Prince cancels show in HQ

Started by westmayo, June 10, 2008, 11:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

Apparently Prince has canceled his upcoming heavily advertised show in Croke Park according to Jim Carroll of the Irish times.

"And the first major casualty of the Irish outdoor season is....
Filed under: Live music — Jim Carroll @ 10:02 am

Stand by for some breaking news today on the first big no-show of the season. We believe the sick note will be as good as Bertie's explanation about winning all that cash on the horses.

UPDATE Prince has cancelled his show at Dublin's Croke Park next Monday. Per promoters MCD, 55,161 tickets were sold for this show (by the way, this is the first time I've ever seen a major promoter give a ticket tally like this for a show). The reason for the cancellation is given as "due to reasons beyond the control of PRINCE and MCD Productions"."

http://www.ireland.com/blogs/ontherecord/2008/06/10/and-the-first-big-casualty-of-the-irish-outdoor-season-is/

T Fearon

Then there'll be no Manic Monday ;D

Minder

Well fcuk it anyway, i was looking forward to that.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ildanach

i wonder what happens in a situation like that. As there is only 3 concerts a year in croagh park, will another band but on a show later in the year. Also wil MCD have to pay for the venue even if the aren't having a concert on monday?
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

T Fearon

Someone has overestimated the pulling power of the lithe one me thinks. Funny how things go. I remember I had tickets for a Stones concert at Lansdowne back in 1990 which was cancelled due to poor sales,yet the same group would fill Croker now with ease.

his holiness nb

I'd say its poor sales alright.
I was due to be dragged along, kind of relieved, wouldnt mind seeing him to be honest but monday night concerts are a pain in the hole.
Ask me holy bollix

balladmaker

In promoter's speak, this is the promoter cutting their losses and running.  No doubt Prince has got a nice pay off to cancel as per the contract, but obviously with 55,000 tickets sold, the promoter was due to make an even bigger loss if the show went ahead.  :o

Tankie

The tickets were far too expensive anyway, i wanted to go but the tick price starts are 70 and went to 150euro. so something decent would have been 120 which i was never gonna pay for a gig.
Grand Slam Saturday!

red hander

I hear they're having big problems shifting tickets for The Police's show at Stormont too

KIDDO 4

PRINCE Concert Cancelled

Dear Premium Seat Holder,

It is with regret that I am writing to you to confirm that the PRINCE concert scheduled to take place at Croke Park next Monday, 16th June 2008, has been cancelled.

The concert was organised by MCD Productions and to date we do not have an explanation as to the reasons why the show will no longer be taking place.

We know that our disappointment will be shared by all of the travelling fans who would have been making their way to Croke Park on Monday, particularly in the wake of two spectacular shows hosted earlier this month.

On behalf of my team, I would like to thank the Gardaí, the HSE, Dublin City Council, Dublin Fire Brigade, hospitality partners Fitzers Catering and all the individuals who have been involved in the months of meticulous preparation that goes on behind the scenes to prepare for this event. 

Premium seat holders who have purchased tickets and paid by credit card will have their card refunded.  Those who have paid by cheque will be sent a cheque refund.

We appreciate your understanding and co-operation. Should any further information be made available it will be posted on our website at www.crokepark.ie.

Yours sincerely,

Peter McKenna

Stadium Director

T Fearon

Could they not arrange an impromptu show by the All Stars (Beggy, O'Shea and Rock) as a replacement?

Tony Baloney

That's a right pain in the hole. I was up for this and had booked the time off work!

55,000 isn't bad going for Prince but it obviously wasn't enough for the venue - in hindsight he'd probably have been better booking somewhere like the RDS for a couple of nights.

He played a week of sold out shows in the O2 arena in London last year, although I think the tickets were a fair bit cheaper than for Croke Park (£31 as opposed to £70!).

Donagh

Obviously the thick Micks didn't get the press release to say Prince is cool again after his series of sellout gigs at the O2 arena in London last year and that is clearly evidenced by fact that you got a free Sunday newspaper with his latest album all for £1.50.

Minder

Quote from: Donagh on June 10, 2008, 02:07:09 PM
Obviously the thick Micks didn't get the press release to say Prince is cool again after his series of sellout gigs at the O2 arena in London last year and that is clearly evidenced by fact that you got a free Sunday newspaper with his latest album all for £1.50.

55,000 thick Micks must have got the message Donagh, and does anyone actually still buy albums anymore?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tony Baloney

They priced themselves out of it. Although I was going I think £70 stg is steep for a standing ticket!