Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 15, 2016, 02:58:59 PM
Was speaking to a guy today who was at a meeting with an European economist for Santander... his take on brexit was very simplistic .... nobody knows how it's going, the fall in the pound is down to fears and no clear idea from the government on how to go about the leave!!  I couldn't quote him but I'd say that's good enough for me to say until the dust settles then we'd have a better idea, instead of the scaremongering from the usual!!

The one thing he did say is the potential fall out from the Russia banks would not help things

If investors saw the UK economy as being strong enough to cope with the shock of this they would not be dumping sterling.  Nobody is scaremongering.  We're looking at the data, the opinions and the events and making a judgement.  Just because most people are coming up with conclusions that this is not a good thing doesn't mean they are scaremongering.  Who does that benefit?  I'd rather be informed and try to make plans rather than say 'I don't know what's gonna happen, sure we'll wait and see.  It might be grand.'

seafoid

Quote from: bennydorano on October 16, 2016, 09:57:52 AM
Interesting opinion piece from Kevin Myers in Sunday Times today. Can't link it. 'Weight of immigration to sink good ship eu'.
Myers was wrong on Iraq and he is wrong on this

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Franko on October 16, 2016, 12:28:19 PM
Was speaking to a guy today who was at a meeting with an European economist for Santander... his take on brexit was very simplistic .... nobody knows how it's going, the fall in the pound is down to fears and no clear idea from the government on how to go about the leave!!  I couldn't quote him but I'd say that's good enough for me to say until the dust settles then we'd have a better idea, instead of the scaremongering from the usual!!

The one thing he did say is the potential fall out from the Russia banks would not help things

If investors saw the UK economy as being strong enough to cope with the shock of this they would not be dumping sterling.  Nobody is scaremongering.  We're looking at the data, the opinions and the events and making a judgement.  Just because most people are coming up with conclusions that this is not a good thing doesn't mean they are scaremongering.  Who does that benefit?  I'd rather be informed and try to make plans rather than say 'I don't know what's gonna happen, sure we'll wait and see.  It might be grand.'

I gave an experts opinion. A person informed on it, are you willing to accept that?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2016, 01:15:44 PM
Quote from: Franko on October 16, 2016, 12:28:19 PM

I gave an experts opinion. A person informed on it, are you willing to accept that?

What exactly did the "expert" say that is different from what Franko said?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

My posts or responses are mainly to seafoid, Franko has a dislike for me and feels he needs to row in behind my posts and attack me, I've no problem with that.

Seafoid has a hard on for the north and believes it's going to fall into the Irish Sea! Or would like it to

the expert has said that they haven't a clue as to where it's going or how it will effect things until it actually happens and Britain tries to do trade .. the panic on the pound is a result of business fearing the worst and managing their accounts as such, which shows a weakness in the pound... will it go to 2008 levels? Again all hearsay!! I believe Franko says similarly but has a more negative view . Seems to be a glass half empty person
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mikhail Prokhorov

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2016, 11:33:18 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 16, 2016, 11:26:58 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2016, 10:58:32 AM
Quote from: seafoid on October 16, 2016, 10:30:13 AM
Brexit means a lower standard of living . Another nail in the coffin of NI.

Jesus man!! Give it up, standard of living has never been as good!! Give me a period of time where it's been better?

Last month

Period of time (for me anyways) would be a decade or a generation, not a month and fuel is still cheaper than the 1.40 odds it was last time, milk same price as is bread!! Chicken still cost 4 quid! And bottle of wine is still a fiver!!

Exactly. As a society we have never been richer. Even the so called poor are rich. Nobody i see is without clothes food or the latest iphone. People will only struggle if they over extend themselves on crap they dont need. When bread and milk are a fiver, il agree that living standards have dropped. Until then, relax.

bennydorano

Sterlings current levels are as much to do with getting a Political kicking as much as it's Economic fundamentals.

muppet

Quote from: bennydorano on October 16, 2016, 01:47:24 PM
Sterlings current levels are as much to do with getting a Political kicking as much as it's Economic fundamentals.

This is definitely true. And I think this is why Brexit will be painful for Britain. With the exception of the Republic, most of the older EU countries found them to be obnoxious, obstructive and objectionable members.

All explained here over 20 years ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37iHSwA1SwE
MWWSI 2017

Franko

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2016, 01:40:28 PM
My posts or responses are mainly to seafoid, Franko has a dislike for me and feels he needs to row in behind my posts and attack me, I've no problem with that.

Seafoid has a hard on for the north and believes it's going to fall into the Irish Sea! Or would like it to

the expert has said that they haven't a clue as to where it's going or how it will effect things until it actually happens and Britain tries to do trade .. the panic on the pound is a result of business fearing the worst and managing their accounts as such, which shows a weakness in the pound... will it go to 2008 levels? Again all hearsay!! I believe Franko says similarly but has a more negative view . Seems to be a glass half empty person

Don't be so precious MR2.  Nobody has a problem with you.  It's an anonymous discussion forum for christ's sake.  I think you'll find that the VAST majority of the experts views would tally more with mine than yours.  The whole point about predicting what's going to happen (in any walk of life) is that you never know.  That argument could be applied to any situation.  You can predict what's likely to happen though, given past events and I know what that is in this case.  If you're happy to continue with the 'que sera' attitude that's cool, it just doesn't really work for me.

Also, interesting to note that you devoted most of your response to 'playing the man' with regard to the people who were disagreeing with you.  Unlike yourself, I won't take it personally.  It usually indicates a weak argument and this case is no different.

Franko

Quote from: bennydorano on October 16, 2016, 01:47:24 PM

Indeed - and that's not going to change any if the Tories continue down May's current path.

seafoid

I don't think it is going to fall into the sea. I think you are mixing it up with the Isle of Man
I just think the assumptions the unionists have made are going to fall apart.

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-dup-opposition-to-brexit-forum-purely-parochial-1.2736287

When the DUP took its pro-Brexit position, it will have known this reflected the majority of unionist opinion but that would not have justified knowingly leading unionism over a cliff. It must also be remembered few expected Leave to win, so the DUP set itself up to lose just to commune with its base on an apparently arcane question, three years before the next scheduled election – an eternity in political terms.

The UUP was pro-Remain, despite a few internal rumbles. Ensuring it is not in any way recognised for this seems to be more of a priority for the DUP today than sorting out the Brexit mess, in part because it does not believe Brexit will cause a mess. "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w85t5wxxamk

All those Orange lodges with picture of Eilis 2.

Frank Zappa said "be a loyal plastic robot for a world that doesn't care"
London does not care. Especially if the NHS collapses or is sold to a hedge fund by the Brexit mafia.
And who is standing up for the people in the Short Strand or Tiger's Bay?  Nobody.

screenexile

Quote from: bennydorano on October 16, 2016, 11:47:35 AM
That's assuming Sterling maintains it's current level. Sterling could recover it's recent losses before Christmas. Who knows what is round the corner in the Eurozone.

No! While the bailout of Deutsche, the rise of Le Pen and the demise of Merkel in the next few months will hit the euro hard sterling isn't going to gain anything on.the dollar and the Euronis not going to drop an additional 20% that it has gained in the last 3 months!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on October 16, 2016, 03:37:19 PM

I don't think it is going to fall into the sea. I think you are mixing it up with the Isle of Man

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/newton-emerson-dup-opposition-to-brexit-forum-purely-parochial-1.2736287

When the DUP took its pro-Brexit position, it will have known this reflected the majority of unionist opinion but that would not have justified knowingly leading unionism over a cliff. It must also be remembered few expected Leave to win, so the DUP set itself up to lose just to commune with its base on an apparently arcane question, three years before the next scheduled election – an eternity in political terms.

The UUP was pro-Remain, despite a few internal rumbles. Ensuring it is not in any way recognised for this seems to be more of a priority for the DUP today than sorting out the Brexit mess, in part because it does not believe Brexit will cause a mess. "

London does not care. Especially if the NHS collapses or is sold to a hedge fund by the Brexit mafia.
And who is standing up for the people in the Short Strand or Tiger's Bay?  Nobody.

When have unionists ever made the right choice?? Only concerned with getting votes and saving themselves. They have shit in the next by backing a loser but hey, that won't stop tribal politics and when people vote it won't be about brexit or the educational system or nhs, nah is uses and themons

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 16, 2016, 05:37:28 PM
Quote from: seafoid on October 16, 2016, 03:37:19 PM

When have unionists ever made the right choice?? Only concerned with getting votes and saving themselves. They have shit in the next by backing a loser but hey, that won't stop tribal politics and when people vote it won't be about brexit or the educational system or nhs, nah is uses and themons
It's weird, isn't it? they really are lost.

imtommygunn

It's almost like they don't want progress on anything. So insecure in the thought of losing their union that they can't see the shit unfolding in front of them. (Or they're taking envelopes like someone else said...)