League Final 2019 attendance

Started by joemamas, March 19, 2019, 12:51:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joemamas

Not sure if this needs a thread of its own.

However, I wonder will the GAA and or Croke Park, market this game given that the estimated attendance will most likely be no more than 30k.

What would I do, I would distribute 1,000 tickets to bord na nog of each county board in Division 3 and 4.

Positives;
You will promote Gaelic games in the weaker counties, (no insult intended).
Generate interest among underage players in same counties, who hopefully will be inspired to represent their county someday in Croke park.
Help create an atmosphere in Croke Park, it is after all a national final, nothing feels worse than watching a game there in a 2/3 empty stadium, and behind both goals empty, just seems so unnatural.

Negative;

Someone in the GAA or Croke Park will have to get off their arse and organize. In this day and age with all the paid officials at national and provincial levels, it cannot be that difficult. They could figure it out in seven days if it was a championship replay in the summer.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: joemamas on March 19, 2019, 12:51:58 PM

However, I wonder will the GAA and or Croke Park, market this game given that the estimated attendance will most likely be no more than 30k.

What would I do, I would distribute 1,000 tickets to bord na nog of each county board in Division 3 and 4.

Positives;
Generate interest among underage players in same counties, who hopefully will be inspired to represent their county someday in Croke park.

Help create an atmosphere in Croke Park, it is after all a national final, nothing feels worse than watching a game there in a 2/3 empty stadium, and behind both goals empty, just seems so unnatural.

Negative;

Someone in the GAA or Croke Park will have to get off their arse and organize. In this day and age with all the paid officials at national and provincial levels, it cannot be that difficult. They could figure it out in seven days if it was a championship replay in the summer.

Sorry lads, but I thought that the collective wisdom of this forum was that the way to "promote the game in weaker countries" was to get games out of Croke Park.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

rosnarun

Quote from: joemamas on March 19, 2019, 12:51:58 PM

Positives;

Negative;

yeah bring the football finals to Limerick . we'd love that in Mayo .
thought there was I pitc there id love a trip to the new stadium in cork
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Farrandeelin

How many will Waterford and Limerick hurlers bring?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on March 25, 2019, 09:37:10 AM
I'd imagine that you can expect about 40,000 between them!
Mayo should also have at least 20,000 but I will be very surprised and disappointed if there isn't a lot more.
That's because all of those counties have good bus and rail connections to Dublin. I wouldn't expect nearly as many from Kerry, whereas Limerick borders Kerry and it'd not nearly as inconvenient for Kerry supporters as Dublin.
If that's not all, our bucks usually play well in Croker. So I, for one, am happy with the venue.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Really hope we bring a crowd of 25k plus to this , absolutely beggars belief that you'll have 60k plus mayo supporters looking for aif tickets any year we make it but the fookers never go to other games.  Makes me sick
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

RedHand88

Quote from: larryin89 on March 25, 2019, 08:02:14 PM
Really hope we bring a crowd of 25k plus to this , absolutely beggars belief that you'll have 60k plus mayo supporters looking for aif tickets any year we make it but the fookers never go to other games.  Makes me sick

Ah it's the same in every county.

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 25, 2019, 07:58:59 PM
Mayo should also have at least 20,000 but I will be very surprised and disappointed if there isn't a lot more.
That's because all of those counties have good bus and rail connections to Dublin. I wouldn't expect nearly as many from Kerry, whereas Limerick borders Kerry and it'd not nearly as inconvenient for Kerry supporters as Dublin.
If that's not all, our bucks usually play well in Croker. So I, for one, am happy with the venue.

Where do you live,  Lar?
Hasta la victoria siempre

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on March 25, 2019, 08:39:50 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 25, 2019, 07:58:59 PM

Where do you live,  Lar?
About 2 miles from Croker.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 25, 2019, 08:21:59 PM

Ah it's the same in every county.

True. And a lot have genuine reasons. Although I remember going on a bus to the 2013 final and there was a lady who hadn't a clue about times of the matches or anything.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

moysider

Houl on. In fairness Mayo support does travel to games. Everywhere.

larryin89

Quote from: moysider on March 26, 2019, 11:55:05 PM

There is a decent hardcore who you will see at all the games since 2012 /13 this has seen a massive increase and naturally so like all successful teams . We had about 4/5 k v down in a quarter final in 2012(game Andy got injured in) , in today's market we would get in the region of 12/16k to a quarter final depending on opposition .

League games are attended at away games by about 5-7k .

At home we have about 10-12k 

Championship we will have between 15-20k  McHale park and away from .

League final in croke park I'll hazard a guess at 16k .

My point was there should be more , I do not understand and never will the GAA supporter who will turn up for an all Ireland semi final v Dublin but won't go to a league final v Kerry and there will be about 25 thousand in the difference . They are just ridiculously fair weather and have no right to all Ireland final tickets , I don't care for any other bukshit examples about club commitments or no money , it's all a load of nonsense . There are faux supporters who will be slobberin drunks down home on Sunday watching it in the pub spending over a ton saying they can't afford to go up to Dublin but you can bet they will be booked into the city west with their all Ireland ticket in pocket if we ever get back there
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

galwayman

Quote from: larryin89 on March 27, 2019, 06:30:50 AM

There is a decent hardcore who you will see at all the games since 2012 /13 this has seen a massive increase and naturally so like all successful teams . We had about 4/5 k v down in a quarter final in 2012(game Andy got injured in) , in today's market we would get in the region of 12/16k to a quarter final depending on opposition .

My point was there should be more , I do not understand and never will the GAA supporter who will turn up for an all Ireland semi final v Dublin but won't go to a league final v Kerry and there will be about 25 thousand in the difference . They are just ridiculously fair weather and have no right to all Ireland final tickets , I don't care for any other bukshit examples about club commitments or no money , it's all a load of nonsense . There are faux supporters who will be slobberin drunks down home on Sunday watching it in the pub spending over a ton saying they can't afford to go up to Dublin but you can bet they will be booked into the city west with their all Ireland ticket in pocket if we ever get back there
Whilst Mayo always had a decent following as far as I can remember - the support levels have definitely mushroomed in the last 5-6 years.
Look at the away league games now - that simply wouldn't have happened back in 2011 or 2012.

Tubberman

Quote from: galwayman on March 27, 2019, 07:45:22 AM

Whilst Mayo always had a decent following as far as I can remember - the support levels have definitely mushroomed in the last 5-6 years.
Look at the away league games now - that simply wouldn't have happened back in 2011 or 2012.

Is that surprising though? I don't really see the point - successful teams get more support. Bigger games get more support. That's the way it is for all teams in all sports.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

galwayman

Quote from: Tubberman on March 27, 2019, 08:54:42 AM
Quote from: galwayman on March 27, 2019, 07:45:22 AM

Is that surprising though? I don't really see the point - successful teams get more support. Bigger games get more support. That's the way it is for all teams in all sports.
Very true.