Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Fury has always had the skills plus the size to be the best.  Klitschko simply had a huge physical advantage over most of his opponents and I always believed that when that was took away he would probably be beat; Fury was the man who fitted the bill.  Fury is a better boxer than Joshua or Wilder but they are better athletes with more power.  The fight at the weekend was never going to show us anything as the Albanian was just in there to survive and get paid.  Fury should be able to get in better shape and fight someone better next time out.  The like of David Price has been mentioned which would tell us more, with him probably taking on Bellew at the end of the year. 

Terence Crawford won at the weekend too to pick up another belt in another division, the man is brilliant and hopefully a super-fight can be made between him and ESJ if he wins at the weekend.

Sickened to see the IBF strip GGG too, they seem to be quick to take a belt from some fighters yet not as quick to take it from others.

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 11, 2018, 09:26:40 AM
Yeah the Frampton Windsor experience will fall pretty flat if he doesnt get the right opponent, regardless of Fury as an undercard, he should have saved Wwindsor for a title fight.. there is no one out there ready for a decent punch up

Press conference on Wednesday to confirm but many in boxing media circles are saying the deal is done & dusted.

Conscious it's a difficult one.  You've a limited time window to lock down dates for any stadium fight, generally during football off-season and at a time  when it will not be "completely baltic" as one from Belfast would describe it. Once you've looked down the date, then try ensure that you've got a good opponent lined up.  The anticipated plan was that Selby would coast his recent fight and was willing to travel to Windsor for the title fight.  Warrington came along and threw a spanner in the works.  Then you have the next big name, Oscar Valdez, that supposedly would have been willing to travel (according to Michael Conlan) breaking his jaw in a fight against Scott Quigg.  From that point of view, Frampton, or maybe more Frank Warren has been unlucky.  At Frampton's stage of his career he can't really afford to wait until a decent opponent comes available to have his next stadium fight.

Gallsman - I know you will disagree with me on this and there are many out there that already have ... I'm convinced that the Klitschko that Fury beat was injured, there was most likely that element of complacency going into the fight as well.  I've watched the fight back and there are so many occasions when Klitschko is motioning to throw a meaningful punch, only to retreat at the last second.  The only sense that I can make of it was that he was injured.  Why would he not claim injury in the aftermath of the fight ?  My only thinking on it is that Klitschko gave David Haye a bit of abuse (and rightly so) in relation to big-toe gate effectively saying that he shouldn't have tried to blame injury for his defeat and that made his defeat the more embarrassing, that if Klitschko was injured against Fury, he'd sooner suck it up and say nothing than come out with the injury excuse.  Only my opinion but the Klitschko that fought Joshua, would have beat Fury on that night in Dusseldorf.

Screenexile - Agree completely it was like Seferi was guaranteed a purse for fighting with a bonus to last four rounds.  His next bonus was probably to last the distance and he probably thought to himself "i've no chance of seeing the final bell, might as well go now".

Seferi is a million miles away from the level of Dillian Whyte, Joe Parker never mind the likes of Wilder and Joshua.  Fury (don't get me wrong, delighted to see him back, he's a colourful character) has a long way to go before he can share the ring with any of the aforementioned names.  Huge respect for the journey Fury's undergone to date to be able to step back in the ring. Not only physically with all the weight loss but clearly mentally he wasn't in a good place and I have to admit that I thought he would never fight again especially with the UKAD disciplinary proceedings seeming to be a big obstacle preventing his return to the ring.  Whoever negotiated with UKAD for his ban to be backdated which made his return to the ring possible played a blinder.  Like ncrico says David Price wouldn't be a bad option at all for a next stepping stone fight. 

"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Syferus

Trying to explain away Fury beating Klitch so cleanly as the Ukrainian being injured is a serious attempt to diminish what Fury did. It's like creating alternative facts just because you don't like the story that the actual events tell.

It was the size of Fury and his ability to use that size that completely destroyed Klitchko's one dimensional, defensively paranoid slap-fighting style that was entirely predicated on him being the bigger man with the reach advantage. I'm still amazed he got away with pawing smaller fighters for so long. Very poor refereeing on that point. Once he lost those advantages and someone could pick him off from range his wobbly defense was highlighted as it was many times earlier in his career.

People tend to gloss over the inescapable fact that most of the fighters he beat on his run were junk by the standards of any other era of heavyweight boxing. He was built up as a great champion when in reality he was just someone who came along at a great time for his set of talents to be utilised.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2018, 01:20:41 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 11, 2018, 01:08:38 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2018, 12:44:00 PM
Quote from: screenexile on June 11, 2018, 12:35:52 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on June 10, 2018, 09:46:17 PM
Im a big fury fan but this was as big a joke as ive seen. Your man was tiny, but it was like he was told to quit at a certain point as he was hardly hurt.

Looks like he was guaranteed a certain amount of money for lasting 4 rounds so after the 4th he just had enough and withdrew. . . a complete and utter shambles from start to finish!

Maybe it's just me but before the Klitshcko fight my opinion was that Fury was a reasonable heavyweight but nothing spectacular. Awkward and hard to deal with but that's about it. Klitschko from what I saw underestimated Fury and he was able to counter punch his way to victory.

I think because he hasn't fought since then there's some kind of legend following him that he's actually one of the all time greats and would beat anybody around. Even if he hadn't had his 'sabbatical' he would struggle against lads like Joshua/Wilder.

Nothing I have seen since he's come back makes me think he would live with those two even with losing the extra stone or 2!

You're being daft if you think a properly focused and fit Fury wouldn't make mince-meat of Wilder. The American is barely a boxer imho.

For the sake of heavyweight boxing I hope he gets back to that point before Joshua lamps Wilder himself and Fury is the only remaining top heavyweight. Then we'd have a very interesting fight.

Just wondering is their any topic old syphilis is not an expert on.

I've been posting on this thread of years, but well done for just noticing despite your obvious obsession.

Sure you could say that about any thread.

Boycey

Fury is a funny one given his homophobic, sexist, anti-Semitic, religious (and anything I've missed out on) views and his drugs ban he's very popular.. I quite like him myself for some strange reason. But I don't think there are many true boxing fans that think he's some kind of a legend it's more an indictment of the state of Heavyweight boxing that's we're hoping he can bring a bit of life back to it..

Syferus

Quote from: Boycey on June 11, 2018, 04:19:22 PM
Fury is a funny one given his homophobic, sexist, anti-Semitic, religious (and anything I've missed out on) views and his drugs ban he's very popular.. I quite like him myself for some strange reason. But I don't think there are many true boxing fans that think he's some kind of a legend it's more an indictment of the state of Heavyweight boxing that's we're hoping he can bring a bit of life back to it..

He's a total bellend but Joshua has said some quietly regressive shît himself but he has a better PR team managing him. Regardless if you want to see two top heavyweights fight they are the only two in exsistence right now.

Atticus_Finch

Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2018, 02:23:16 PM
Trying to explain away Fury beating Klitch so cleanly as the Ukrainian being injured is a serious attempt to diminish what Fury did. It's like creating alternative facts just because you don't like the story that the actual events tell.

It was the size of Fury and his ability to use that size that completely destroyed Klitchko's one dimensional, defensively paranoid slap-fighting style that was entirely predicated on him being the bigger man with the reach advantage. I'm still amazed he got away with pawing smaller fighters for so long. Very poor refereeing on that point. Once he lost those advantages and someone could pick him off from range his wobbly defense was highlighted as it was many times earlier in his career.

People tend to gloss over the inescapable fact that most of the fighters he beat on his run were junk by the standards of any other era of heavyweight boxing. He was built up as a great champion when in reality he was just someone who came along at a great time for his set of talents to be utilised.

Chief, do me a favour and don't talk about alternative facts and inventing stories.  I've read some of your contributions on the Paddy Jackson thread.

Wilder is barely a boxer ?  Very good !

No one would dispute that Klitschko's reign came at a time when the heavyweight division was barren, at the end of the day he can only beat what's put in front of him, his performance against Joshua (when he was well past his prime) is more reflective of his ability than when i felt he was (rightly or wrongly) injured against Fury. I noticed you neglected to mention that.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Syferus

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on June 11, 2018, 04:51:57 PM

Chief, do me a favour and don't talk about alternative facts and inventing stories.  I've read some of your contributions on the Paddy Jackson thread.

No one would dispute that Klitschko's reign came at a time when the heavyweight division was barren, at the end of the day he can only beat what's put in front of him, his performance against Joshua (when he was well past his prime) is more reflective of his ability than when i felt he was (rightly or wrongly) injured against Fury. I noticed you neglected to mention that.

We're done here. I see the place you're coming from clear enough now.

Captain Black

Why do we need a discussion forum when syf knows everything better than everyone else?

Wildweasel74

Fury has plently of skills and movement for a big man but not knock out power a man of his size should have! His attitude to the sports baffles me! Wouldnt put in the hard yards and diet to get to the level required at this level! He reminds me if Riddick Bowe eating exploits and problems with his waist line minus the knock out power of course! Fury beat very few boxers in his current condition

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on June 11, 2018, 05:04:30 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on June 11, 2018, 04:51:57 PM

We're done here. I see the place you're coming from clear enough now.

You're a rape apologists Atticus... anyone who dared say anything different to doofus is a fool!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

LooseCannon

David Haye retired.

Tony Baloney

Canelo v GGG confirmed 15 Sep

Jim Bob

When would tickets go on sale for Windsor on 18th August ?

lurganblue