The Poppy

Started by ONeill, October 28, 2009, 12:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 21, 2009, 02:24:17 PM
Quote from: Hardy on November 21, 2009, 01:49:54 PM
Quote from: Evil Genius on November 18, 2009, 02:46:28 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on November 17, 2009, 10:32:18 PM

Tut tut, as well as mangling an Irish county name, you're also mangling your (German) queen's latin: Do you mean et al., or inter alia:P
You got me there. I should have known better than to quote Latin in the company of so many Romans... ;)

Et al. is simply an abbreviation of et alia, so no error there.

OK - back to the poppycock.

Not quite: et al. is an abbreviation of et alii (masc.), et aliæ (fem.), or et alia (neut.), so he should have used et alii in this case since he was referring to board posters, but et al. would have covered  them all ;)

Excellent!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: delboy on November 21, 2009, 09:03:13 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 20, 2009, 06:51:03 PM
Im not, unless you provide some evidence to back it up, its an opinion, that some people share the same opinion (lets face it your playing with a loaded deck on this forum)  doesn't make it right, its a discussion not just a popularity contest, x y and z agree with me therfore im right, thats the stuff of the playground that stuff doesn't fly in the real world.
If you want to engage and discuss things in a grown up fashion then you have to use the conventions of debate and arguement. Or you can instead go back to the banality of bun fighting that most of the threads descend into.
You're the one not interested in discussing anything in a grown up fashion.  I've told you my experiences from living here, others have done the same yet you keep shouting for evidence - what evidence do you want? I tell you what, I'll go out tomorrow with the camera and  take pictures of people NOT wearing poppies, will that do you for evidence? Such nonsense.  You might be better served trying to offer an explanation why so many more people wear poppies in NI.  I suspect you know as well as I do the reasons why.

So im not interested in discussing this, by that you mean we should bounce a few posts back and forward and come to the same conclusions you did, anything else is a non discussion in your eyes, what tosh. Thats not a discussion that's pandering to your ego, if i wanted to i bet i could pitch up at some other website and express all sorts of sweeping pejorative views about nationalist/catholics and have them confirmed back to me by people who hold the same view, would that make them right, no because unlike some i don't put much store in Argumentum ad populum (seems to be key on this forum). 

I've already told you what i would consider as evidence and no the photo thing won't do, i could easily do the same here and provide lots of photos of people sans poppy.
There you go with your ass backwards assumptions again, i should provide an explanation for the reasons why people wear poppys  ??? You are the one making the claims, you provide the explanation (better sill some evidence), i've already told my own 'personal experience' (not expressed as fact) of poppy wearing and i have to say they are not in agreement with yours (but your ego of course will tell you that im lying just to annoy you or im in denial etc  ::) ).
No, you're not interested in discussing it, you'd rather stick your head in the sand.  If you want to have a serious discussion about why more poppies are on display in the 6 counties then in England let me know. 
I have provided an explanation btw.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

MW

Im not, unless you provide some evidence to back it up, its an opinion, that some people share the same opinion (lets face it your playing with a loaded deck on this forum)  doesn't make it right, its a discussion not just a popularity contest, x y and z agree with me therfore im right, thats the stuff of the playground that stuff doesn't fly in the real world.
If you want to engage and discuss things in a grown up fashion then you have to use the conventions of debate and arguement. Or you can instead go back to the banality of bun fighting that most of the threads descend into.
You're the one not interested in discussing anything in a grown up fashion.  I've told you my experiences from living here, others have done the same yet you keep shouting for evidence - what evidence do you want? I tell you what, I'll go out tomorrow with the camera and  take pictures of people NOT wearing poppies, will that do you for evidence? Such nonsense.  You might be better served trying to offer an explanation why so many more people wear poppies in NI.  I suspect you know as well as I do the reasons why.

My experience of living and working in England and in Northern Ireland certainly hasn't identified to me any difference in poppy wearing to which you refer.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: MW on November 21, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

My experience of living and working in England and in Northern Ireland certainly hasn't identified to me any difference in poppy wearing to which you refer.
There's a surprise  ::)

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 21, 2009, 07:09:40 PM
Quote from: MW on November 21, 2009, 07:07:17 PM

There's a surprise  ::)

I could say the same about your observation...

However, I won't. I'll simply say that is a genuine reflection of my experience. That covers a few years, including London last year.

pintsofguinness

Funny how you come to mention it now  ::)
One of us is lying and since I know it's not me I'll have to assume it's you.

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 21, 2009, 07:17:57 PM

Not all that funny. I've only dipped in and out of this thread a few times, and only replied to a couple of posts.

Well I'm certainly not lying. In three years studying in England, and also in working there last year, there was no negative difference apparent to me in 'poppy-wearing' levels compared to Northern Ireland.

Of course there is always the possiblility no-one is lying. We could have made different observations.

And I rather suspect yours is somewhat coloured by your need to see those evil unionists as wearing poppies for nefarious reasons and because they generally just want to be all oppressive and confrontational...and because they don't think like people in Great Britain or share common feeling with them...

I'd wager my suspicion is pretty much spot on :)

pintsofguinness

Yes of course  ::)
This issue was talked about last year as well and I posted about my observations and not once do I recall you mentioning yours, until now.  Wonderful timing that. 
Are the unionist population so insecure and pathetic that not only do they stick their heads in the sand to avoid people pointing out what they really are but now they've to resort to lying on internet discussion boards?

delboy

That's absolutely classic, i said your ego would have a hard time with someone else disagreeing with you and that you would go for the 'denial' or lying thing, you excelled yourself by using both, im in denial with my head in the sand and MW is lying  :D

I think its really quite sad that you have to think the worst of people (poppy wearers and the unionist people in general) simply because they belong to a different religion/political viewpoint to yourself, to be honest its nothing but out and out sectarianism and bigotry.

MW

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 21, 2009, 07:42:36 PM
Yes of course  ::)
This issue was talked about last year as well and I posted about my observations and not once do I recall you mentioning yours, until now.  Wonderful timing that. 

Thing is, old bean, I don't actually spend a great deal of time reading this forum, and I pretty much often can't be arsed to get involved in these annual poppy threads to read the sort of nonsense posted by prejudiced loons (yes, most definitely includes you) that usually goes on amidst the constructive posts.

QuoteAre the unionist population so insecure and pathetic that not only do they stick their heads in the sand to avoid people pointing out what they really are but now they've to resort to lying on internet discussion boards?

:D :D :D

I am "the unionist population" am I? :D :o ;D

Not sure what you think I'm "lying" about here - that I studied in England, that I worked in England, or that I didn't notice any difference in poppy wearing.

That post was hilarous though - you're just dying to have a go at someone of a unionist background, and to spew your bile about the entire unionist community.

This brings us to the nub of the matter, really. I actually don't think you're "lying", per se. I just think your observation is coloured by the fact that you're a bitterly prejudiced headcase who despises the unionist community- so you'll see what you want to see in order to confirm that "themmuns" only engage in remembrance for base reasons. There's nothing good in them, eh.

This post being a prime example: "insecure and pathetic"..."what they really are" - so what "is" the unionist population "really" in your mind, pray tell us?

You've got some serious hatred going on there. I'd suggest you address this with yourself rather than calling me a liar for sharing my own observation and launching into another diatribe against themmuns.

MW

Quote from: delboy on November 22, 2009, 01:02:18 PM

That's absolutely classic, i said your ego would have a hard time with someone else disagreeing with you and that you would go for the 'denial' or lying thing, you excelled yourself by using both, im in denial with my head in the sand and MW is lying  :D

I think its really quite sad that you have to think the worst of people (poppy wearers and the unionist people in general) simply because they belong to a different religion/political viewpoint to yourself, to be honest its nothing but out and out sectarianism and bigotry.

Well said.

ardmhachaabu

It never ceases to amaze me how northern unionists think it's worthwhile telling all and sundry how wrong they are, the extension of that is that they are the only people with the proper perspective on everything.   ???

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on November 22, 2009, 05:18:05 PM
It never ceases to amaze me how northern unionists think it's worthwhile telling all and sundry how wrong they are, the extension of that is that they are the only people with the proper perspective on everything.   ???
Of course, everyone's wrong only them. 

MW and delboy's posts aren't worth responding too, head in sand and just making stuff up. Making stuff up seems to come naturally to these boys, ask them about the start of the troubles till we have a laugh.

My only feelings for the unionist community is pity, half of them don't seem to be right in the head, filled with hatred and bitterness when it should be the nationalist community that feel like that, all things considered.  and they spend most of the time trying to be more English than the English!  :D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Why the need to use Latin? Do certain people think it makes them or their arguements sound better or more intelligent? Just curious.

Now can someone tell me why "some people" feel the need to take poppy wearing into their cars? Poppies on wind screens for in some cases 12 months of the year, does this also happen in Britain?
And the best one I have seen was in Ballygawley on Friday afternoon, not one but two different cars (one a Merc no less) had gone a step further and put poppies on their headlights! wtf. Rub it up ye maybe?
Tbc....

Rossfan

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 22, 2009, 05:32:57 PM

MW and delboy's ....., ask them about the start of the troubles till we have a laugh.

Ah jasus Pints do you want to get Roger and Tonto off with their fairytales again.?  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM