The denationalisation of Irish Rugby

Started by oneillcup2007, September 21, 2007, 01:02:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneillcup2007

I have noticed an increase n the levels of criticsm aimed at the IRFU over the last 2 weeks with many equating the sides poor form and seemingly inevitable early exit,  as down to a lack of passion.  Many people are attributing this to a sanitisation of Irish symbolism namely our national anthem and flag being endemic of the problems. One view I heard was that the right to play under the national flag of ireland and to stand to the national anthem has been removed from this Irish team and their performances, moral and in the main their pride of playing for their country has been diminished. I heard another fellow descibing the removal of the Irish flag and anthems form our national teams as the last frontier of an 800 years anglicisation of Ireland programme and symbolic of an Irish nation that desires to be anglicised rather than gaelic.  What do you think?       

Mentalman

"Mr Treehorn treats objects like women man."

full back

Quote from: oneillcup2007 on September 21, 2007, 01:02:29 PM
I have noticed an increase n the levels of criticsm aimed at the IRFU over the last 2 weeks with many equating the sides poor form and seemingly inevitable early exit,  as down to a lack of passion.  Many people are attributing this to a sanitisation of Irish symbolism namely our national anthem and flag being endemic of the problems. One view I heard was that the right to play under the national flag of ireland and to stand to the national anthem has been removed from this Irish team and their performances, moral and in the main their pride of playing for their country has been diminished. I heard another fellow descibing the removal of the Irish flag and anthems form our national teams as the last frontier of an 800 years anglicisation of Ireland programme and symbolic of an Irish nation that desires to be anglicised rather than gaelic.  What do you think?       

A crock of sh1te

GalwayBayBoy

I don't know where these headbangers callling up Joe Duffy have been for the past 10 years but Ireland's Call and the IRFU flag have been used away from home for years now.

Obviously they don't watch much rugby anyway if they've only noticed it now.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Donagh on September 21, 2007, 01:07:04 PM
What do you think?       

Loada shite...

Kinda harsh there Donagh!  :)

I do think that foreign nations must think it strange that the Irish team does not play under it's national flag and anthem. I know it's a tired old chestnut, but I believe that an Ireland team should play under an Ireland flag and the National Anthem!
Tbc....

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 21, 2007, 01:10:56 PM
I don't know where these headbangers callling up Joe Duffy have been for the past 10 years but Ireland's Call and the IRFU flag have been used away from home for years now.

Obviously they don't watch much rugby anyway if they've only noticed it now.

Agreed GBB.  Just jumping on the bandwagon that is the media circus of our Rugby Team this week unfortunately.

oneillcup2007

agreed.  Despite what you think Donagh, there are a lot of people holding these views. I personally think the lack of an anthm or flag thoughout the rugby website, games etc will haunt this very talented group of individaula.  Donagh if they do not represent the Irish nation and the symbols of that nation then who the hell do they represent?  Wihout nationaism you can have no national team.  look at the freakin welsh in sport.  Is that the way we are heading.  With attitudes like McDonagh's on here I have no doubt.  

J70

So the average professional rugby player is not intelligent enough to appreciate that inclusiveness requires compromise?

Utter cack, IMO.

SammyG

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on September 21, 2007, 01:20:36 PM
Quote from: Donagh on September 21, 2007, 01:07:04 PM
What do you think?       

Loada shite...

Kinda harsh there Donagh!  :)

I do think that foreign nations must think it strange that the Irish team does not play under it's national flag and anthem.
Why would they find it strange?

I know it's a tired old chestnut, but I believe that an Ireland team should play under an Ireland flag and the National Anthem!
It does play under an Ireland flag and there is no National Anthem for Ireland.

deiseach

The Irish rugby team does not 'represent' anyone other than the Irish rugby community. It's not for people outside of that community to lecture them on how to deal with a thorny internal issue, i.e. the use of flags and anthems.

J70

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 21, 2007, 01:28:45 PM
[I do think that foreign nations must think it strange that the Irish team does not play under it's national flag and anthem. I know it's a tired old chestnut, but I believe that an Ireland team should play under an Ireland flag and the National Anthem!

My thoughts exactly.
Are our Anthem and Flag not good enough for the D4 set in the IRFU?

Are "our anthem" and "our flag" the anthem and flag of unionist Irish people? Are they not supposed to be represented by this team as well?

deiseach

Jaysus Sammy, do you have a bell telling you there is a national identity discussion taking place on the GAA Discussion Board? :D

full back

SammyG

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 21, 2007, 01:31:26 PM
Why dont they change their name as well then Sammy?
Why don't who change what name?