Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 15, 2012, 08:32:02 PM
At least 2 killed in a slurry tank this evening. That is about 1 farm death a month over the past 2 years - the worst spell in 25 years.

Saying 3 people now, from same family.

Edit - Two brothers and their father.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Aaron Boone

The smell is crazy man.

Sportacus

Arron, what the f+ck is that mean't to mean, p***k.  Sympathy to the family, a terrible tragedy.  I think that's 23 farm deaths in the North since Jan '11.

Tony Baloney

Same happened a while back. One man goes down so another goes in, gets overcome by fumes and so on.

Aaron Boone

The odour of slurry I meant. Farming nOt 100% safe and the incidence of slurry tank deaths is 2 high.

stibhan

Turns out sadly that one of the deceased is Nevin Spence, who played for Ulster and Ireland U-20s. RIP, awful tragedy.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2012, 10:22:41 PM
I know fcuk all about these things so this may sound stupid as fcuk but.....

Would it do any good to have a type of life jacket or a safety belt tied around ye so that if you fall in, you could be yanked out sharpish?

Is it the fumes that do ye or drowning? Both?
When there are multiple deaths usually one person has fallen in due to a variety of reasons, subsequent casualties generally killed by fumes (methane, ammonia, hydrogen sulphide etc). Really needs BA to go into that environment to pull someone out. In the heat of the moment the first instinct would be to get the person out.

Last Man

Would it do any good to have a type of life jacket or a safety belt tied around ye so that if you fall in, you could be yanked out sharpish?

Think it's the Hydrogen Sulphide gas thats the killer....crying out for a cheap sensor alarm unit..My heart goes out to that poor family

trileacman

Your suggestion wouldn't really work, be like saying if you are a lifeguard or a swimmer at a beach shouldn't you tie yourself to something first. If someone falls in you would hardly go running around looking for a rope.

I always thought it would be drowning that would be fatal. Slurry has a consistency thicker than water, fully clothed it would be like trying to swim through treacle.

There was a law up until 25 yrs ago that said tanks could only be 6 ft deep, but it was abolished. tanks now are usually between 10-15 ft deep.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on September 15, 2012, 11:05:50 PM
Quote from: trileacman on September 15, 2012, 10:51:58 PM

Your suggestion wouldn't really work, be like saying if you are a lifeguard or a swimmer at a beach shouldn't you tie yourself to something first. If someone falls in you would hardly go running around looking for a rope.
I'm not sure I'm with you there. A swimmer on a beach is swimming around for leisure which is hardly the same as falling into slurry. A lifeguard usually is tied to a float.

What I mean is if there is even the slightest chance that you'd fall in, would you not be better wearing something that would at least keep you afloat. Half the battle?

Like a fisherman wearing a life-jacket.

Again, I have no idea.
Most farmers go there whole life without ever falling into a slurry tank, most preventative measures focus on reducing the likelihood of falling into a tank not on giving you a better chance of floating if you do. Not many would consider strapping a lifebelt over the top of there clothes and overalls when working with slurry.

I'll put it this way would you wear a crash helmet every time you stepped behind the wheel? I mean it would greatly increase the chances of you surviving a crash and crashes are a common occurrence whilst driving. But people don't because it would be a hindrance and no-one forces you to do it. Likewise for your life-jacket or rope idea. No-ones going to wear one because firstly they don't think its likely they'll fall in and secondly because no-one makes them wear one.

Ulick

Quote from: BennyCake on September 16, 2012, 01:43:37 AM
There was a law up until 25 yrs ago that said tanks could only be 6 ft deep, but it was abolished. tanks now are usually between 10-15 ft deep.

You would stand no chance in that kind of depth. Terrible tragedy.

I could never understand this. To me it always seemed obvious to require the wire mesh used in concrete spaced every three or four feet so if someone did fall in at least they could stand up again. Then again I suppose it's the fumes that is probably the real danger.

Shamrock Shore

This is a terrible event but as a fella who had a little bit of farming contact why was there slurry in the tank this time of the year?

Is slurry not spread in springtime after the cattle are let out of the shed so this time of year it should have been well spread awaiting the next boarding of the herd in Nov/Dec.

Maybe my farming methods are dark ages stuff.

RIP to the unfortunates who died here.

trileacman

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 16, 2012, 12:02:30 PM
This is a terrible event but as a fella who had a little bit of farming contact why was there slurry in the tank this time of the year?

Is slurry not spread in springtime after the cattle are let out of the shed so this time of year it should have been well spread awaiting the next boarding of the herd in Nov/Dec.

Maybe my farming methods are dark ages stuff.

RIP to the unfortunates who died here.
Wet summer, fewer cattle were let out. Large feedlots, pig farmers and some dairy farmers keep their stock in all year round. I'd say 50% of the Irish herd is currently indoors, not Nov/Dec.

trileacman

Quote from: Ulick on September 16, 2012, 02:04:51 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 16, 2012, 01:43:37 AM

You would stand no chance in that kind of depth. Terrible tragedy.

I could never understand this. To me it always seemed obvious to require the wire mesh used in concrete spaced every three or four feet so if someone did fall in at least they could stand up again. Then again I suppose it's the fumes that is probably the real danger.

How could you mix it then?

Shrewdness

I'm a farmer, and we're currently so happy with life, that we're taking to the streets of Dublin on October 9'th to protest about our dissatisfaction with the Government over certain matters.