The Hooded Gun

Started by Square Ball, May 16, 2007, 06:51:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

web-based computer game inspired by the activities of Northern Ireland's paramilitary groups has outraged victims organisations.
The Hooded Gunman, a virtual game where players register as republicans or loyalists, is attracting thousands of hits a day from as far afield as Australia and America.

The website says it is the only online game about NI Troubles

The aim of the game is to collect as much money as possible by creating a paramilitary empire built on drug dealing, prostitution, counterfeiting and killing your enemies.

Players also have to avoid police officers who can offer them bonuses for becoming informers.

The game's introduction states: "We created this game to make people laugh and have fun and hopefully unite in our differences in our online community, after all, in Northern Ireland we have such beautiful cultural diversities."

However, Alan McBride who lost his wife and father-in-law in an IRA bomb in 1993 is furious.

"It does attempt to glorify it (violence) in some senses and it is absolutely appalling," he said.

"Given all the good things that have happened recently in Northern Ireland, and we were moving away from that, I think this game is just silly."

Its creator says it does not glorify paramilitaries

The game offers players the chance to "get rid of all your frustrations in this online game about Northern Ireland terrorism".

One recent winner bagged £1,000 in the game and there is also the opportunity to buy accessories, such as hoodies, beanies, keyrings or mugs.

Ulster Unionist Derek Hussey said it was "tasteless and insensitive".

"There is nothing glamorous or playful about paramilitarism in Northern Ireland," he said.

"At a time when many victims are coming to terms with the new dispensation and politicians are trying to draw a line under the past, this type of nonsense does not help."

But the game's creator, Newtownabbey-born Warren Dowey, said the intention was to bring about awareness of the plight of people in Northern Ireland, but never to cause offence.

'Lost lives'

"I was developing a game for a company in France and during my research, I realised there were loads of games about the Mafia but none about the Troubles," he said.

"I don't want to take away from the fact that many people lost their lives to violence but I just wanted to highlight what I felt was the ridiculousness of it.

"The game does not glorify the paramilitaries by any sense, in fact it portrays them as drug dealers, and peddlers of alcohol and prostitution.

"There are no civilians within the game."

He said a recent study into terror victims pointed out that re-living their plight was very effective in combating post traumatic stress.

But Mr McBride, who works at the Wave trauma centre, said: "I actually work with victims... helping victims to talk about their experiences, but I can't see at all how this game can attempt to do that in any way.

"I think it is much more therapeutic for people to be involved in story-telling projects or other ways of actually dealing with the past."

Anyone played this, or even heard of it before?
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Donagh

Played it this morning after hearing it being talked about on three different radio stations. It's unbelievably shit...

corn02

where can you play it?

Square Ball

Square Ball

had a look at the stats

Registered users: 3,459
Guests Online: 1
Players Online: 369
Registered Republicans is 1,381 and 154 online
Registered Loyalists is 2,078 and 215 online
Total Loyalist Networth: £344,245,278
Total Republican Networth: £61,546,411

plenty of charity donations being made

ziggysego

I seen this website a few months ago. Couldn't believe it when I saw it. Didn't for one minute think it would catch on.

I guess I underestimated the sick world we live in.
Testing Accessibility

corn02

its impossibly hard to play anyway.

Donagh

Quote from: Square Ball on May 16, 2007, 07:47:54 PM
had a look at the stats

Registered users: 3,459

When I registered this morning there were 2,300 users - mazing what a bit of 'negative' publicity can do.

The Gs Man

It was in the Sunday Life a while back and I had a wee nosey.  It is unbeleiveably shit right enough.  It's no Fifa 2007 or Medal of Honour 3 like.
Keep 'er lit

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: corn02 on May 16, 2007, 08:01:51 PM
its impossibly hard to play anyway.

Totally agree, tried it this evening, couldn't get anywhere with it!!!
Tbc....

Gabriel_Hurl

it's nothing compared to that JFK game

Syd

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 16, 2007, 10:23:18 PM
it's nothing compared to that JFK game

What JFK game Hurl?

Gabriel_Hurl

There was a game about a year or so back - where you had to recreate the JFK assassination.

You were Lee Harvey Oswald up in the book depository - you had 3 bullets to accurately recreate the incident in 1963.

It's a downloadable game thats floating round the net somewhere

ziggysego

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 16, 2007, 10:37:48 PM
There was a game about a year or so back - where you had to recreate the JFK assassination.

You were Lee Harvey Oswald up in the book depository - you had 3 bullets to accurately recreate the incident in 1963.

It's a downloadable game thats floating round the net somewhere

Oh yeah, I think I remember reading about that somewhere.

Well for every tragic, there's always someone waiting to make a quick buck out of it.
Testing Accessibility

Syd

Quote from: hardstation on May 16, 2007, 10:39:30 PM
I knew it would be but it's going to be Nolan's main topic tonight.

Has he already covered the topic of how much he loves dick?