Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solo_run

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2019, 09:03:57 PM
DUP say no, their grand masters in the orange order must have told them under no circumstances to sign up.

The government deal now looks highly unlikely to pass, where does this their confidence & supply agreement if they can't support the government on this and where does it leave Brexit.

Indicative vote will make it clearer hopefully

Solo_run

Theresa May wants to make an announcement...a GE?

yellowcard

Arlene Foster said they couldn't sign up to a withdrawal agreement after the backstop was agreed by Theresa May back in December 2017.

Privately, I think they've known for some time that they backed the wrong horse with Brexit and it is simply a case of damage limitation. The taste of power in Westminster helped and she almost apologized for not backing the deal so I think they will try to not back the deal yet simultaneously cling on to the Tories to try and preserve their confidence & supply agreement.

Solo_run

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2019, 09:43:47 PM
Arlene Foster said they couldn't sign up to a withdrawal agreement after the backstop was agreed by Theresa May back in December 2017.

Privately, I think they've known for some time that they backed the wrong horse with Brexit and it is simply a case of damage limitation. The taste of power in Westminster helped and she almost apologized for not backing the deal so I think they will try to not back the deal yet simultaneously cling on to the Tories to try and preserve their confidence & supply agreement.

I think there will be a GE and DUP will be kicked to the kerb regardless of who is leading tories. If there is a GE with May leading Tories I wouldn't want to be a DUP politician - she will make them pay.

armaghniac

Some craic, everyone knows what they are against. The whole thing has really made a cod of Westminster.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RadioGAAGAA

A General Election isn't an option - or at least - pretty sure it will result in a no-deal exit.

Can't see the EU giving them an open ended extension which leads to another few years of meandering.
i usse an speelchekor

GJL

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 27, 2019, 10:00:04 PM
A General Election isn't an option - or at least - pretty sure it will result in a no-deal exit.

Can't see the EU giving them an open ended extension which leads to another few years of meandering.

If government collapses and a GE is called I would guess the EU will give the necessary time for it as a no deal is the last thing they want as well.

dec

Parliament has seized control of the Brexit process by stating clearly "We have no clue what we want"

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: dec on March 27, 2019, 10:07:33 PM
Parliament has seized control of the Brexit process by stating clearly "We have no clue what we want"

That is true to a point.

Then, when you consider how much closer a customs union got to passing compared to Tessy's deal...
i usse an speelchekor

imtommygunn

QuoteFour months ago, Boris Johnson told the DUP conference that Theresa May's deal would mean Northern Ireland becoming "an economic semi-colony of the EU...no Conservative British Government could or should sign up to such arrangements".
Tonight he says he's voting for her deal.

I saw this on Twitter. Good old boris. Although at least now it is funny as it's at the dup's expense.

dec

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2019, 10:14:40 PM
QuoteFour months ago, Boris Johnson told the DUP conference that Theresa May's deal would mean Northern Ireland becoming "an economic semi-colony of the EU...no Conservative British Government could or should sign up to such arrangements".
Tonight he says he's voting for her deal.

I saw this on Twitter. Good old boris. Although at least now it is funny as it's at the dup's expense.

Was that Sam McBride?

He retweeted his own tweet from the time (4 months ago)

"Boris Johnson elicits a raucous welcome at the DUP conference. But it's a bit of a marriage of convenience. Some DUP members see him as an untrustworthy opportunist who can't be relied upon to constitutionally back them when it really counts."

yellowcard

The House of Commons has now voted down every single type of Brexit and won't countenance no Brexit. What a clusterfcuk.

armaghniac

Quote from: yellowcard on March 27, 2019, 10:29:51 PM
The House of Commons has now voted down every single type of Brexit and won't countenance no Brexit. What a clusterfcuk.

The real Brexit is out there, on the yellow brick road.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Solo_run

Alistair Campbell was saying that the DUP might find they are short financially on any immediate/future GE because the farmers and businesses are not pleased with Foster.

The DUP must feel like they are in an escape room but they are only just realising there is no way out.

screenexile

Just shows you that any **** who says "the people know exactly what they voted for" is exactly that... a lying ****!!