Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

our_fella

Quote from: Boycey on June 07, 2018, 04:55:36 PM
Off to Seattle Monday week and on to San Fran for a few days after that. L I've looked at doing all the usual stuff online but is there any off the beaten track or obscure things worth checking out. Thanks in advance.

Stopped off in Seattle few months back to see some family.. What have you seen/have in mind? Great city. Fun fact, Seattle still has more cranes than New York and San Francisco combined

Jim_Murphy_74

Quote from: our_fella on June 07, 2018, 05:07:50 PM
Fun fact, Seattle still has more cranes than New York and San Francisco combined

Apart from Frasier, Niles and Marty I wouldn't know too many of the Seattle cranes.

/Jim.

Boycey

Off to Seattle Monday week and on to San Fran for a few days after that. L I've looked at doing all the usual stuff online but is there any off the beaten track or obscure things worth checking out. Thanks in advance.

Stopped off in Seattle few months back to see some family.. What have you seen/have in mind? Great city. Fun fact, Seattle still has more cranes than New York and San Francisco combined

The night we arrive we're driving to Everitt and staying there doing the Boeing tour the next day, 17 year old is aviation mad!!! We're in Seattle itself then and planned on doing what tourists do - Pike Place, Space Needle, Maybe Mt Rainier but game to try anything. In San Fran we've only Alcatraz booked  really.

our_fella

Quote from: Boycey on June 07, 2018, 05:27:55 PM

The night we arrive we're driving to Everitt and staying there doing the Boeing tour the next day, 17 year old is aviation mad!!! We're in Seattle itself then and planned on doing what tourists do - Pike Place, Space Needle, Maybe Mt Rainier but game to try anything. In San Fran we've only Alcatraz booked  really.

Mt.Rainier a bit of a trek out.. A spin over to Alki-Beach in west seattle is nice in the sun. The view is actually much higher up the columbia tower. Only downside is its behind glass (73 floors high).

In San Fran, try get a tour bus that takes you to all the main places.. Much much handier!!

take_yer_points

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 06, 2018, 04:26:50 PM
How important is it to get the tropical vaccinations? It sounds mad expensive here in Dublin. Can your GP give them to you any cheaper?
Is Malaria more of a problem up North than down South or everywhere?

I think we'll just stay in Bangkok 2 nights, then 5 days in Chiang Mai and then just fly to Krabi for the 4 or 5 days with maybe a day trip to Ko Muk. Presume ferries out to it or day trips from Krabi?

I saw this? Any other advice? Its 16 years since I was there last in Samui and Pha ngang
http://thewanderlustkitchen.com/39-things-need-know-traveling-thailand/

Any suggestions of what to do up North?

Chiang Mai was grand without vaccinations, think we took them when we went further north than that - Chiang Rai

The Iceman

You'll get great weather hopefully -no nicer spot in the country this time of year. If you plan on going to Mt Rainier the GPS will likely take you the longest way. Head for Black Diamond and then GPS from there to Sunshine - thats the side of the state park you can use to drive up to the maximum drivable elevation - some nice hikes up there and amazing scenery. The Grove of the Patriarchs is worth seeing if you have time. Plan an entire day, leaving at 8 back at 8 type of thing with about 4-5 hours of driving.
Do the duck tour - it's a lot of fun if you let loose and get into it. You'll learn far more about the city and see more through a knowledgeable eye.

Nintendo and Microsoft are both in Redmond and offer tours if you check their websites. Might be worth it for the young fella. I certainly enjoyed Nintendo, life size Mario KArts on display from West Coast Customs and a wall of video screens and a nintendo game cube life size reception desk...

Watch out for the homeless they're a little aggressive in seattle for the uninitiated.

Overall it's a good city to visit. Kells Irish pub is a good spot for a pint or Fado. Always ones about from home.

In San Fran my pub of choice would be Ireland's 32 - load of Armagh lads about there or the crafty Fox - you might bump in to a few yocals behind the bar!

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Puckoon

Didn't think Fado had much going for it at all Iceman. Mediocre stout, Americanized menu and zero conversation.

Good shout on Irelands 32. I enjoy Fiddlers Green in Millbrae as well as The Irish Bank and Foleys in downtown SF. Good stout in all 3.

Don Johnson

Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

illdecide

Quote from: Don Johnson on June 12, 2018, 08:57:58 AM
Anyone ever get a speeding ticket abroad? Got a fine sent in the post yesterday from May of last year in France. Lucky I can read French or I wouldn't have had a clue what it meant, they are looking 180E from me or 144E if I pay within 30 days. What do you reckon, ignore it?

If you have a British Passport then ignore it, if you have an Irish one and you intend going back there sometime in the near future then pay it. Tut tut, and don't be breaking the law in foreign countries
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

paddyjohn

Lads & Ladies,

heading to Dublin in August for a few days.. Have a 2 & 4 year old, what do you recommend?

Rois

Same here - got one one last June and only that I could make a stab at understanding it, I wouldn't have had a clue.  It came through my hire company.  I paid it as I use Avis a lot and didn't want to have a black mark through them, but I'm also just scared of Interpol chasing me.

Did you get it on the road between Chamonix and Geneva??

nrico2006

Anybody got any advice/tips on Eurodisney?  Any particular place that is better to stay at?  Go all inclusive or not?  How many nights would you be looking to stay there for with 2 children?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Don Johnson

Quote from: Rois on June 12, 2018, 09:58:14 AM
Same here - got one one last June and only that I could make a stab at understanding it, I wouldn't have had a clue.  It came through my hire company.  I paid it as I use Avis a lot and didn't want to have a black mark through them, but I'm also just scared of Interpol chasing me.

Did you get it on the road between Chamonix and Geneva??

Not sure where exactly but I got it in Nice last May. Itw as my first time driving over there so I do not have a clue where it was, at the start I was wary I was driving too slow then I think by the end of the week I was flying. My own fault. Probably safer paying it. Another cost, currently paying off EuropCar for damaging a car in Paris last September too. Maybe I should stick to the bus.

Don Johnson

Quote from: illdecide on June 12, 2018, 09:22:49 AM

If you have a British Passport then ignore it, if you have an Irish one and you intend going back there sometime in the near future then pay it. Tut tut, and don't be breaking the law in foreign countries

British passport?? Catch yourself on. Irish passport and going back in December.  :-X

Don Johnson

Quote from: nrico2006 on June 12, 2018, 10:08:07 AM
Anybody got any advice/tips on Eurodisney?  Any particular place that is better to stay at?  Go all inclusive or not?  How many nights would you be looking to stay there for with 2 children?

Went last year for two nights before going to a Eurocamp nearby for five nights (La Croix Du Vieux Pont). We ended up rushing round that much in the two nights that we booked on for another two nights on the day we were due to check out. We are going back in December for another four night / five day trip. Think three or four nights is the best but you sometmies get it cheaper booking four than three when they do book 2 for the price of 1 or book 4 for the price of 3.

We stayed in Newport Bay last year and are staying in Sequoia Lodge this year. Both on site Disney hotels about ten minutes walk away from the Village. If you stay on site you get to take advantage of the extra magic hours in the morning so you get in an hour earlier than everyone else not staying on site. Plus it was handy for us with the child still taking a nap in the afternoon to just walk back after lunch. Especially after tiring herself out all morning in the parks.

You could do most of the Studios in a day, then need 2/3 days for the main park easy. Try and fit in as many of the shows as you can, we missed a load the last time so are planning to see them this time.

We got the full board package the last time and it was almost too much food. Buffet breakfast then three course lunch and dinners or buffets for these. Sickens you. This time we are doing half board, planning on getting a decent breakfast then snack or small bite for lunch then a good dinner later. If your child is under 3 as well they are expected to eat off your plate with the meal plan so the buffets are the way to go there, that way they can get as much as they want. We had to pay extra for the buffet breakfast in the hotel last year but this year we booked Sequoia in one of the Forest Lounge rooms or something it's called and the breakfast is included, worked out roughly the same price as Newport Bay last year without the breakfast.

It is expensive to eat and drink in like everyone says but a load of people online advise to bring snack packs in with you, plus there is a shop in the train station at the parks where you can get sandwiches, crisps, drinks a whole lot cheaper than in the actual parks. Also there are a lot of water fountains round the parks, get a couple of bottles and refill as you go on, think the bottles of water in the park were about 4 euros each. f**k paying that all day.

Also sometimes it is worth checking out the different countries versions of the DLP website, they all run varying promotions at the same time so you could save by booking through them. I only found this out this year and booked a cheaper deal using the French site. Was only about £40 but that is better in my pocket than Mickey's.