Laois Senior B Hurling Championship 2019

Started by The PRO, February 28, 2019, 09:59:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

G@@

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on August 18, 2019, 10:08:04 PM
I can only guess Slieve Bloom did pull a lad or two extra to the back or are the Harps a bit hesitant to go after the net. Was anyone here at the match?

SB were dead and buried after twenty minutes and the game never got going beyond a challenge match pace, let alone a championship match pace.
SB in the second half tried to contain damage by slowing it down, however the game turned into a free-fest as indiscipline crept in. This resulted in three red cards for SB and one for The Harps. The referee was slow to react to much of this and things got close to boiling over once or twice.
The SB goalkeeper was red-carded for a very nasty strike of the ball into the back of Padraig Delaney, which could have caused serious damage to a player who has given the county a great service this season, so this was disappointing to see to say the least.
The Harps were not overly convincing on the night either, I suspect they just went through the motions - grabbed an easy win without having to hit any level of intensity and move on to the next game was their modus operandi.
The Harps and Rosenallis will emerge from the group you would feel at this stage.
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Mad Mentor

Since the break up with Castletown, are Slieve Bloom in danger of disappearing off the map? Their juveniles seem to have been absorbed into the Camross Gaels conglomerate, Junior C's conceding in the championship and the Senior A's heading for relegation.

burdizzo

Yeah, they fielded in the Division 5 league all right, and had plenty of subs, too - but I hear since the break-up w/ Castletown at underage there's serious divisions, including lads refusing to play for them, court cases, etc. Of course, Ben Conroy's absence won't help either, but I think they were probably a little foolish walking away from the Castletown thing.

merman

If Slieve Bloom get relegated, as I think looks likely, and the Senior A is renamed intermediate...
Could Ballyfin apply to enter a Senior Gaels and include Slieve Bloom and Mountmellick? There are established links there over the last couple of years.
They'd get Hartnett, Bermingham and maybe 1 or 2 more from Mountmellick and would get the 2 Conroys, Delaney and Conroy from Slieve Bloom.

Slieve Bloom will need to get creative or they could lose a lot of promising young players.

burdizzo

Is the re-naming of the Senior A on the cards? Anyway, wouldn't Ballyfin need to win the Senior A first? Unless, of course, they expanded each grade again...

merman

My understanding, and I could be completely wrong, was that Gaels teams will only be facilitated when there are NON-senior teams coming together.

I appreciate its very unlikely the County Board would accept a 9th team or 10th team.

burdizzo

They could always join up w/ Trumera, or someone - but if they went and won the intermediate, then what?!

merman

Quote from: burdizzo on August 19, 2019, 02:34:35 PM
They could always join up w/ Trumera, or someone - but if they went and won the intermediate, then what?!

Ah don't mind me. I was just thinking as I typed. I hadn't really thought anything through.

I think they're in a pretty precarious position. The success they've had in recent years, the fact that players have gotten a taste for senior hurling and the break-up of a well-established juvenile amalgamation is going to see questions asked by players and parents.

burdizzo

Yes, you're right. There was a bit of a buzz up there earlier in the year, but it's well worn off now, and if they're not careful they could plummet in a big way.

SpeculativeEffort

Would be very disappointing to see a club like Slieve Bloom plummet down the grades after all they work put in to get there. Realistically they could be a solid Tier 2 team (call it what you like)  but would need a few more players to challenge.

The age old problem of ambitious players in clubs with limited resources seems to be the main problem here. Every player of senior cship standard from clubs in tier 2,3,4 etc should be facilitated. It helps the player as they play at a higher level, their home club as they dont lose them to bigger clubs, the senior cship as the standard would be higher, the county team as the pool of players playing top level club hurling is bigger. County board should create a group 2-3 respected individuals like Cheddar Plunkett to lead this. They could look to create 2-4 area teams that facilitate these players. Old bitterness needs to be buried. Its only crippling clubs. Would Raheen Parish, Tinnahinch, Castletown-Slieve Bloom, Ballyfin Gaels, Ballinakill/Ballypickas be options?

Maybe its only a pipedream...

Keyser Söze

I know the usual rebuff will inevitably follow, and I understand the difficulty involved in pushing it, but Parish Rule would serve Laois so well. It has been the "law" for the last 60/70 years in Kilkenny. It's a pity Laois didn't enforce it way back then too when you would have got away it. We wouldn't be talking about the Arles', Mountrath & Trumera, Castletown & Slieve Bloom etc as a problem children now.

Anyone that has been fortunate enough to hear to Ned Quinn talk on the matter can't but have been impressed. It makes sense. Every parish outside of Portlaoise should have 1 GAA Club. Easier said than done.

Not one single "temporary little arrangement" has ever had even medium term positive effects.
The previous poster mentioned Tinnahinch. The best thing Rosenallis ever did was run a mile from that arrangement. You effectively had Clonaslee and Rosenallis doing their best not to win the Intermediate for 4/5 years in the 2000s.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: G@@ on August 19, 2019, 10:57:03 AM
SB were dead and buried after twenty minutes and the game never got going beyond a challenge match pace, let alone a championship match pace.
SB in the second half tried to contain damage by slowing it down, however the game turned into a free-fest as indiscipline crept in. This resulted in three red cards for SB and one for The Harps. The referee was slow to react to much of this and things got close to boiling over once or twice.
The SB goalkeeper was red-carded for a very nasty strike of the ball into the back of Padraig Delaney, which could have caused serious damage to a player who has given the county a great service this season, so this was disappointing to see to say the least.
The Harps were not overly convincing on the night either, I suspect they just went through the motions - grabbed an easy win without having to hit any level of intensity and move on to the next game was their modus operandi.
The Harps and Rosenallis will emerge from the group you would feel at this stage.
Thanks for the details on the match, G@@. I appreciate it.
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Group A
6 September
19:45 Naomh Fiontáin Maighean Rátha vs Clonaslee St Manmans/Cluain na Slí Naomh Meanmain

8 September
12:00 Ballyfin CLG vs Colt/St Fintan's/Coillte

Group B
7 September
18:00 The Harps vs Shanahoe
18:30 Slieve Bloom vs Rosenallis
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Mossy Bruce

Here's to Slieve Bloom holding fast to minimize a Rosenallis score-fest!  :)

(And the Harps winning, of course.)
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

Keyser Söze

Friday
Mountrath v Clonaslee
I don't think Clonaslee have enough to fight for. Realistically it is hard to see them overturning the points difference, even with a win. From running Ballyfin close to a hammering off Colt is a strange formline. Mountrath have a couple of options after their Junior B win, including another free taker and I'd expect them to shade this by 3 or 4 points. Calling a Clonaslee game is always difficult however!

Saturday
The Harps v Shanahoe
The Harps will win and with top spot guaranteed I reckon they may change tack a little and look for goals. They will be needed before October is out! Shanahoe are already guaranteed a quarter final and they will hardly get closer than they did v Rosenallis? The Harps by 12.

Rosenallis v Slieve Bloom
Slieve Bloom will really struggle here. Rosenallis hurl with a fair old enthusiasm to match their skill and youth. It will be difficult for a stretched SB to keep tabs on. SB have lost by 10 & 15 points. This will almost certainly be double figures again, and i'll split the difference and go with 13!

Sunday
Ballyfin v Colt
Colt have quietly restocked with a few bright prospects from their underage amalgam. They have a lot of hurlers and I think around the edges may have more than Ballyfin. There's an element of going for a surprise for the sake of it, but if you take out the meltdown v Mountrath (wides and sendings off), Colt have been going well. I think they might sneak it by 3/4.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......