Guinness Surger

Started by gallsman, February 24, 2021, 10:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

This is interesting. I find the draught cans drinkable to a point but I get bored or sick of them after a short while (2/3 usually). If the Surger cans and the unit are significantly better as Gallsman indicates then I'd definitely be interested. Any other reviews?

HiMucker

Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2021, 03:18:32 PM
Interested in the feedback on the surger versus the likes of the Blade etc (which seems to go for extraordinary prices online)

I know they are different types of drink but a man will do anything to get a pint
Some drinking in the blade Taylor. 14 pints I think. Were as the Torps, with sub machine are only 3.5 pints. No difference in quality between the two, and more selection with the Torps and the sub machine would be a far smaller outlay. I have a sub machine and few mates have a blade. The blade definitely the job when there is a few of yous on the pints. Quality wise I would say the beer is noticeably better than the bottled or draught beer, but just not quite as good as a fresh pint in the bar. Though I cant tell is that a taste thing or a nostalgic reason at this stage. Good to hear the craic about the Guinness surger from Gallsman as i was tempted about getting one but was worried that it might be a bit of gimmick. I suppose there is an element of that with blade/sub. You'll have people say sure its not worth the extra for your drink compared to your bottles or cans. I personally think that wee bit extra cost plus the initial outlay for the unit is worth it for the added satisfaction especially with the current circumstances.

Taylor

Quote from: HiMucker on March 03, 2021, 07:15:01 PM
Interested in the feedback on the surger versus the likes of the Blade etc (which seems to go for extraordinary prices online)

I know they are different types of drink but a man will do anything to get a pint
Some drinking in the blade Taylor. 14 pints I think. Were as the Torps, with sub machine are only 3.5 pints. No difference in quality between the two, and more selection with the Torps and the sub machine would be a far smaller outlay. I have a sub machine and few mates have a blade. The blade definitely the job when there is a few of yous on the pints. Quality wise I would say the beer is noticeably better than the bottled or draught beer, but just not quite as good as a fresh pint in the bar. Though I cant tell is that a taste thing or a nostalgic reason at this stage. Good to hear the craic about the Guinness surger from Gallsman as i was tempted about getting one but was worried that it might be a bit of gimmick. I suppose there is an element of that with blade/sub. You'll have people say sure its not worth the extra for your drink compared to your bottles or cans. I personally think that wee bit extra cost plus the initial outlay for the unit is worth it for the added satisfaction especially with the current circumstances.

14 pints is a brave sup alright - I thought it was only 8 or 10.

Like you maybe its just the nostalgia Im after to get as close as possible to a draught pint.

The problem would be if you had the blade in the house the thought of pints as and when you want them could lead to messy nights  ;D

HiMucker

Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2021, 07:29:38 PM

Like you maybe its just the nostalgia Im after to get as close as possible to a draught pint.

The problem would be if you had the blade in the house the thought of pints as and when you want them could lead to messy nights[/i]]The problem would be if you had the blade in the house the thought of pints as and when you want them could lead to messy nights  ;D
That's what ruled the blade out for me. I always have a habit of finishing a torp if I left one in. Normally good for a week or even 2 once opened. But I would have a wee pint on the Sunday or even midweek if I left an unfinished one in. Doing that with a blade could leave me taking a fair few extra pints lol. Just checked there blade is 8 litres so around 14 pints alright.

naka

Guys thinking of getting the torp, is the quality much better than a bottle/tin
Have one in my Amazon basket but just not sure

LeoMc

How do they compare to Beerhawks perfect draft system. I had been weighing that up for a while but it seemed expensive.

lurganblue

Quote from: LeoMc on March 03, 2021, 11:12:56 PM
How do they compare to Beerhawks perfect draft system. I had been weighing that up for a while but it seemed expensive.

Loads of reviews and comparisons of these on YouTube.  All seems a bit expensive for home pints in my opinion but I suppose that's the times.  Perfect draft looks to be the one i'd choose, being in the middle in terms of size.

I'll not be punting for them as I have enough going on in my attempts to try the different whiskeys  ;D

LeoMc

Quote from: lurganblue on March 04, 2021, 08:42:59 AM

Loads of reviews and comparisons of these on YouTube. All seems a bit expensive for home pints in my opinion but I suppose that's the times.  Perfect draft looks to be the one i'd choose, being in the middle in terms of size.

I'll not be punting for them as I have enough going on in my attempts to try the different whiskeys  ;D
You want me to do my own research with all the expertise on here! :P

tyrone08

Quote from: LeoMc on March 04, 2021, 12:25:00 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on March 04, 2021, 08:42:59 AM

Loads of reviews and comparisons of these on YouTube. All seems a bit expensive for home pints in my opinion but I suppose that's the times.  Perfect draft looks to be the one i'd choose, being in the middle in terms of size.

You want me to do my own research with all the expertise on here! :P

i have both the Perfect Draft and the Guinness Surger unit. Can recommend both of them very highly. Great machines.

Harold Disgracey

FYI Emersons in  Armagh are selling Guinness Suger cans and ultrasonic baths.

shantygael

Quote from: HiMucker on March 03, 2021, 07:34:12 PM
Quote from: Taylor on March 03, 2021, 07:29:38 PM

The problem would be if you had the blade in the house the thought of pints as and when you want them could lead to messy nights[/i]]The problem would be if you had the blade in the house the thought of pints as and when you want them could lead to messy nights  ;D
That's what ruled the blade out for me. I always have a habit of finishing a torp if I left one in. Normally good for a week or even 2 once opened. But I would have a wee pint on the Sunday or even midweek if I left an unfinished one in. Doing that with a blade could leave me taking a fair few extra pints lol. Just checked there blade is 8 litres so around 14 pints alright.
The pints from the sub are better than some of the shit they serve in the bars around the town. Such as rockshore and carlsberg , the only bar that they are any better in would be the taphouse ,good moretti,Heineken  and tiger
The blade would be too much temptation everytime you walked past it with a few pints in the keg.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

JoG2

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 04, 2021, 07:01:47 PM

Do you know what kind of surge unit they're using Harold? Couple of friends looking to dip.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: JoG2 on March 04, 2021, 09:15:48 PM

Do you know what kind of surge unit they're using Harold? Couple of friends looking to dip.
Might call in for a nosy tomorrow.

Harold Disgracey

It's just a basic ultrasonic cleaner (£30 I think) according to the lad in the off licence, he did say the cans were selling very quickly. I'd be surprised if McAnerneys didn't have them as well.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on March 05, 2021, 10:57:51 AM

It's just a basic ultrasonic cleaner (£30 I think) according to the lad in the off licence, he did say the cans were selling very quickly. I'd be surprised if McAnerneys didn't have them as well.
Just bought one and a few cans. 20 quid for the unit. It's called a Foam Maker and is very lightweight so will reserve judgement until I get home.

This is the one Emerson's have

https://www.onbuy.com/gb/surger-unit-sonic-beer-foamer-perfect-head-frother-hot~c13487~p28766597/?exta=gshp&stat=eyJpcCI6IjExLjk5IiwiZHAiOjAsImxpZCI6IjQ0OTE5NDA1IiwicyI6IjEwMCIsInQiOjE2MTM2MzI2MjYsImJtYyI6IjAuMCJ9&lid=44919405&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyoeCBhCTARIsAOfpKxj8z3xMR0vmSx3jAMVK6ZyT9WSbrpMBZc631gGLRzVpTkTTaCaWd08aAjf1EALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds