2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on March 06, 2018, 10:50:25 AM
they are but not a scatter of other positions also......and  have up to 6 yeaqrs of D2 under their belt for those who arent new

Roscommon have two in D1 and two in D2, while Cavan have three in D2 and one in D1 under their belts. I can't remember the last time Cork dipped below D2 either and they're probably weaker than some of the other D2 teams. I don't see a strong point in that statement.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: tippabu on March 06, 2018, 10:45:16 AM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 06, 2018, 09:53:47 AM
Quote from: Itchy on March 06, 2018, 08:22:09 AM
I don't understand this narrative of div2 teams  or being good enough for div1. Seems now the implication is you'd be better to throw a few games and not get promoted. Really is a daft premise. How do you close the gap on the best if you try to avoid playing them? Also div 1 football is a superb boost for the GAA in your county. Last year we had Dublin and Kerry in breffni which were fantastic for cavan GAA. We got a draw against Kerry, respectable enough show against Dublin and we beat Mayo in castlebar. It wasn't enough to keep us up but to suggest we would have been better not going up at all is ridiculous.

if your team needs to blood a new full back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a couple of forwards, which is the better place to do it, taking a 20 point tanking off Dublin  or in a competitive match in D2.

if you have the panel and mgmt more or less battle hardened then D1 is a no brainer but D1 is not a one size fits all cure

Are Galway not blooding in a new fullback this year? I'm not overly familiar with their team and how many are new to it this year.

Galway are blooding 3 of last years 21's this year in Sean Andy Kelly, Sean Kelly & Peter Cooke. Cooke has been around the panel for a few years but went to the states last summer but this is the first year he's been a regular.

Captain Obvious

I don't understand this narrative of div2 teams  or being good enough for div1. Seems now the implication is you'd be better to throw a few games and not get promoted. Really is a daft premise. How do you close the gap on the best if you try to avoid playing them? Also div 1 football is a superb boost for the GAA in your county. Last year we had Dublin and Kerry in breffni which were fantastic for cavan GAA. We got a draw against Kerry, respectable enough show against Dublin and we beat Mayo in castlebar. It wasn't enough to keep us up but to suggest we would have been better not going up at all is ridiculous.
True a very strange narrative to have. Division 2 this year isn't much different than other years as its probably the most competitive of all four divisions a dog eat dog group, one week you could be pushing for promotion the next fighting for relegation, Division one can be a bit of shadow boxing especially among the top 3 or 4 sides who aren't at their fittest and are giving run outs to players that won't see much game time in the championship and that can sometimes give false hope to the less fancied teams however Division one is the place to be for any county with ambition. Playing against the best players in front of the biggest crowds, Cavan got a taste of it last year and no doubt will want to be back there again next year.

tippabu

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 06, 2018, 12:46:22 PM

if your team needs to blood a new full back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a couple of forwards, which is the better place to do it, taking a 20 point tanking off Dublin  or in a competitive match in D2.

if you have the panel and mgmt more or less battle hardened then D1 is a no brainer but D1 is not a one size fits all cure

Are Galway not blooding in a new fullback this year? I'm not overly familiar with their team and how many are new to it this year.

Galway are blooding 3 of last years 21's this year in Sean Andy Kelly, Sean Kelly & Peter Cooke. Cooke has been around the panel for a few years but went to the states last summer but this is the first year he's been a regular.

Sean Andy O Ceallaigh, is he new to the set up? If so then is it not a case of blooding someone at fullback aswell in division 1 where you don't think any teams in division 2 currently are capable of doing the same? (I may be wrong on this, as I said I'm not overly familiar with the team)

Cunny Funt

Quote from: tippabu on March 06, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

Sean Andy O Ceallaigh, is he new to the set up? If so then is it not a case of blooding someone at fullback aswell in division 1 where you don't think any teams in division 2 currently are capable of doing the same? (I may be wrong on this, as I said I'm not overly familiar with the team)
Sean Andy is new, he was the U21 full back for Galway last year and he should hold onto his starting spot for the championship not so sure if Sean Kelly & Peter Cooke will though with Daly,Liam Silke etc to return.

tippabu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 06, 2018, 02:45:48 PM
Quote from: tippabu on March 06, 2018, 02:39:48 PM

Sean Andy is new, he was the U21 full back for Galway last year and he should hold onto his starting spot for the championship not so sure if Sean Kelly & Peter Cooke will though with Daly,Liam Silke etc to return.

In that case I dont see why any teams in division 2 currently cant do the same. Id rather be in division 1 sooner rather than later, we currently have the best tipp football team in god knows how long and who knows when this team starts to break up if we will still be able to maintain this success and competitiveness.

Smurfy123

Lads how are Cavan topping this table?Tyrone beat them by 23 points in the McKenna cup at home.Obviously they have improved from then but surely should not be topping this league.Its says a lot about he rest of the teams?

tippabu

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 07, 2018, 08:56:57 AM
Lads how are Cavan topping this table?Tyrone beat them by 23 points in the McKenna cup at home.Obviously they have improved from then but surely should not be topping this league.Its says a lot about he rest of the teams?

Strange using a preseason competition in early January to judge a teams ability on. Sure Meath and westmeath are in the o Byrne cup final, best two teams in Leinster? Cork best in Munster?

Jinxy

I think it's safe to say the uncertainty surrounding the O'Byrne Cup final has had a massive negative effect on our league performances.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

tippabu

Quote from: Orchard park on March 07, 2018, 11:26:38 AM
https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0306/945337-galways-coen-sees-positive-in-second-tier-campaign/

No comparison, division 1b in hurling isn't competitive, nobody near Galway and limerick and they are guaranteed getting into the quarter final, their league really starts this weekend

five points

We had a very weak team out that night.

Look-Up!

Dead right. Considering you're the 2nd best team in Ulster only losing narrowly to Tyrone in last years final and with Harrison back this weekend, I fear we'll be lucky to keep it kicked out.

Smurfy123

Look up less of the sarcasm
Your going on as if you are Dublin FFS

tippabu

Quote from: Smurfy123 on March 07, 2018, 12:54:13 PM
Look up less of the sarcasm
Your going on as if you are Dublin FFS

Wait....your original post was a serious question?