Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Canalman on June 29, 2016, 11:04:57 AM
Quote from: No wides on June 29, 2016, 10:50:41 AM
Quote from: Canalman on June 29, 2016, 10:03:07 AM
Very surprised I haven't read or heard this already, but I think we will have to have a referendum to pass any exit treaty with the UK.

Surely a great bargaining position with our overlords in the EU. As bullish as they seem to be at the moment, I don't think they could hack losing another English speaking nation with a potential to form another trading bloc in Europe.

Don't think that is true, I think parliament just vote on it.

Maybe you're right. But if that was the case why did we have referendums ( sometimes twice) to pass other treaties in the past. Think there is something in our constitution that doesn't allow our parliament to  pass treaties on its own bat.
Presumably the Brits just exiting isn't the issue.
If the EU is going for some free trade treaty with them I suspect we'll have to vote on it before the Government can ratify it.
All 27 Countries would have to ratify it.
Meanwhile our IDA should be looking at where various Companies exiting England could be accommodated.
Nissan to Strokestown please :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2016, 11:21:29 AM
Very surprised I haven't read or heard this already, but I think we will have to have a referendum to pass any exit treaty with the UK.

Surely a great bargaining position with our overlords in the EU. As bullish as they seem to be at the moment, I don't think they could hack losing another English speaking nation with a potential to form another trading bloc in Europe.

Maybe you're right. But if that was the case why did we have referendums ( sometimes twice) to pass other treaties in the past. Think there is something in our constitution that doesn't allow our parliament to  pass treaties on its own bat.
If the EU is going for some free trade treaty with them I suspect we'll have to vote on it before the Government can ratify it.
Meanwhile our IDA should be looking at where various Companies exiting England could be accommodated.

I think any new agreement doesnt need all 27 to agree more like 20. Still the more we read into this farce the more obstacles seem to appear pretty sure Brexit in the end wont actually happen.

NAG1

This is already happening, a lot of the heavy hitting money houses have been informing staff that they are likely to moving a good part of their operations away from London. So that staff need to be prepared to move or their job will be going to someone else.

The thing that really gets me in this, that initially Cameron took the gamble not knowing the implications and Boris took this on to campaign to Leave not knowing the outcome. Both of these are 1%ers and either way I think will be just fine when it comes down to it, its the rest in the middle that will be squeezed and pay the price for this.

Billys Boots

I've just been told by my pension provider that I need to switch from a UK equities fund immediately. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

armaghniac

The Dáil will have to vote on it. But it isn't really something requiring a referendum, we didn't have a referendum when other countries joined the EU so why have one when they leave.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

muppet

Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 07:23:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 06:25:43 AM
Sturgeon is doing a great job.  Scotland's problem is the usual one of balancing the books, but also the problem that if England isn't  closely aligned then you'd have customs etc in Britain.  Interesting times, indeed.

She is playing a blinder.

However, she needs to be careful not to overplay her hand.

She has a massive mandate to stay in the EU, not for independence. If she keeps to the former I think she can succeed. If she gambles and seeks a vote for the latter, she could blow it completely a lá Cameron.

How is she playing a blinder exactly? She's been dealt a royal flush.

A referendum on Scottish Independence failed.
A referendum on Leaving the EU failed in Scotland.

The latter is the Royal Flush, not the former.

MWWSI 2017

Rossfan

No need for a referendum on them leaving.
A referendum would be for any new free trade type agreement with Britain/EnglandWales/ or whatever it might be.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

LeoMc

Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 12:04:10 PM

The Dáil will have to vote on it. But it isn't really something requiring a referendum, we didn't have a referendum when other countries joined the EU so why have one when they leave.
There was a referendum on the Lisbon treaty as it was ceding some control of Irish destiny. It was the treaty which removed the requirement for unanimous agreement (Ireland could veto EU legislation) to a qualified majority (Ireland would have no say if sufficient other members approved) across a number of policy areas.

LeoMc

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2016, 12:31:37 PM
A referendum would be for any new free trade type agreement with Britain/EnglandWales/ or whatever it might be.
A referendum would not be required, only Government approval. Just as there has not been a referendum on every piece of EU legislation enacted this past 40 years.

armaghniac

Quote from: Rossfan on June 29, 2016, 12:31:37 PM

No need for a referendum here either. In fact, one would not be desirable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

93-DY-SAM

Our "divine" leader Arlene hailed the great opportunities Brexit offered but I haven't heard her even give a hint as to what these opportunities might be, never mind explain any of them in any level of detail.

Declan

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 11:16:41 AM
Quote from: Franko on June 29, 2016, 10:44:03 AM
Quote from: haranguerer on June 29, 2016, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: muppet on June 29, 2016, 07:23:54 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on June 29, 2016, 06:25:43 AM
Sturgeon is doing a great job.  Scotland's problem is the usual one of balancing the books, but also the problem that if England isn't  closely aligned then you'd have customs etc in Britain.  Interesting times, indeed.

She is playing a blinder.

However, she needs to be careful not to overplay her hand.

She has a massive mandate to stay in the EU, not for independence. If she keeps to the former I think she can succeed. If she gambles and seeks a vote for the latter, she could blow it completely a lá Cameron.

How is she playing a blinder exactly? She's been dealt a royal flush.

If you equate a royal flush to 'exactly what she didn't want' then yes, that's what she's got.

Can you explain that?

Her and her party were among the most vociferous campaigners for a Remain vote.  That was the main aim for Scotland and the SNP.  They got a leave vote.

The political circumstances since and the relative votes of the constituent countries have conspired to put the issue of Scottish independence back on the table, which is a side benefit for the SNP.

She has come out of this as the only leader who;

a. convinced her people to vote (overwhelmingly) as she wanted

and

b. is making positive strides in the aftermath to give her people what they have clearly said they want.

NAG1

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on June 29, 2016, 01:45:00 PM
Our "divine" leader Arlene hailed the great opportunities Brexit offered but I haven't heard her even give a hint as to what these opportunities might be, never mind explain any of them in any level of detail.

They are more or less a cult, she was more concerned about tweeting and bumming about owc soccer during the Euros than studying the issue of Brexit.

Walter Cronc

Pardon my language but how is that tr**p Villiers allowed to remain, and worse act as a voice for the people of the north after we clearly voted to stay in the EU!!

Surely in her position, as secretary of a tinderbox of a place she should have kept quiet regarding the referendum knowing the potential consequences!