2018 NFL Division 2

Started by tippabu, December 31, 2017, 11:54:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

No need to tell someone their  opinion is shite young lad.

Learn a bit of respect if trying to debate.......

And I am resolute in my belief that we would have been better served not gaining promotion on that crazy day in 2015, even if in your absolutism world  this might be heresy.....

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on March 05, 2018, 09:53:52 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on March 05, 2018, 09:44:12 PM
Discussing league here......

My opinion is none of the teams in D2 are capable of s sustained  spell in D1 yet and all would be bettefvserved in D2 for development.   Galway had 6 years under their belt before going up. Ross went from 4 through to 1, had a sensational season, had a nihhtmarevamdvsrdvprobsbly at their realistic level now....... very hard blood new players in key positions in D1 and this applies to all the current D2 teams Most of whom are rebuilding of searching for key personnel still......

Your opinion isn't very well supported by facts. Roscommon won a Connacht title (and very nearly two) off the back of two seasons in D1. The likes of Kildare, Monaghan, Donegal and Galway are hardly much better than Tipp or Cork or Roscommon, especially given they going hell for leather in the league while the D2 teams aren't, at least we most certainly haven't been.

I hate this nonsense about it being better to be in D2. I remember the same shîte when we went up two seasons ago and we're now a much better side for the experience than we were ending 2015 knocked out by Sligo and Fermanagh. There's little to fear in D1 apart from Dublin.

Players and supporters want to play the best - end of sentence.

I agree. Mayo are the 2nd best team in Ireland and each year they barely hang in there. Monaghan do quite well too despite not being that much ahead of a few teams in div2. The aim is to play the best and you will improve. Armagh issue was they have an eejit in charge.

Cunny Funt

The bonus for the two sides that do gain promotion to Div one this year is that they will have Div 2 football at the worst by 2020.

imtommygunn

My opinion is none of the teams in D2 are capable of s sustained  spell in D1 yet and all would be bettefvserved in D2 for development.   Galway had 6 years under their belt before going up. Ross went from 4 through to 1, had a sensational season, had a nihhtmarevamdvsrdvprobsbly at their realistic level now....... very hard blood new players in key positions in D1 and this applies to all the current D2 teams Most of whom are rebuilding of searching for key personnel still......

Your opinion isn't very well supported by facts. Roscommon won a Connacht title (and very nearly two) off the back of two seasons in D1. The likes of Kildare, Monaghan, Donegal and Galway are hardly much better than Tipp or Cork or Roscommon, especially given they going hell for leather in the league while the D2 teams aren't, at least we most certainly haven't been.

I hate this nonsense about it being better to be in D2. I remember the same shîte when we went up two seasons ago and we're now a much better side for the experience than we were ending 2015 knocked out by Sligo and Fermanagh. There's little to fear in D1 apart from Dublin.

You don't state very many facts that disprove what was said there. Roscommon have won connacht. Ok to counter that monaghan have won ulster and are in the hunt every year.

Tipp and cork would really struggle at division 1 level. The others would yoyo.roscommon have done this as per the other poster's point...

I would put galway and monaghan as better than anything in division 2. Donegal and kildare remain to be seen.

Syferus

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 05, 2018, 10:57:51 PM

You don't state very many facts that disprove what was said there. Roscommon have won connacht. Ok to counter that monaghan have won ulster and are in the hunt every year.

Tipp and cork would really struggle at division 1 level. The others would yoyo.roscommon have done this as per the other poster's point...

I would put galway and monaghan as better than anything in division 2. Donegal and kildare remain to be seen.

Galway are definitely better than Roscommon. I couldn't really point to anything to suggest they aren't far ahead of them.

Rossfan

Poor little Syfīn is too young to remember Ros ever winning a Connacht Title so he's still in Syf heaven over last July.
He thinks it's the greatest thing ever.
It was lovely alright as were 2010, 2001, 1991 and 1990.
I vaguely recall 79 and 80 but was too young to understand.
However a Provincial title is really just an Intermediate Cup nowadays.
Anyway whoever is promoted will struggle unless they do a Ros 2016/Galway 2018 and go hell for leather in the League.
Be great if you could do that and still make waves in the Championship of course.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 05, 2018, 11:43:50 PM
Poor little Syfīn is too young to remember Ros ever winning a Connacht Title so he's still in Syf heaven over last July.
He thinks it's the greatest thing ever.
It was lovely alright as were 2010, 2001, 1991 and 1990.
I vaguely recall 79 and 80 but was too young to understand.
However a Provincial title is really just an Intermediate Cup nowadays.
Anyway whoever is promoted will struggle unless they do a Ros 2016/Galway 2018 and go hell for leather in the League.
Be great if you could do that and still make waves in the Championship of course.

We were a point away from winning Connacht in 2016.

Rossfan

We were a point away from reaching an AI semi final last August.
However we were 10 and 20 away in the 2016 and 17 replays.
Pattern?
Mental, Fitness, Stamina or what?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on March 06, 2018, 12:05:20 AM
We were a point away from reaching an AI semi final last August.
However we were 10 and 20 away in the 2016 and 17 replays.
Pattern?
Mental, Fitness, Stamina or what?

Working out the kinks for the eventual capture of Sam Maguire.

Itchy

I don't understand this narrative of div2 teams  or being good enough for div1. Seems now the implication is you'd be better to throw a few games and not get promoted. Really is a daft premise. How do you close the gap on the best if you try to avoid playing them? Also div 1 football is a superb boost for the GAA in your county. Last year we had Dublin and Kerry in breffni which were fantastic for cavan GAA. We got a draw against Kerry, respectable enough show against Dublin and we beat Mayo in castlebar. It wasn't enough to keep us up but to suggest we would have been better not going up at all is ridiculous.

Orchard park

Quote from: Itchy on March 06, 2018, 08:22:09 AM
I don't understand this narrative of div2 teams  or being good enough for div1. Seems now the implication is you'd be better to throw a few games and not get promoted. Really is a daft premise. How do you close the gap on the best if you try to avoid playing them? Also div 1 football is a superb boost for the GAA in your county. Last year we had Dublin and Kerry in breffni which were fantastic for cavan GAA. We got a draw against Kerry, respectable enough show against Dublin and we beat Mayo in castlebar. It wasn't enough to keep us up but to suggest we would have been better not going up at all is ridiculous.

if your team needs to blood a new full back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a couple of forwards, which is the better place to do it, taking a 20 point tanking off Dublin  or in a competitive match in D2.

if you have the panel and mgmt more or less battle hardened then D1 is a no brainer but D1 is not a one size fits all cure

Itchy

Quote from: Orchard park on March 06, 2018, 09:53:47 AM

if your team needs to blood a new full back, centre back, 2 midfielders and a couple of forwards, which is the better place to do it, taking a 20 point tanking off Dublin  or in a competitive match in D2.

if you have the panel and mgmt more or less battle hardened then D1 is a no brainer but D1 is not a one size fits all cure

Highly unlikely in that scenario you would get to div 1

Orchard park

no but you could end up there thanks to a misplaced paddy o'Rourke kickout in those circumstances as Roscommon did

tippabu

Quote from: Orchard park on March 06, 2018, 09:53:47 AM

Are Galway not blooding in a new fullback this year? I'm not overly familiar with their team and how many are new to it this year.

Orchard park

they are but not a scatter of other positions also......and  have up to 6 yeaqrs of D2 under their belt for those who arent new