Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaafan2

Quote from: bigtogs on October 18, 2020, 06:03:46 PM
Quote from: referee on October 18, 2020, 05:56:39 PM
Tell me then,What does mcgeary and burns bring to the team

Fouling and loads of stupid decision making..

What did the other 13 bring today then. McKenna scoring 1-2 was the only.positive today.

Angelo

The thing about getting rid of Harte, is there an outstanding candidate available? I don't really see anything inside the county at present that I would look as a marked improvement on Harte. I think a lot of our underage teams in recent years have underachieved and no club manager has been able to do back to backs in Tyrone to make them a viable candidate.

Canavan has that x factor but he has a nice little gig going as it is and I really don't think he'd be interested. He hasn't really managed anyone of note since Fermanagh anyway?

Would we hire an outsider? Malachy O'Rourke did a great job with Monaghan and I think he'd do well with Tyrone but I don't see him bringing the swashbuckling football some seem to think we should be playing. I couldn't see McGuinness taking the job or the Tyrone Co Board affording him but I think he could work wonders with this bunch of players.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

redzone

I wouldn't rule out a win next weekend and I wouldn't rule us out from going down and getting a win in the championship down there either. As bad as we were we still could have got something. Harte could have us all fooled. Still as someone else pointed out to go from watching the brilliant club football to watching that would turn your stomach.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: gaafan2 on October 18, 2020, 06:50:49 PM
Quote from: bigtogs on October 18, 2020, 06:03:46 PM
Quote from: referee on October 18, 2020, 05:56:39 PM
Tell me then,What does mcgeary and burns bring to the team

Fouling and loads of stupid decision making..

What did the other 13 bring today then. McKenna scoring 1-2 was the only.positive today.
McCann and McKernan are bigger problems for Tyrone than McGeary and Burns, Sludden poor again - a worrying trend for him since 2018, pushing defenders into midfield isn't the solution going by today - Richie Donnelly and one of Kennedy or Kilpatrick is the only way to go in this area.
Why was Richie, Cassidy, Bradley and Peter Harte not involved in the panel today?
McKenna was a positive once he moved to full forward. Rafferty from an attacking perspective showed some potential.

Sportacus

Tyrone are coached with fear. Everyone back.  And still got cut open. Armagh were the same yesterday.  Bizarre considering the good forwards both teams have. Rest of the country have moved on.

Goals_Will_Come

Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 07:03:22 PM
The thing about getting rid of Harte, is there an outstanding candidate available? I don't really see anything inside the county at present that I would look as a marked improvement on Harte. I think a lot of our underage teams in recent years have underachieved and no club manager has been able to do back to backs in Tyrone to make them a viable candidate.

Canavan has that x factor but he has a nice little gig going as it is and I really don't think he'd be interested. He hasn't really managed anyone of note since Fermanagh anyway?

Would we hire an outsider? Malachy O'Rourke did a great job with Monaghan and I think he'd do well with Tyrone but I don't see him bringing the swashbuckling football some seem to think we should be playing. I couldn't see McGuinness taking the job or the Tyrone Co Board affording him but I think he could work wonders with this bunch of players.
Anything to be said for Fergal Logan and his team from the U21 All Ireland winners of 2015 of Canavan and Dooher, even adding someone like Collie Holmes as well?
Majority of that panel have been brought through (potentially could even get Brennan, McNulty, Mullan back involved) and are being backboned by the last 2 U20 teams as well as still having the last few years of Mattie, McNammee and Harte, a new voice could make a big difference to what will still be an impressive panel in 2021.

Angelo

Quote from: Goals_Will_Come on October 18, 2020, 09:52:26 PM
Quote from: Angelo on October 18, 2020, 07:03:22 PM

Anything to be said for Fergal Logan and his team from the U21 All Ireland winners of 2015 of Canavan and Dooher, even adding someone like Collie Holmes as well?
Majority of that panel have been brought through (potentially could even get Brennan, McNulty, Mullan back involved) and are being backboned by the last 2 U20 teams as well as still having the last few years of Mattie, McNammee and Harte, a new voice could make a big difference to what will still be an impressive panel in 2021.

Harte has done Tyrone enormous service. I think overall he deserves credit for how he has kept Tyrone at the top table in that last decade despite not winning an AI but I think we are now back reaching a talent level that should have us pushing for an AI and things seem to have gone a little stale.

When we have a full contingent available we have a team now capable of winning an All Ireland with McKenna back.

Logan is an option but has he managed anyone since stepping away from the u21s. Would Canavan leave his Sky gig to take up a role?

Midfield is a concern but as someone said earlier, I'd rather we went with actual midfielders than moving forwards and defenders out there. Kilpatrick and Kennedy are raw and unproven but as well let them at it and see how they get on. I'd worry about R Donnelly's pace in midfield but he's a very good footballer and won't get pushed about so I think we should go with him and one of Kennedy/Kilpatrick if they are available.

Our defensive shape is a big worry, we don't seem to have any player tasked with shoring up the middle of the defence, if teams run at us we part like the red sea. We need a designated 6, some players that's going to hold that central channel and organise the defence and make sure teams can't just run through us.

I think the panel needs a bit of upheavel at this point. Too many players there who have had enough time to prove themselves like Ronan O'Neill and Conall McCann, nothing against the lads but they haven't been good enough and it's time to give new players the chance.

Should any of the u20s start next week? Would Canavan be worth a 20 minute cameo?

sidelineball

Quote from: Moonshine on October 18, 2020, 06:07:10 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on October 18, 2020, 05:58:11 PM
After all the excitement of the Tyrone club championship it's back to that boring unimaginative dross. Virtually no inside forward line until MC Kenna went in. No creativity, no spark. When will it all end?

In total agreement. Utter rubbish you have forwards such as Mc curry, Mc kenna and bradley and you expect them to play in there own 45. Whose in charge horse or harte as it looked like horse was in full control in the water breaks. Relegation next week will hopefully get rid of this defensive dross that's stifling some of the best forwards in ulster. New setup needed urgently

100%
Some brilliant players who are obviously frustrated and sick of this management. Fresh start please.

southtyronegael

Just thinking about Ronan o Neill, only a few weeks ago he received the golden boot as top scorer in Tyrone league, puts on a Tyrone jersey, comes on yesterday and misses a straightforward free.wtf?

Angelo

Quote from: southtyronegael on October 19, 2020, 07:39:54 AM
Just thinking about Ronan o Neill, only a few weeks ago he received the golden boot as top scorer in Tyrone league, puts on a Tyrone jersey, comes on yesterday and misses a straightforward free.wtf?

O'Neill just isn't good enough unfortunately.

When Colm Cavanagh called it a day, we should have done all we could go get Paudie McNulty back on board.

Taylor

Where do you start after watching that?

One massive positive was McKenna - he will be a massive addition for us if we use him correctly.

Next season himself & McShane up front with either McCurry or Bradley in the other corner. That would be ideal however given the defensive tripe we are playing I cant see that happening.

In Saturday nights game Armagh seemed to set up similar to us - plenty of offensive talent there but refuse to play those players in an advanced position. We should be miles ahead of an average Div 2 team in terms of tactical nous.

Harte has done for Tyrone what no one else has done but is there a time when we say thanks given we dont seem to be evolving? Watching other games yesterday the defensive game is not going to win you anything.

And if Harte goes then please dont say Devlin will replace him.

Frustrating as f**k.

Imagine we had asked Mugsy/ONeill/Canavan to play miles from the opposition goals

skeog

Yesterday was a game of shadow boxing be different in two weeks time imo.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: skeog on October 19, 2020, 09:23:07 AM

Lets hope so, because that first half was absolute nonsense.

McKenna at Full Forward caused a bit of bother. How much of it was Donegal home and hosed, who knows but at least it looked a bit better shape wise. We are still in the situation where we have a mix and match of about any of 10 players on any given day could all start and there isn't a whole pile between any of them.

Donegal, for a county team that couldn't train together there for a few weeks looked a few levels above which is very worrying.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on October 19, 2020, 09:40:43 AM
Quote from: skeog on October 19, 2020, 09:23:07 AM

Lets hope so, because that first half was absolute nonsense.

McKenna at Full Forward caused a bit of bother. How much of it was Donegal home and hosed, who knows but at least it looked a bit better shape wise. We are still in the situation where we have a mix and match of about any of 10 players on any given day could all start and there isn't a whole pile between any of them.

Donegal, for a county team that couldn't train together there for a few weeks looked a few levels above which is very worrying.

Donegal have played a number of challenge games recently though, they played Mayo and Roscommon in the past two weeks.

McKenna did well at full forward and I'd keep him in there the next day, hopefully Harte is back too.

The big issues for me are the gaping hole in the middle of our defence, the lack of a midfield and the complete absence of a kickout strategy.

If you watch back yesterday, look at the difference between the two teams on kickouts, everytime Patton put the ball down there were Donegal players bursting into open space with no Tyrone player near them. In contrast anytime Morgan put the ball down every Tyrone man was pretty much marked tightly. Which led to Morgan having to go long down the pitch and allowed Donegal to dominate there, this is a clear failing on the training ground. Donegal targeted this relentlessly.

Kilpatrick/Kennedy/R Donnelly/McClure are the outright midfield options in our squad, just go with two of them, leave Hampsey in defence and leave McKenna and Mattie in the attack.

Who else was missing from the matchday squad yesterday? Kennedy and Harte were named but replaced and apart from that Cassidy, R Donnelly and Bradley were the only players I could think of not there that might have started. Coney is not getting much of a look in either, thought he would have been a better option to bring in ahead of O'Neill and Mulgrew.

Taylor

C Cavanagh was a huge miss in the heart of the defence