Laois Junior Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:23:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The PRO

Looking like this is panning out as expected.
Annanough, P/R and Kilcavan all comfortably into last eight.
Surprised Port are gone. Is there a second team that can challenge the three favourites? Maybe Graigue if they get the junior C over and done with. B Abbey seem to be decent too and Portlaoise third team could be anything.

Jd

I'd imagine Annanough will want to get the senior thing out of the way asap. Could you imagine if either of the Sculleys or Horgan or some other players got bad injuries playing for clonaslee........ Just a question, if clonaslee get relegated and Annanough go up will they be allowed to stay as a Gaels team for intermediate like mountmellick ??

SCFC

Quote from: Jd on August 13, 2018, 11:39:02 AM
I'd imagine Annanough will want to get the senior thing out of the way asap. Could you imagine if either of the Sculleys or Horgan or some other players got bad injuries playing for clonaslee........ Just a question, if clonaslee get relegated and Annanough go up will they be allowed to stay as a Gaels team for intermediate like mountmellick ??
I couldn't see how that could happen as both clubs would be intermediate in their own right.
They could apply to affiliate a senior team though.

Joeythelips

When are the quarter finals on and when is the draw for it?

BallyroanAbbey

Jesus lads Spink have had some fall in a short period of time, i know that hurling is the main sport over there and that they are getting lads from 2 hurling clubs but at this stage they would be better off letting the lads that actually want to kick ball go to cretty or wherever. Because its unfair at this stage. I remember talking to a lad a few years ago when they brought the ballinakill lads in and said it would kill off spink and split the community, seemed like madness when they were going well at inter but by jaysus that man was spot on

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on August 13, 2018, 08:15:55 PM
Jesus lads Spink have had some fall in a short period of time, i know that hurling is the main sport over there and that they are getting lads from 2 hurling clubs but at this stage they would be better off letting the lads that actually want to kick ball go to cretty or wherever. Because its unfair at this stage. I remember talking to a lad a few years ago when they brought the ballinakill lads in and said it would kill off spink and split the community, seemed like madness when they were going well at inter but by jaysus that man was spot on
Some sense there, but at the same time, Spink are making massive strides at underage and hopefully will regenerate again in a few years if they can keep that coming. Amalgamations are grand if lads buy into them, but at the end of the day, a hurler will always put hurling first, and vice versa.

BallyroanAbu

Spinks improvement at juvenile might be more to do with a dubious transfer policy.

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 14, 2018, 10:08:17 AM
Spinks improvement at juvenile might be more to do with a dubious transfer policy.
Sensible edit.

BallyroanAbbey

Quote from: Don Draper on August 14, 2018, 09:56:21 AM
Some sense there, but at the same time, Spink are making massive strides at underage and hopefully will regenerate again in a few years if they can keep that coming. Amalgamations are grand if lads buy into them, but at the end of the day, a hurler will always put hurling first, and vice versa.

Im aware if that but at the same time how many of these lads are going to put football first, realistically the only ones to benefit from this arrangement are ballinakill who have succeded in expanding their area of players into spink

The only way i could see it working long term is by spink and ballinakill having a full scale amalgamation, they might loae a few current players who hurl with ballypickas but would likely gain more from ballinakill to counter that and they would have a solid foundation of players to choose from instead if the guessing game they have at the moment. Having said that the chances of ballinakill giving up.anything in name or colour are slim id imagine. Also thought that this should of happened with us and abbeyleix when they decided to go together. Either go the full way with it or dont do it, half measures dont cut it.

As for my clubmate here i think there is enough questionable transfers and players outside our catchment area to be making accusations.

clonadmad

Where are the massive strides in Juvenile when they are in with Park at some grades and word is that they  have made approach's to a few of their neighbors for a full Juvenile amalgamation from next year.

Don Draper

Quote from: clonadmad on August 14, 2018, 10:14:10 AM

Where are the massive strides in Juvenile when they are in with Park at some grades and word is that they  have made approach's to a few of their neighbors for a full Juvenile amalgamation from next year.
How many grades are they with Park for? I'm around long enough to know Spink had f**k all on their own for years ,the fact that they're doing anything at underage level is a massive stride.

Who are they are U17 with?

I agree with Ballyroan though, full amalgamations are the way forward for a number of these clubs who are on their knees.

BallyroanAbu

Not making accusations, simply stating fact! Spink want it all one way unopposed transfers to them but then go mental the other way.   Over the last 5 years we are not opposing transfers out simply because that's the right thing to do.   Spink only want to play ball one way. 

Don Draper

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 14, 2018, 10:30:47 AM
Not making accusations, simply stating fact! Spink want it all one way unopposed transfers to them but then go mental the other way.   Over the last 5 years we are not opposing transfers out simply because that's the right thing to do.   Spink only want to play ball one way.
TBF if most clubs had your pick they wouldn't worry about losing the odd one either.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Don Draper on August 14, 2018, 10:33:51 AM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 14, 2018, 10:30:47 AM
TBF if most clubs had your pick they wouldn't worry about losing the odd one either.

That's a fair point, last week though someone on another thread was looking to regrade us to intermediate.   The problem with amalgamations and this is genuine is that most clubs are looking for a short term fix.  BallyroanAbbey took from 2007 till this years junior team to come through. 

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbbey on August 14, 2018, 10:12:24 AM
Also thought that this should of happened with us and abbeyleix when they decided to go together. Either go the full way with it or dont do it, half measures dont cut it.

Kind of a funny arrangement with Abbeyleix? Ye changed yer name, what did they do?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......