Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevo-08

Quote from: magickingdom on September 30, 2008, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: Bensars on September 30, 2008, 02:36:55 PM
Yeah new column at A.

Within your existing Data and in the new column inserted enter 1. The cell below it enter 3.  Then hightlight both and drag bottom right coner of data to complete odd numbers in new column all the way down to the bottom of your data.

The still in column A  enter 2,4 and drag all the way down to about 600.

Then Data sort by column A. you should now have your existing data and new rows in between.

Now delete column A

for some reason cant get it to work. what do you mean by within my existing data bensars? and where do i enter 2,4 etc? sorry!!

magickingdom, bensars method does work.
first, insert a new blank column in column A. (I think you might have missed this step)
next, in this new column and beside first row of your data (probably cell A1), insert 1, and directly below this (cell A2) enter 3.
next, highlight these two cells and drag to the bottom of your data range. This will make Column A a series of 1,3,5,7,9,11 ....
next, in the cell in column A and below your data range (ie. where all the rows are blank), insert 2, and in cell below insert 4.
next, highlight these 2 cells and drag way down to about row 600 or more, so you have a series of 2,4,6,8,10,12......

then highlight the entire sheet, and hit Data-Sort-Column A. Then delete Column A.

It should work.

magickingdom

Quote from: stevo-08 on September 30, 2008, 04:23:38 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on September 30, 2008, 04:08:10 PM
Quote from: Bensars on September 30, 2008, 02:36:55 PM
Yeah new column at A.

Within your existing Data and in the new column inserted enter 1. The cell below it enter 3.  Then hightlight both and drag bottom right coner of data to complete odd numbers in new column all the way down to the bottom of your data.

The still in column A  enter 2,4 and drag all the way down to about 600.

Then Data sort by column A. you should now have your existing data and new rows in between.

Now delete column A

for some reason cant get it to work. what do you mean by within my existing data bensars? and where do i enter 2,4 etc? sorry!!

magickingdom, bensars method does work.
first, insert a new blank column in column A. (I think you might have missed this step)
next, in this new column and beside first row of your data (probably cell A1), insert 1, and directly below this (cell A2) enter 3.
next, highlight these two cells and drag to the bottom of your data range. This will make Column A a series of 1,3,5,7,9,11 ....
next, in the cell in column A and below your data range (ie. where all the rows are blank), insert 2, and in cell below insert 4.
next, highlight these 2 cells and drag way down to about row 600 or more, so you have a series of 2,4,6,8,10,12......

then highlight the entire sheet, and hit Data-Sort-Column A. Then delete Column A.

It should work.

got it!!! thanks lads...

Onion Bag

Excelllent question magickingdom ;)
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

muppet

magickingdom please tell me you aren't working for Brian Lenihan.  ;)
MWWSI 2017

magickingdom

no muppet, but i did 'find' a laptop from the dept of finance a while back...  ;D

Quote from: Onion Bag on September 30, 2008, 04:40:32 PM
Excelllent question magickingdom ;)

and there was i feeling stupid!

Puckoon

Fair play to you buckos - Im very much a clicker of buttons myself. :-\

magickingdom

anyone know. . .

if you have a formula in a cell but what the cell to remain blank (as opposed to showing zero) if the total of the cell is zero. eg if the total comes to 8 the cell shows 8 but if the total comes to zero it remains blank

thanks for any help

mylestheslasher

Quote from: magickingdom on October 04, 2009, 04:59:16 PM
anyone know. . .

if you have a formula in a cell but what the cell to remain blank (as opposed to showing zero) if the total of the cell is zero. eg if the total comes to 8 the cell shows 8 but if the total comes to zero it remains blank

thanks for any help

Use conditional formating to turn the font in the cell to white if the value equals zero is one way. I think there is another way to.

passedit

tools
options
view
untick zero values
Don't Panic

magickingdom

thanks guys both them work a treat. .

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

passedit

Don't Panic

Caid

Quote from: passedit on October 04, 2009, 06:13:13 PM
tools
options
view
untick zero values

Or you could use =IF(A:1=0,"",A:1) if the cell in question was A:1
When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

doirebhoy

anyone know were there are excel courses?

would like to get the hang off it a little more, all a know is a few basic formulae etc

magickingdom

Quote from: doirebhoy on October 05, 2009, 12:42:06 PM
anyone know were there are excel courses?

would like to get the hang off it a little more, all a know is a few basic formulae etc

i rarely see any courses advertised but if you mess around with it at home and post any questions here i find that works pretty well!