04 AM
As a counterpoint to that negative and depressing thread about shitholes, how about we nominate the nicest towns in Ireland?  I think we have far more nice towns than shitholes.

Adare, County Limerick. A lovely small town, loads of character. Beautiful golf course as well.
Kinsale, County Cork. A bigger town, but still has small town feel with the tight streets and colourful shops. Perched on the inlet with all the small sailing and fishing  boats that brings.
Kenmare, County Kerry. More along the lines of Adare, but a beautiful scenic town with a lot of colour and life.
Birr, County Offaly. Another bigger town, but one that's really vibrant and has loads of interesting and historical buildings.
Westport, County Mayo. A really nice bigger town, with the river running through it and good pubs and restaurants.
Kinvara, County Galway. Another seaside/coastal town or village that is very good at taking advantage of it's location.

Always liked Trim. Thought it was a nice part of the country. Just a pity there was so many Meath people about it. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Dire Ear

Plumbridge,  very friendly people and lovely scenery

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GJL

seafoid

Birr is lovely
Carrick on Shannon, Co Leitrim
Glengarrif, Co Cork,  just up the road from Neidin, which is a much nicer name than Kenmare
Nenagh in Tipp is interesting
Cashel, Co Tipp
Killaloe, Co Clare, is on the Shannon
Dungarvan, Co Waterford
Clifden, Co Galway
The hurling villages in Down
Dingle, Co Kerry
Midleton, Co Cork
Ballina Co Mayo - smoked salmon, not far from the sea, great people and  the Moy is beautiful
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Ambrose

Carlingford is an awful kip. A once lovely town infested by Stags and Hens, you can't move from Friday to Monday for them on a normal weekend, never mind a bank holiday and it's like Andytown in July. Fat women in 4 inch heels and too much make up getting airlifted off the mountain. Locals can't afford houses, they are all on Airbnb now. People in Omeath are now advertising their houses as being in Carlingford. For those who don't know it, Omeath is like Tenko with added inbreeding and slightly more despondency, with a bit of luck Brexit will bring a hard border and no one will ever pass Davey's Pub again.
€15 for a one way trip on the Scenic Carlingford Ferry over to Greencastle. I'll repeat that €15 and we complain about prices for the national league. At least there's a chance when they get as far as Greencastle they won't be back, they'll never get out of Kilkeel alive.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

AZOffaly

Good call on Killaloe/Ballina Seafoid. I forgot about them and I live 6 miles or so away! :) I never thought about Nenagh in that way, but yes I suppose it is. It's a far nicer town to go shopping in than some of the bigger towns around.

seafoid

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 18, 2018, 10:07:07 AM
Good call on Killaloe/Ballina Seafoid. I forgot about them and I live 6 miles or so away! :) I never thought about Nenagh in that way, but yes I suppose it is. It's a far nicer town to go shopping in than some of the bigger towns around.
Any town where you can talk hurling has something special imo
Nenagh has some very good shops as well. It has less of the chainstore feel
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thewobbler

Quote from: Ambrose on April 18, 2018, 10:06:02 AM
Carlingford is an awful kip. A once lovely town infested by Stags and Hens, you can't move from Friday to Monday for them on a normal weekend, never mind a bank holiday and it's like Andytown in July. Fat women in 4 inch heels and too much make up getting airlifted off the mountain. Locals can't afford houses, they are all on Airbnb now. People in Omeath are now advertising their houses as being in Carlingford. For those who don't know it, Omeath is like Tenko with added inbreeding and slightly more despondency, with a bit of luck Brexit will bring a hard border and no one will ever pass Davey's Pub again.
€15 for a one way trip on the Scenic Carlingford Ferry over to Greencastle. I'll repeat that €15 and we complain about prices for the national league. At least there's a chance when they get as far as Greencastle they won't be back, they'll never get out of Kilkeel alive.

You're describing as a kip a beautiful seaside town, nestled in mountains,  with proper heritage and at least half a planning policy, good amenities, proper food and drink options, and only 15 minutes from the motorway. What chance does anywhere else have?

lurganblue

Passed through Wexford town last summer. Looked a lovely wee spot. Reminded me of Derry a little.

Would agree with Nenagh, Clifden, Dingle and Ballina.

Rois

Hillsborough is a lovely village with nice restaurants and the castle at the top. 

Moira isn't too bad either as long as the nice butcher's apron flags aren't flying too wildly. 

Billys Boots

I see what you did there - very sneaky.   :P
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

BennyCake

Carlingford
Dingle
Westport
Spiddal

Milltown Row2

Bunbeg, its been a while but I would have went often enough, and with the National park beside it you've got one of the best areas to walk around
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea