Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: balladmaker on December 02, 2017, 09:20:09 AM
Wait till the UK throws a border poll into the mix, that would sort out the border issue for them once and for all.
This is now the crux and is a question of timing.  A late winter border poll at this point will trump politics.  Ni people for the most part would vote to remain part of Europe on an island of Ireland, and for the first time since the 1920s economics would trump the politics. Is this varadkars end game?

heganboy

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2017, 06:18:57 AM

I do share a lot of the Brexiteers concerns though,including mass immigration which has turned a once respectable part of my home town into a ghetto with a huge crime rate,loss of sovereignty,needless bureaucracy and over regulation.

FFS Tony, you had a better education than this. Remember cause and effect? Immigration didn't screw Portadown, brutal economic policy screwed Portadown. The immigration has propped the place up where moy park can actually stay open and not fold. You really should know better, go back to your books Tony, remember your studies and stop giving in to hysteric ramblings of incompetent politicians and the ramblings of bar stool economists
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

balladmaker

QuoteThis is now the crux and is a question of timing.  A late winter border poll at this point will trump politics.  Ni people for the most part would vote to remain part of Europe on an island of Ireland, and for the first time since the 1920s economics would trump the politics. Is this varadkars end game?

The important point in all of this is the fact that neither Tory, Labour or the general UK public want NI to be part of the UK, they are indifferent to the 6 counties and disinterested at best.

With political savvy, Varadkar and Coveney could do more to completely rid the island of Ireland of British government influence than generations of rebellion have ever done.  We're at an historic juncture that should not be squandered.

Real Talk

Another option !!!

What about Scotland insisting on keeping the single market and customs union and let a new brexit border be formed between Scotland and England ..... All Ireland and Scotland in Celtic unison

JPGJOHNNYG

https://m.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-dublin-will-be-big-loser-if-it-overplays-hand-and-theres-no-eu-deal-tuvs-allister-36372035.html

Big Jim joining political heavy weight not Hoey claiming Dublin would have to pay for and police the border hmm.
Prof Tonge reckons the DUP have nothing to fear and can collapse the government. He believes the DUP wouldnt lose any seats but the Tories would. Ok fine dont think the "prof" has thought through the obvious consequences ie a pro UI labour government. Defo nothing for the DUP to be worried about  :o
Not to be outdone on the idiotic scale Swann reckons its the Republic that need special status.

A good article just shows how distant from reality Unionism is at the moment

T Fearon

I am not talking about the provision of slave labour for food processing companies,though I can't morally agree with that.Eastern European women in the latter stages of their lives cleaning tables and emptying bins in McDonalds isn't an edifying sight either.Surely they would prefer to have a decent standard of living at home to enable them to stay in their native lands instead of trudging across to the other side of Europe.

I'm talking about the ghettoising of an entire erstwhile respectable  area not far from the town centre,where natives now fear to tread after dark.There is another pub in a side street off the town centre with a throng outside it morning,noon and night,where fights do and can erupt at any time.

I see Coveney is the latest to assure Unionists there is no nationalist agenda in operation.Those who think this will lead to a United Ireland,even with Corbyn in No 10,need their heads examined.

Rossfan

Weren't an awful lot of places in Portadown unsafe for some of the natives long before any East Europeans came around the place?

As for Brexit - yUK realists  wants to move to a trade deal asap and don't want a "no deal" Brexit. They'll come up with some formula of words to keep us quiet -then in a couple of years they'll renege on it as they've done for centuries.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

An Watcher

It's all about small steps but a border in the Irish Sea would be a slightly larger step, no doubt about it.

Hereiam

In todays times the fact that the Irish have the brits by the balls isnt mentioned untill page 10 and at this its only a single column. They are rattled lads

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on December 02, 2017, 07:41:38 AM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2017, 06:18:57 AM
For what it's worth after a lot of deliberation  I voted remain.I know of many Catholics up here who voted leave though.

I do share a lot of the Brexiteers concerns though,including mass immigration which has turned a once respectable part of my home town into a ghetto with a huge crime rate,loss of sovereignty,needless bureaucracy and over regulation.
Immigration is a function of neoliberalism,  Tony. The onlyway to grow the economy when everything goes to the top is to have more people.
People don't know this. So they blame immigration for everything

That is true no matter what type of tested economy you have, tho you could also increase the birth rate.....and up a quota on upward social mobility

bennydorano

Quote from: Rossfan on December 02, 2017, 01:32:54 PM
Weren't an awful lot of places in Portadown unsafe for some of the natives long before any East Europeans came around the place?

As for Brexit - yUK realists  wants to move to a trade deal asap and don't want a "no deal" Brexit. They'll come up with some formula of words to keep us quiet -then in a couple of years they'll renege on it as they've done for centuries.
Correct. The UK will say & sign absolutely anything to get a Free Trade deal with EU, they will renege on everything they dont like at their leisure.

weareros

Quote from: T Fearon on December 02, 2017, 01:27:24 PM
I am not talking about the provision of slave labour for food processing companies,though I can't morally agree with that.Eastern European women in the latter stages of their lives cleaning tables and emptying bins in McDonalds isn't an edifying sight either.Surely they would prefer to have a decent standard of living at home to enable them to stay in their native lands instead of trudging across to the other side of Europe.

I'm talking about the ghettoising of an entire erstwhile respectable  area not far from the town centre,where natives now fear to tread after dark.There is another pub in a side street off the town centre with a throng outside it morning,noon and night,where fights do and can erupt at any time.

I see Coveney is the latest to assure Unionists there is no nationalist agenda in operation.Those who think this will lead to a United Ireland,even with Corbyn in No 10,need their heads examined.

No Irish politician is going to come out to Unionists and say this is an nationalist agenda and an attempt at a United Ireland by stealth. Have you ever heard the phrase: an Irishman would steal the eye out of your head and tell you you look better without it.

Not everything should be taken at face value. But I agree a UI is a long way off. But a blending of economies by moving the trade border to Britain would make it a hell of a lot closer.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on December 02, 2017, 01:32:54 PM

You pretend like they give enough of a toss about the north to renege on any agreement about the north.

If not for the DUP propping up the Tories they'd have already caved to any demands we have so they can move onto what really matters to them. The UK have been trying to flog the north to us since the days of Churchill ffs. They probably see this as an opportunity to move what they view as an economic basket case nearer to being someone else's problem.

Jeepers Creepers

Genuine question. If the DUP didn't hold the balance of power in the British govt, do you think the Tories would see this as an opportunity to dump the North? Or do they really love us after all?

imtommygunn

A valid question really. Not one shit could they give. Bigger problem would be south in that scenario wouldn't have us.