Which was the luckiest All-Ireland win?

Started by under the bar, October 03, 2008, 12:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Some might say Offaly with Seamus Darby's goal but they had been in the final the year before and won deservedly.

For me it has to be Armagh in 2002.  It took a replay to get past Sligo by 2 points in the in the quarters, then a 1 point win over the Dubs courtesy of Cosgrove hitting the post then another 1 point win over Kerry in the final, having been outplayed for the major part of all 3 games.  How Kerry lost that final is still the subject of great debate in the old kingdom as they could and should have run out 6 or 7 point winners.

Adds a lot of weight to the 'destiny' theory when you can ride your luck to an AI title in the way Armagh did.

mournerambler

As the saying goes 'you make your own luck', I don't know how you think that a team that wins an All-Ireland does so by luck, it might have something to do with endless hours of gruelling training sessions & belief in your ability as a team.

J70

Has any team ever won an All Ireland without some close call somewhere?

balladmaker

Under The Bar....you are either very naive, or on the wind up.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: under the bar on October 03, 2008, 12:05:15 AM
Some might say Offaly with Seamus Darby's goal but they had been in the final the year before and won deservedly.

For me it has to be Armagh in 2002.  It took a replay to get past Sligo by 2 points in the in the quarters, then a 1 point win over the Dubs courtesy of Cosgrove hitting the post then another 1 point win over Kerry in the final, having been outplayed for the major part of all 3 games.  How Kerry lost that final is still the subject of great debate in the old kingdom as they could and should have run out 6 or 7 point winners.

Adds a lot of weight to the 'destiny' theory when you can ride your luck to an AI title in the way Armagh did.

I dont think armagh were lucky, that was arguably the best Sligo team weve ever had. They came up against a strong dublin side with cosgrove in great form, kerry are never easy in a final and they missed a peno in that game, i believe cooper was playing better back then than now with mike frank on serious form aswell.

Although I think any team that plays Mayo in AI final is lucky ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

armaghniac

QuoteFor me it has to be Armagh in 2002

You can't have it both ways, perhaps Kerry can say they should have won as they were ahead, but Armagh were well ahead of Sligo too. In any case Armagh had brought Kerry to extra time in a replay in the AI semi final 2 year previous, Kerry has as much luck then as Armagh had in 2002. Armagh reached two successive AI finals, something no other Ulster team has done for forty years.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

AFS

Don't bother with this lads, its obvious the purpose of this thread is to wind up Armagh people.

In under the bar, it seems Tyrone have produced their very own Tony Fearon  ::)

maddog

Poor effort Under the bar, maybe change from the worm to the fly. Cast a bit further.

Onion Bag

I think Under the Bar and Over the Bar are brothers,
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

You miss their biggest stroke of luck that year. The first round v Tyrone. La Manga. Dark legs. All Square. Seconds left. Armagh on ropes. God has the chance to nail the win with a relatively easy point. Sublime pass to Thornton who's one-on-one with Tierney. You can shove yer La Manga up your jacksie. Thornton blasts wide. Armagh escape with draw. Peter misses the replay.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

mouview

It may be a wind-up but I gotta agree that Armagh's win that year was very fortuitous. Totally out-played in the first half, I remember neutrals at half-time hoping for some sort of Armagh score early in the second half just to make a game of it. Kerry's win in 2000 was a bit lucky also, if Galway had steadied up a bit in front of goal late in the drawn game thay would have won it as they were on a roll at the time. The Dubs in '95 was a bit 'by the grace of God'.

corn02

Quote from: mouview on October 03, 2008, 10:00:39 AM
It may be a wind-up but I gotta agree that Armagh's win that year was very fortuitous.

Utter bullshit - you do knowe game is two halves yeah?

Quote from: ONeill on October 03, 2008, 09:47:53 AM

You miss their biggest stroke of luck that year. The first round v Tyrone. La Manga. Dark legs. All Square. Seconds left. Armagh on ropes. God has the chance to nail the win with a relatively easy point. Sublime pass to Thornton who's one-on-one with Tierney. You can shove yer La Manga up your jacksie. Thornton blasts wide. Armagh escape with draw. Peter misses the replay.

That was quite the miss indeed. What happened to the player, was he not a young fella?

mouview

Utter bullshit - you do knowe game is two halves yeah?

But when you win an AI having only effectively played for one half, you've got to admit you're lucky. Yeah?

full back

I would agree that Armagh's biggest escape that year was against Tyrone
Thronton was at UUJ as far as I remember, does he play for Coalisland?

Big Duffy scored a goal against Tyrone that year as far as I remember