Mayo v Fermanagh, Saturday July 09, 2016 McHale Park

Started by From the Bunker, June 19, 2016, 09:42:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2016, 08:31:28 PM

That would look likely bunker. Looks like Rochford's team as well !!

Not sure I'd have Paddy Durkan in the corner.
MWWSI 2017

highorlow

Looks like the management have finally copped on.

Looks like we will be pumping long kick outs to midfield and doing what we do best in there, winning dirty ball.

No sweeper I'd say so that means we will pressure their kick outs.

I expect us to score at least 2-12 in this game and can't see us conceding more that 1-10.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Jinxy

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 03:33:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2016, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2016, 01:18:22 AM
I wish we would just leave what has worked well alone. McLoughlin has been one of the best half forwards that we've ever had. Diarmuid O Connor as well even though he's only been there a year or 2. Same the half back line with Keegan, Boyle and now Durkan.

We've enough issues now with 3 of our most athletic players out - 2 of them (Cafferkey and Gibbons) for the year. Time to consolidate and rescue the year as best we can.

We tried to be too clever v Galway. I always wanted Higgins playing in half back line but v Galway he was playing a lot with his back to opposition goal rather than coming onto ball from deeper positions. A role reversal between Higgins and McLoughlin would have been better imo. Over the nearly years McLoughlin has been in the mix of some of the better things we ve done in attack and chipped in regularly with scores as well. It's all there on video if people want to check it out.

Apart from some glaring tactical errors in recent years the biggest failures we've had have been stupid individual decisions players have made. Unfortunately that lack of craftiness was still there in the recent Galway game. Worryingly, our top players still do the daftest things.
Amen, brother, a bloody men.

Your last paragraph just about sums up my frustration ever since James Horan took over  the show.
I have seem the team gradually mature into the most skillful, athletic squad in the land.
Yet the team has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again. 

Time after time, Mayo have gone into overdrive and built up substantial leads only to lift the foot off the pedal to let the opposition back in.
Couldn't see Dublin or Kerry doing that...
Neither Horan or anybody who followed him will go down in history as tactical geniuses but the managers are the only ones who screwed things up.
The present side, IMHO, still has what it takes to go the whole way but only if players and management have learned from the mistakes of the past.

Dubs pre 2011 did it loads of times. Cork footballers and Galway hurlers do it.

Mayo have to get out of the loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNPmj6Azqo
They sure did but my point is they got out of that habit when 2012 and Jim Gavin came along. They also had the tendency to yield soft frees within scoring range but now they foul away and be damned further outfield.
Those counties in question managed to eradicate avoidable errors so not to give any  advantage to the opposition.
Since day one, Aidan O' Sé, when he wins possession, puts the head down and tries to bull his way through the opposition. Invariably he loses possession because two or three will tackle him, knowing very well that he won't try to offload the ball to anyone else.

Dara Ó Sé wrote a very perceptive piece in his IT column some time after the Dubs got past Mayo in the semi last year.
He said it was time to stop feeling sorry for Mayo every time they lost a major championship game. Dar leis mar  a déarfá, Mayo lost games they should have one if only they didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot time after time,when they had the winning of the game but chose not to take it.
Can't say I disagree with that.

Aidan has a 'fear láidir' mentality, as Dara himself used to have.
Too often he tries to assert his physical dominance over his opponent(s) rather than doing the team thing.
It's too predictable and he needs to mix it up more.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

Rumour is that Aiden O'Se's granny picked the team

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 08, 2016, 09:03:07 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 03:33:34 PM
Quote from: seafoid on July 08, 2016, 02:13:58 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 08, 2016, 01:30:45 PM
Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2016, 01:18:22 AM
I wish we would just leave what has worked well alone. McLoughlin has been one of the best half forwards that we've ever had. Diarmuid O Connor as well even though he's only been there a year or 2. Same the half back line with Keegan, Boyle and now Durkan.

We've enough issues now with 3 of our most athletic players out - 2 of them (Cafferkey and Gibbons) for the year. Time to consolidate and rescue the year as best we can.

We tried to be too clever v Galway. I always wanted Higgins playing in half back line but v Galway he was playing a lot with his back to opposition goal rather than coming onto ball from deeper positions. A role reversal between Higgins and McLoughlin would have been better imo. Over the nearly years McLoughlin has been in the mix of some of the better things we ve done in attack and chipped in regularly with scores as well. It's all there on video if people want to check it out.

Apart from some glaring tactical errors in recent years the biggest failures we've had have been stupid individual decisions players have made. Unfortunately that lack of craftiness was still there in the recent Galway game. Worryingly, our top players still do the daftest things.
Amen, brother, a bloody men.

Your last paragraph just about sums up my frustration ever since James Horan took over  the show.
I have seem the team gradually mature into the most skillful, athletic squad in the land.
Yet the team has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory time and time again. 

Time after time, Mayo have gone into overdrive and built up substantial leads only to lift the foot off the pedal to let the opposition back in.
Couldn't see Dublin or Kerry doing that...
Neither Horan or anybody who followed him will go down in history as tactical geniuses but the managers are the only ones who screwed things up.
The present side, IMHO, still has what it takes to go the whole way but only if players and management have learned from the mistakes of the past.

Dubs pre 2011 did it loads of times. Cork footballers and Galway hurlers do it.

Mayo have to get out of the loop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rNPmj6Azqo
They sure did but my point is they got out of that habit when 2012 and Jim Gavin came along. They also had the tendency to yield soft frees within scoring range but now they foul away and be damned further outfield.
Those counties in question managed to eradicate avoidable errors so not to give any  advantage to the opposition.
Since day one, Aidan O' Sé, when he wins possession, puts the head down and tries to bull his way through the opposition. Invariably he loses possession because two or three will tackle him, knowing very well that he won't try to offload the ball to anyone else.

Dara Ó Sé wrote a very perceptive piece in his IT column some time after the Dubs got past Mayo in the semi last year.
He said it was time to stop feeling sorry for Mayo every time they lost a major championship game. Dar leis mar  a déarfá, Mayo lost games they should have one if only they didn't keep shooting themselves in the foot time after time,when they had the winning of the game but chose not to take it.
Can't say I disagree with that.

Aidan has a 'fear láidir' mentality, as Dara himself used to have.
Too often he tries to assert his physical dominance over his opponent(s) rather than doing the team thing.
It's too predictable and he needs to mix it up more.

They call it the bullock run.

Farrandeelin

McLoughlin could excell at chf imo. If bunker's team lines out as he predicts.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

FermGael

Quote from: highorlow on July 08, 2016, 08:58:57 PM
Looks like the management have finally copped on.

Looks like we will be pumping long kick outs to midfield and doing what we do best in there, winning dirty ball.

No sweeper I'd say so that means we will pressure their kick outs.

I expect us to score at least 2-12 in this game and can't see us conceding more that 1-10.

I hope that's true. IMO Eoin Donnelly is one of the best midfielders about.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

From the Bunker

Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2016, 08:41:50 PM

Agreed!

moysider

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 08, 2016, 09:27:40 PM
Quote from: muppet on July 08, 2016, 08:41:50 PM

Agreed!

Yeah, but do Fermanagh play with 3 inside forwards?

sammymaguire

12 years ago, that semi final, 1 kick of a ball away from ... Getting humped by Kerry too  :(

Would still be a fantastic result to come away with a win tomorrow. #DareToDream  ;)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Cunny Funt

Tomás Ó Sé on TG4 tonight reckons Mayo can still win this years senior All Ireland.

sammymaguire

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2016, 09:49:28 PM
Tomás Ó Sé on TG4 tonight reckons Mayo can still win this years senior All Ireland.

They can, they're still in it.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2016, 09:49:28 PM

Tom is a funny man sometimes.

moysider

Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2016, 09:08:18 PM

The stuff I listened to today.
Seriously, one woman said she heard from a reliable source that the O Shea family insisted a Breaffy girl sang the anthem before the Galway game!! I kid you not.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on July 08, 2016, 09:56:09 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on July 08, 2016, 09:08:18 PM

The stuff I listened to today.
Seriously, one woman said she heard from a reliable source that the O Shea family insisted a Breaffy girl sang the anthem before the Galway game!! I kid you not.

Probably closer to the truth than the indignant denials here in fairness.