A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2019, 04:15:04 PM
The OO is already funded left, right and centre as are the hundreds of flute bands that stomp the streets every summer. I would not want that to change in a united Ireland. What I would expect to change would be the flag and anthem, though I don't ever see there ever being any consensus there. Ulster Scots should also be looked after, in line with whatever demand there is to support it

What's the point? New anthem and flag, Unionists will recognise neither because they won't be in the union no more. Accepting those two things goes against everything a unionist stands for.

In the same way that nationalists wouldn't recognise a new flag and anthem for NI because it goes against everything they stand for.

general_lee

Quote from: BennyCake on May 10, 2019, 05:28:23 PM
The OO is already funded left, right and centre as are the hundreds of flute bands that stomp the streets every summer. I would not want that to change in a united Ireland. What I would expect to change would be the flag and anthem, though I don't ever see there ever being any consensus there. Ulster Scots should also be looked after, in line with whatever demand there is to support it

What's the point? New anthem and flag, Unionists will recognise neither because they won't be in the union no more. Accepting those two things goes against everything a unionist stands for.

In the same way that nationalists wouldn't recognise a new flag and anthem for NI because it goes against everything they stand for.
The point is accommodating unionists. I know fine rightly a lot of them won't like it, and they're welcome to move to Britain if it is that unbearable.

dec

Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2019, 05:32:09 PM
I know fine rightly a lot of them won't like it, and they're welcome to move to Britain if it is that unbearable.

Should that have been the attitude of Unionists towards nationalists?

"You're welcome to move down south if you find Northern Ireland so unbearable."

Rossfan

It was wasn't it?
A new All Ireland State = a new flag and anthem.
Probably  a Green flag with a red X on it  and "Our lovely Island" as the anthem.
A popular vote/plebiscite to decide.

If a minority in the North Eastern Area don't like the chosen flag and anthem....they're entitled to their opinion.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
It was wasn't it?
Probably  a Green flag with a red X on it

Ah Jaysus a green and red flag, let's not go to ridiculous extremes here.

imtommygunn

Quote from: dec on May 10, 2019, 05:44:04 PM
I know fine rightly a lot of them won't like it, and they're welcome to move to Britain if it is that unbearable.

That kind of is the attitude in the more hardline ones...

Rossfan

Quote from: weareros on May 10, 2019, 06:47:38 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 10, 2019, 06:05:01 PM
It was wasn't it?
Probably  a Green flag with a red X on it

Ah Jaysus a green and red flag, let's not go to ridiculous extremes here.

:D :D :)

general_lee

Well the thing is, many people from the north *did* move, many were forced to do so.  That was and still is the attitude among some of the more loyal citizens in NI today. Luckily, Unionists will never have to face what Irish nationalists endured back when they ran the show in the north. So if they don't like the democracy the option to flourish in post-brexit Britain is always there for them

smelmoth

A UI is definitely a difficult and nuanced proposition. Difficulties and nuances that it's proponents will have to navigate and master to win the day

smelmoth

The point is accommodating unionists. I know fine rightly a lot of them won't like it, and they're welcome to move to Britain if it is that unbearable.
Presumably all the nationalists and republicans who stayed in NI found it quite pleasant?

smelmoth

Quote from: general_lee on May 10, 2019, 08:04:25 PM

Well the thing is, many people from the north *did* move, many were forced to do so.  That was and still is the attitude among some of the more loyal citizens in NI today. Luckily, Unionists will never have to face what Irish nationalists endured back when they ran the show in the north. So if they don't like the democracy the option to flourish in post-brexit Britain is always there for them
I will agree that some were forced but a tiny fraction. The majority who left NI left for the same reason as they left RoI and the poorer regions of Europe

The rest of your "free to leave" rhetoric I will leave to those indulging in Orbanesque politics

Owen Brannigan

From Belfast Telegraph.........

Bernadette McAliskey: 'Who in their right mind would vote to join the Free State?'

August 13 2019

Veteran civil rights campaigner and former MP Bernadette McAliskey has questioned "Who in their right mind who right mind in a border poll would vote to join the Free State?"

Ms McAliskey made the comments at event in Londonderry on Monday night marking the 50th anniversary of the Battle of the Bogside in August 1969, when three days of rioting led to the start of Operation Banner.

Bernadette McAliskey was one of those involved in the events of August 1969.

Speaking on Monday night alongside fellow campaigner Eamonn McCann, Ms McAliskey warned people across the island of Ireland "need to get out of the nationalist conversation".

She said that there was no "progressive nationalist agenda on this island at this time".

"Who in their right mind in a border poll would vote to join the Free State?" she added.

Bernadette McAliskey said the lesson from 1969 was that "spontaneity needed to be planned for".

"I don't think there's any point in remembering or commemorating other than to learn from the past what we can do in the present to shape the future," she said.

In recent months calls for a border poll from Sinn Fein have increased, with the party's leader Mary Lou McDonald stating it would be "unthinkable" if a poll was not called in the wake of a no-deal Brexit.

Rossfan

So Bernie is happy to keep part of Ireland under British Rule?

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rossfan on August 14, 2019, 01:23:15 AM
So Bernie is happy to keep part of Ireland under British Rule?

Weighing her opinion and your disrespectful attempt at sarcasm, it is not difficult to know which side most informed people will take cognisance of.

Rossfan