iphone

Started by macdanger2, August 10, 2009, 09:24:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2018, 08:13:04 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 08:09:57 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 06:50:58 PM
Trying to use my iPhone 4g as a hotspot for my laptop,showing up as a weak connection at best but usually won't connect.4g is fine on my phone and it's right beside the laptop,assume I have my settings wrong on one if not two of the devices 🤦‍♂️Any ideas or help would be great

4s? There's no iPhone 4g.

Showing up as a weak connection on the laptop? It should be excellent as it's referring to the WiFi signal being broadcast by the hotspot, not the speed of that connection, which will be alright but not great. iPhone 4 could only carry 3G I think.

The 4s supported LTE.

Pretty sure it didn't.

bigfrank

It's an iPhone 6 and I meant the data as in 4g,was badly worded on my part.so I turn on my wifi hotspot on phone and it shows up as a wireless connection on my laptop as 'iphone' but I can't connect to it.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 08:17:23 PM
Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2018, 08:13:04 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 08:09:57 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 06:50:58 PM
Trying to use my iPhone 4g as a hotspot for my laptop,showing up as a weak connection at best but usually won't connect.4g is fine on my phone and it's right beside the laptop,assume I have my settings wrong on one if not two of the devices 🤦‍♂️Any ideas or help would be great

4s? There's no iPhone 4g.

Showing up as a weak connection on the laptop? It should be excellent as it's referring to the WiFi signal being broadcast by the hotspot, not the speed of that connection, which will be alright but not great. iPhone 4 could only carry 3G I think.

The 4s supported LTE.

Pretty sure it didn't.

True.

gallsman

Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
It's an iPhone 6 and I meant the data as in 4g,was badly worded on my part.so I turn on my wifi hotspot on phone and it shows up as a wireless connection on my laptop as 'iphone' but I can't connect to it.

Is the hotspot broadcasting at 2.4 or 5GHz? Laptop might only be capable of connecting to 2.4 depending on age.

bigfrank

Not sure what that means or how I would check,it's showing up as a wifi option on the laptop screen but just won't connect and shows up as a weak option when I didn't think it would considering I have 4g on my iPhone

gallsman

Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 09:11:28 PM
Not sure what that means or how I would check,it's showing up as a wifi option on the laptop screen but just won't connect and shows up as a weak option when I didn't think it would considering I have 4g on my iPhone

The 4G on the phone is to do with the speed of the internet connection, not the strength of the WiFi connection between the laptop and the phone, which should be strong if phone is right beside computer.

If you go into your hotspot setup options, of its anything like Android, there'll be an option along lines of "Select AP Band".

How old is laptop?

Aldo, for the sake of it, try forgetting the network coming from the phone on the laptop and restarting both it and the phone.

Jim Bob

Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 06:40:24 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 12, 2018, 06:17:38 PM
Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 05:46:45 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on June 12, 2018, 05:11:25 PM
Have a samsung galaxy 2017 which I want to trade in for an iPhone.
Who would do this apart from car phone warehouse who offered me a poxy 60 quid for my phone.?
It's a straight swap as I want to stay on same contract

Not aware of anyone who does straight swaps for phones. None of the networks or major retailers want least year's models.

What iPhone are you looking?

What's the exact model of Galaxy you're trying to trade in? If it's an S8 or an S8+ in good condition, you'd sell it on your own for more than 60 no problem.

It's an A5 in good nick.

Samsung Galaxy A5 bought last October for 339 from John Lewis. I am willing to trade it in for an iPhone but as I said carphone warehouse would only allow me 60 quid for it.

Ah, assumption when you say Galaxy is that it's an S series or a Note.

The A5 is an 18 month old budget phone. You'll definitely not get any value from the networks for it. Certainly nothing that you'd come close to start swapping for an iPhone.

Main Street

Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 08:25:12 PM
What Operating System are you running on your laptop?

gallsman

Quote from: Jim Bob on June 12, 2018, 11:08:20 PM
Samsung Galaxy A5 bought last October for 339 from John Lewis. I am willing to trade it in for an iPhone but as I said carphone warehouse would only allow me 60 quid for it.

I understand what you're trying to do, I'm just telling you it's not going to happen. Certainly not for anything resembling a new-ish iPhone.

Your best bet is to try and sell the phone second hand privately and put it towards the cost of the iPhone you want.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: gallsman on June 12, 2018, 09:15:32 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on June 12, 2018, 09:11:28 PM

The 4G on the phone is to do with the speed of the internet connection, not the strength of the WiFi connection between the laptop and the phone, which should be strong if phone is right beside computer.

If you go into your hotspot setup options, of its anything like Android, there'll be an option along lines of "Select AP Band".

How old is laptop?

Aldo, for the sake of it, try forgetting the network coming from the phone on the laptop and restarting both it and the phone.

I would use the hotspot on the Iphone for the laptop if I'm out and about, works fine, though sometimes I've to reconnect it a couple of times or turn it off and try it again..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

BennyCake

Anyone had trouble installing the latest update?

A few apps weren't functioning so decided to update, but it keeps failing.

screenexile

Quote from: BennyCake on October 09, 2021, 12:52:26 PM

Needs a lot of storage 9gb I think I remember having to clear a lot of shite to get it to work!

StPatsAbu

Quote from: BennyCake on October 09, 2021, 12:52:26 PM

Get the better Huawei for half the price. You'll never look back...

AustinPowers

Quick question...........

Text messages  sent from an iPhone to  another iPhone don't seem  to count as part  of your normal monthly text  allowance.

Does that mean text messages  to any other iPhone  no matter where they are  In the world is free also?

Puckoon

If you are communicating using iMessage (blue background to blue background) that is data (internet or wifi) driven and is not considered an SMS and is free from one iPhone to any other iPhone (or indeed iPad) and wouldn't/shouldn't count towards a text message allowance on a plan.

Which drives me mental when the parents and brother have iPhones yet insist on texting me using WhatsApp "Because WhatsApp is free".