6 counties election

Started by Ulick, April 22, 2010, 10:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ulick

Poor form that we are being lumped into the UK thread, so here's a more politically correct one. Leaders debate on UTV was pure car crash telly though I'm interested to know what the SDLP MLA was doing in Afghanistan courtesy of the Brit Ministry of 'Defence'. It's a long way from Crumlin Thomas.

cabra_harps

Aye I was rthinkin same thing, that came out of nowhere. He didnt half keep battering away about it either!

Zapatista

Quote from: cabra_harps on April 23, 2010, 01:28:06 AM
Aye I was rthinkin same thing, that came out of nowhere. He didnt half keep battering away about it either!

To be fair he was asked has he ever been in the IRA. After being asked that for 20 years I'll lt him away with this one.

ardmhachaabu

yeah and it had nothing to do with the election either.  He's an asshole of the highest order
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2010, 08:36:06 AM
yeah and it had nothing to do with the election either.  He's an asshole of the highest order

How does a relevation about the political sympathies of a major party in the North have "nothing to do with the election."
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Ulick

Been one disaster after another for the SDLP so far, first McKinney's cringeworthy performance, Ritchie at the Labour conference in Galway, airbrushing photographs, Ritchie again last night and then the BBC taking the piss out of their white coats on Hearts and Minds. Looks like they are self-imploding. SF, FF and Alasdair McDonnell must be laughing themselves silly.

Zapatista

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2010, 08:40:15 AM
How does a relevation about the political sympathies of a major party in the North have "nothing to do with the election."

Just because.

ardmhachaabu

What, 1 MLA was in Iraq to see what British forces were doing?  How does that translate into " the political sympathies of a major party in the North"?  What has Iraq got to do with the election here?  Are there not many more far more important things for the electorate to judge people on?  Like, if a politician has/had links with murdering bastards?  Or if they repeatedly lie about their background?  Or what about economics?  no, none of that matters to the provos
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2010, 08:47:54 AM

What, 1 MLA was in Iraq to see what British forces were doing?  How does that translate into " the political sympathies of a major party in the North"?  What has Iraq got to do with the election here?  Are there not many more far more important things for the electorate to judge people on?  Like, if a politician has/had links with murdering b**tards? Or if they repeatedly lie about their background?  Or what about economics?  no, none of that matters to the provos

But I thought you said the trip to Iraq had nothing to do with the election?

ardmhachaabu

If that's the best you can do...

::)

Zapatista

Was it not Afganistan?

Young Irish men and women are joining the British Army to go and kill and be Killed half way across the world. I think the electorate have a right to ask questions on the matter especially in a Westminster election.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Rolling your eyes doesn't really pass for political debate ardmhachaabu. I think it was actually Afghanistan Adams mentioned rather than Iraq. In any case, the point still stands, its relevant and its a perfectly legitimate topic for political discussion. Both economics and Adams links to the IRA were discussed in the debate last night so I don't really understand what your gripe is.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on April 23, 2010, 08:57:50 AM
Rolling your eyes doesn't really pass for political debate ardmhachaabu. I think it was actually Afghanistan Adams mentioned rather than Iraq. In any case, the point still stands, its relevant and its a perfectly legitimate topic for political discussion. Both economics and Adams links to the IRA were discussed in the debate last night so I don't really understand what your gripe is.
What difference does Afghanistan or Iraq have to people in the north? 

Incidentally, following Adams's words like a sheep doesn't mean you are engaging in political debate.  It means you are a sheep who can't think for yourself

Baaaaa

Nally Stand

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on April 23, 2010, 08:47:54 AM

What, 1 MLA was in Iraq to see what British forces were doing?  How does that translate into " the political sympathies of a major party in the North"?  What has Iraq got to do with the election here?  Are there not many more far more important things for the electorate to judge people on?  Like, if a politician has/had links with murdering b**tards?  Or if they repeatedly lie about their background?  Or what about economics?  no, none of that matters to the provos

No doubt I'll not get a response to this because you are too mature and intelligent to reply to me of late but I'll reply to your post anyway. Whether you accept it or not, the IRA were only one side in the conflict in Ireland. The British Army were another. As a result, a member of the stoops running away to Afghanistan courtesy of the MoD IS an issue of relevance.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Maguire01

Anyone else hear Green Party North Down candidate Agnew on Nolan this morning? One of the most pitiful political displays I've ever heard.

He was on after 10 o'clock if anyone wants a listen, but be prepared to cringe.