Laochra Gael

Started by Jinxy, February 14, 2018, 09:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Quote from: screenexile on February 01, 2024, 10:03:42 PMThis is class lads Scullion is some man!!

Absolutely superb. He done an interview during Lock down, went and found it to watch again, well worth it

https://youtu.be/wzYw2TsqKGA?si=4VB1PIs_z0i1SOXM
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 02, 2024, 02:20:25 PMI didn't realise there was a tohill one.

Saw it but i think it was only a half hour episode
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Armagh Girl

Scullion was Superb last night, no airs and graces and coming from nothing.  An Inspiration to all young ones out there.  And to get an All Star during those times too, when GAA players in the North were hassled and bullied by the Brits for their Culture was exceptional too. 

SHEEDY

Brilliant episode, Tony scullion is some man, great to see the pride he had to pull on the county jersey.
nil satis nisi optimum

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

tiempo

One of the best episodes of LG, well done Tony

seafoid

Tony Scullion has a lot of depth. He is not one dimensional like many sports stars. . His story of triumph over adversity, his honesty, his unique talent, his communication skills, his importance to Derry, his humanity , the picture of his family with Sam Maguire, the respect John Joe Doherty and Damien O Donaill  showed for him - he was the perfect subject for Laochra Gael. A real Laoch.

tbrick18

Only got around to watching this last night.
A brilliant watch, Tony comes across very well.

It just reminded me of the banners that used to be at Derry games in early 90's, Tony the "Scud" missile, where a Scud was air defence (I think) deployed in Iraq. He was our Air Defence....at least I think I'm remembering that correctly.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tbrick18 on February 05, 2024, 02:19:16 PMOnly got around to watching this last night.
A brilliant watch, Tony comes across very well.

It just reminded me of the banners that used to be at Derry games in early 90's, Tony the "Scud" missile, where a Scud was air defence (I think) deployed in Iraq. He was our Air Defence....at least I think I'm remembering that correctly.

Think Scuds were used in the Falklands war
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AustinPowers

Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2024, 01:42:18 PMTony Scullion has a lot of depth. He is not one dimensional like many sports stars. . His story of triumph over adversity, his honesty, his unique talent, his communication skills, his importance to Derry, his humanity , the picture of his family with Sam Maguire, the respect John Joe Doherty and Damien O Donaill  showed for him - he was the perfect subject for Laochra Gael. A real Laoch.

I really enjoyed this one.

In recent times , it's become more about  personal tragedies rather than  the persons sporting  career. Tony's passion and honesty  spoke volumes here

The story of his ill neighbour running up and down  the stairs when Tony won an all star , and Tony  taking his award  to him  before going to his own home. That's what it's all about, he says. So true. He didn't  forget the people who  were good to him and helped him on  his way.

Used to love watching him play.  A brave , honest player.

seafoid

Quote from: AustinPowers on February 08, 2024, 12:29:30 PM
Quote from: seafoid on February 04, 2024, 01:42:18 PMTony Scullion has a lot of depth. He is not one dimensional like many sports stars. . His story of triumph over adversity, his honesty, his unique talent, his communication skills, his importance to Derry, his humanity , the picture of his family with Sam Maguire, the respect John Joe Doherty and Damien O Donaill  showed for him - he was the perfect subject for Laochra Gael. A real Laoch.
He certainly is compared to Bono

In recent times , it's become more about  personal tragedies rather than  the persons sporting  career. Tony's passion and honesty  spoke volumes here

The story of his ill neighbour running up and down  the stairs when Tony won an all star , and Tony  taking his award  to him  before going to his own home. That's what it's all about, he says. So true. He didn't  forget the people who  were good to him and helped him on  his way.

SaffronSports

Another good episode with Lindsay Peat. Competed internationally in rugby, basketball and soccer as well as winning an All Ireland with the Dubs.

Probably the least interesting bit was the GAA story as I remember watching Cliodhna O'Connors episode a few years ago and that kind of covered that same period and the mad run of losses to Cork.

imtommygunn

It was definitely very interesting and about someone I didn't know very much about but the GAA side of it like you say was probably the least interesting bit. Some achievement taking up rugby at that age and ending up in the world cup.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on February 08, 2024, 03:33:08 PM
Quote from: AustinPowers on February 08, 2024, 12:29:30 PM
He certainly is compared to Bono

Only got round to watching both the Richie Power and Tony Scullion ones recently and both very open and sincere lads for different reasons.

Tony's driven spirit really comes through and the same with Power in relation to his knee issues, both driving on no matter what.
No creatine or protein shakes for Tony, only praties and butter and he'd still put most gym bunnies on their hole, one hardy buck.

Enjoyable watches.

fearsiuil

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 09, 2024, 08:43:58 AMIt was definitely very interesting and about someone I didn't know very much about but the GAA side of it like you say was probably the least interesting bit. Some achievement taking up rugby at that age and ending up in the world cup.
Not really when you consider the numbers of adult female rugby players and their necessity on going after players from GAA background amongst other sports.