Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awideisneverasgood

Quote from: screenexile on July 25, 2018, 11:48:49 PM
Did La Rive there in last week of May for the first time on a Eurocamp holiday and it was absolutely fantastic.

Couldn't recommend it highly enough we had a brilliant hike and the kids absolutely loved it. Not sure where we will go next year but will definitely do something similar. Really cheap I thought as well something around £350 for the week for 4 of us through Al Fresco.

Went to la baume in the south of france with al fresco last year. 

Resort was fantastic but al freso were disappointing, BBQ was dirty and not working, mobile had not been cleaned properly, and there was a condom out of the wrapper lying on the decking when we arrived.  Would definitely go back to the camps but not with al alfreso even though they were a good bit cheaper.

BennyCake

Anyone know of anywhere you can stay on a canalboat? Or in one of those camping pods?

Preferably in the west of Ireland.

Dougal Maguire

There's a new glamping place in south Armagh bluebell glamping it's called. Supposed to be pretty good
Careful now

Don Johnson

Another thumbs up for Eurocamps. We did two in France last year and loved them both. Will definitely go back, great for kids.

Side note - anyone recommend any hotels in Sorrento that won't break the bank and are central enough location wise. Wedding there next July so trying to get accommodation sorted early.

Owen Brannigan

Just returned from 12 days in Norway and Sweden. Had chosen these countries to get away from the heat of travelling through central Europe. By the time we got to Stockholm the daily high was 29 degrees!

Bergen is a great place to experience the fjords. Went on a 12hr trek - out on the main Oslo train line for an hour, then an hour and a half descending by train to sea level at Flam, a drop of around 2,800ft over 20km - great scenery and phenomenal engineering from 1930s. Then travel by electrically powered catamaran through three fjords to Gudvangen where a bus journey for over an hour brought us back to the main train line at Voss and back to Bergen. Unbelievable scenery. If you are interested in history, Bergen has it.

Went to Oslo by train, six and a half hour journey across the width of Norway.  Track starts and finishes at sea level but rises to almost 4000ft at Fince, above the tree level and with snow not far from the tracks, a strange landscape used in filming one of the Star Wars films. Great way to see the variation in the landscape across Norway.

Oslo is a compact city with some great attractions. Particularly recommend the Viking Ships museum, Kontiki museum and the Fram museum.  All three are great examples of Norwegian explorers and their ships are displayed in special buildings.  Everywhere is very clean, great public transport and didn't see a policeman anywhere. The Brevik atrocities weigh heavily on Oslo and many government buildings have bomb protection that we have thankfully dispensed with. Prices in Norway are truly eye watering except for hotels that are cheaper than in Dublin. Serious number of tourists at most attractions, e.g. went to National Gallery to see The Scream and could hardly get near it for Chinese tourists having their photos taken imitating the picture in front of the original!

Stockholm is a large city.  Slightly less expensive than Norway but not much.  Much more metropolitan but police were much more evident particularly where young people gathered in numbers in the evenings.  The central areas were quite grubby and city construction is happening on a very large scale. Great investment in public transport, travelled to the airport on the express train which travelled at 188 km/h.  Great visitor attractions include the Vasa Museum where a 17th century warship is displayed in a fully restored condition. Hop on Hop off bus and boat were great for travelling around the city and the large harbour area as Stockholm is spread over many islands.

Overall, a great holiday to sample Norway and Sweden via the three main cities.

Rois

Sounds like a great trip. Did the trek through the fjords involve any hiking? My OH would be really interested in that.

playwiththewind1st

Quote from: Don Johnson on July 26, 2018, 08:41:27 PM
Another thumbs up for Eurocamps. We did two in France last year and loved them both. Will definitely go back, great for kids.

Side note - anyone recommend any hotels in Sorrento that won't break the bank and are central enough location wise. Wedding there next July so trying to get accommodation sorted early.

Stayed in Hotel Astoria last September, four star. Centrally located, rooms a bit pokey & well overpriced - the 4 **** rating was mainly derived from the very central location, I felt.

Boycey

We stayed in the Hotel Plaza in Sorrento a couple of years back, very Central and from what I remember was 'relatively' cheap cause nowhere in Sorrento is cheap.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on July 27, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
Sounds like a great trip. Did the trek through the fjords involve any hiking? My OH would be really interested in that.

No.  The fjords are very steep and are best experienced by travelling through them by boat. While large boats are used there are plenty on kayak safaris along the fjords.

Plenty of hiking available along the tops of the fjords. Around Bergen you can hike up the mountains and then in a circuit around the peaks above the town for about 15Km. The tops of the mountains which form the fjords are dotted with lakes.  Our son was with us in Bergen and like your OH is keen on hiking, he hiked up the mountains while we took the cable car to one peak and the funicular to another.

Milltown Row2

Stunning pics Owen, my bloody list is getting longer
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Last Man

Quote from: Don Johnson on July 26, 2018, 08:41:27 PM

Some excellent b&bs on booking.com. We stayed in one 2 weeks ago on the street parallel to Corsa Italia. 120ish per night. Large modern air conditioned room. Dread to think what we would have paid for a similar standard hotel room.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Rois on July 27, 2018, 07:32:26 AM
NZ is the place for that- Milford sound and Milford track

BarryBreensBandage

Looking to book a last minute holiday abroad for the family, flying out next weekend.
Could anyone recommend any websites? Have looked at Lasttminute and Teletext, but hoping someone might know a wee snooly website with value for money! Thanks.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Targetman

Try sunshine.co.uk or check out clubworld newry's Facebook

BarryBreensBandage

Will do - Thanks for that
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".