The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on January 20, 2019, 07:33:04 PM
Despite the English and French dismantling the original structures of the European Cup and moulding them to what they thought were to their own advantage, we have only one English and two French teams in the quarter finals. However, you could still see an English - French final

Saracens v Glasgow
Leinster v Ulster
Edinburgh v Munster
Racing 92 v Toulouse

Semi finals

(Saracens v Glasgow) v (Edinburgh v Munster)

(Leinster v Ulster) v (Racing 92 v Toulouse)

Also decent chance of all Irish final. Have to fancy Saracens to beat Glasgow, but if Munster beat Edinburgh they'd have Saracens in Dublin. Leinster favourites on the other side, although they'll be travelling to France if they beat Ulster.

dec

Quote from: shark on January 20, 2019, 08:37:06 PM
Despite the English and French dismantling the original structures of the European Cup and moulding them to what they thought were to their own advantage, we have only one English and two French teams in the quarter finals. However, you could still see an English - French final

Saracens v Glasgow
Leinster v Ulster
Edinburgh v Munster
Racing 92 v Toulouse

Semi finals

Also decent chance of all Irish final. Have to fancy Saracens to beat Glasgow, but if Munster beat Edinburgh they'd have Saracens in Dublin. Leinster favourites on the other side, although they'll be travelling to France if they beat Ulster.

No, Munster will only have home country advantage if they are playing Glasgow.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/01/20/heineken-champions-cup-semi-finals/

SEMI-FINAL 1 – winner of QF 1: Saracens v Glasgow Warriors will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby
SEMI-FINAL 2 – winner of QF 3: Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Racing 92 v Toulouse

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective matches:

SEMI-FINAL 1

If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
If Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, the semi-final will be played in Scotland
If Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, Munster will have home country advantage

SEMI-FINAL 2

If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
If Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Leinster will have home country advantage
If Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Ulster will have home country advantage

shark

Quote from: dec on January 20, 2019, 08:58:40 PM
Quote from: shark on January 20, 2019, 08:37:06 PM

Saracens v Glasgow
Leinster v Ulster
Edinburgh v Munster
Racing 92 v Toulouse

Semi finals

No, Munster will only have home country advantage if they are playing Glasgow.

https://www.epcrugby.com/2019/01/20/heineken-champions-cup-semi-finals/

SEMI-FINAL 1 – winner of QF 1: Saracens v Glasgow Warriors will play the winner of QF 2: Edinburgh Rugby v Munster Rugby
SEMI-FINAL 2 – winner of QF 3: Leinster Rugby v Ulster Rugby will play the winner of QF 4: Racing 92 v Toulouse

The semi-final matches will be played at venues designated by EPCR, and the following clubs will have home country advantage in their respective matches:

SEMI-FINAL 1

If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
If Saracens (ranked No 1) and Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) win their quarter-finals, Saracens will have home country advantage
If Edinburgh Rugby (ranked No 4) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, the semi-final will be played in Scotland
If Munster Rugby (ranked No 5) and Glasgow Warriors (ranked No 8) win their quarter-finals, Munster will have home country advantage

SEMI-FINAL 2

If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
If Racing 92 (ranked No 2) and Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) win their quarter-finals, Racing 92 will have home country advantage
If Leinster Rugby (ranked No 3) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Leinster will have home country advantage
If Ulster Rugby (ranked No 6) and Toulouse (ranked No 7) win their quarter-finals, Ulster will have home country advantage

ah ok, they changed the system.

dec

Quote from: shark on January 20, 2019, 09:03:26 PM
ah ok, they changed the system.

Yes, before it was if a lower seed won a QF they would get home advantage in the semi.

johnnycool

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 19, 2019, 06:18:21 PM
Quote from: Boycey on January 19, 2019, 06:15:44 PM
Shocking decision making from Munster here.
Error count will be massive for that half and Exeter fancy their chances as going to the corner when they get a chance.

Wasn't impressed by Munster at all and although they defended well, were very poor with the ball and struggled to put too many phases together without knocking on or box kicking. O'Mahoney knocked on at least three times in the first half and killed the momentum.

They'll do well to beat Edinburgh unless they get a bit more creative.

Geoff Tipps

Tadhg Beirne out of two opening games of Six Nations - knee injury.

Milltown Row2

Munster beat a very good team.. they'll beat Edinburgh, not by much but will have enough experience to get over the line..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

If you match Munsters physicality (few can do it) you have a chance as they lack creativity. A bit like Ireland I suppose.

Real shame about Beirne. Has been unreal past few weeks.

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnnycool on January 21, 2019, 10:36:45 AM
Error count will be massive for that half and Exeter fancy their chances as going to the corner when they get a chance.

Wasn't impressed by Munster at all and although they defended well, were very poor with the ball and struggled to put too many phases together without knocking on or box kicking. O'Mahoney knocked on at least three times in the first half and killed the momentum.

Exeter were the better team I felt. The stadium was very nervous, even though the atmosphere was good, it was tense. Munster made a few errors when opportunities presented themselves, and I thought Conor Murray was poor enough by his standards. Delighted for Carberry to have the nuts to kick that vital penalty though, especially after Castres away.

One thing that was encouraging was the Munster set piece seemed to be well on top against a solid pack. Garces let Exeter away with getting offside in rolling mauls quite a lot I thought, which I think didn't help Munster when they wanted to suck Exeter in.

That said, they looked very creative against Gloucester last week, and very solid and workmanlike against Exeter this week. They are a mile off Leinster's standard, but they're trending in the right direction again. Tadhg Beirne is brilliant. Himself and James Ryan would be a very solid second row.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walter Cronc on January 21, 2019, 10:41:54 AM
If you match Munsters physicality (few can do it) you have a chance as they lack creativity. A bit like Ireland I suppose.

Real shame about Beirne. Has been unreal past few weeks.

They are a lot more creative than they used to be. They are not Leinster, but they have strike runners now. Conway, Earls and Haley can run with the ball, and Carberry has made a difference. Farrell is important in the centre. This is the best they've been in  a few years in my opinion, but they have a lot more to do.

Walter Cronc

Oh I dont mean to slate AZ. They've definitely improved.

I just mean if you can match them physically (Sarries, Exeter, Toulouse, Racing & Leinster obv) then you have a chance.

I'd still like to see more runners (Earls/Conway) coming off 1st/2nd phase.

As a neutral Andrew Conway is way ahead of Larmour in my opinion as Irelands number 23. A class act.

johnnycool

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 21, 2019, 10:45:58 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on January 21, 2019, 10:36:45 AM

Exeter were the better team I felt. The stadium was very nervous, even though the atmosphere was good, it was tense. Munster made a few errors when opportunities presented themselves, and I thought Conor Murray was poor enough by his standards. Delighted for Carberry to have the nuts to kick that vital penalty though, especially after Castres away.

One thing that was encouraging was the Munster set piece seemed to be well on top against a solid pack. Garces let Exeter away with getting offside in rolling mauls quite a lot I thought, which I think didn't help Munster when they wanted to suck Exeter in.

That said, they looked very creative against Gloucester last week, and very solid and workmanlike against Exeter this week. They are a mile off Leinster's standard, but they're trending in the right direction again. Tadhg Beirne is brilliant. Himself and James Ryan would be a very solid second row.

Interesting watching it on Channel 4 with Heaslip providing the Irish dimension.

When Murray was taken off the girl co commentating expressed her surprise at such a player being taken off with the game still in the mix. Heaslip responded that he wouldn't be surprised if Schmit has rung the Munster Staff in the stand to get him taken off.

Highlights the difference in who calls the shots in Ireland and England.

AZOffaly

I doubt that very much. He wasn't playing very well. At one stage he should have slipped Earls in in the corner, right in front of me. Instead he checked back and got swallowed up and it ended in a turnover. Given their (Exeter's) strength I thought he should have been managing the game a bit better and let Carberry do a few kicks for position, rather than box kicking all the time. Exeter were never really turned, and their lineout wasn't brilliant. I'd have liked to put them under pressure close to their own line rather than box kicking the ball away or running into brick walls.

Matthewson is an ex All Black, and there were very few complaints in the crowd when Murray was replaced. Tadgh Beirne was far more worrying on the day, but fair play to Billy Holland he played like a man on fire for the 10 minutes he was on.

Hound

While Murray is the best box kicking scrum half in the world, boy did he overdo it against Exeter! I wonder what % of time Munster reclaimed clean call from the box kick. Well under 50%. Handing possession away time after time after time. Carberry hardly saw any ball.

seafoid

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2019/01/21/three-irish-two-scottish-clubs-still-champions-cup-pro14-best/

Given that three Irish and two Scottish sides have made it through to the quarter-finals claims were quickly made on social media that this proves the Pro14 is the strongest of the domestic leagues and that tired old jibe – would the French and English demand that further changes were made to the Champions Cup so that they could compete?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU