Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonian

Quote from: trailer on May 16, 2023, 03:07:18 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 01:44:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 16, 2023, 01:23:24 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 16, 2023, 01:09:55 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 01:04:19 PM
Quote from: OakLeaf on May 16, 2023, 12:43:21 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on May 16, 2023, 11:07:46 AM
On the way home and only for 2 good souls (and man and a women) directing traffic both on the road and for vehicles trying to leave one of the fields we'd still be there!

I was in the same field as you. Those pair that were directing traffic were a godsend! The lads that were supposed to be stewarding just upped and left. It wasn't too bad after the Lacky Road started moving (we headed back over in the direction of the Roslea Road), but that was an hour and 20 minutes after we arrived back at the car :(

Looking forward to Casement being built.

Casement is not the nirvana people think, you cannot park 10,000+ cars near there either.

Agree!

Parking in and around Casement was never easy!

You have two supermarkets nearby with plenty parking on Sundays, you have train station and regular bus services, the motorway is on the door step of the pitch. Yes there are no fields to park on wet days, or no major roads leading into it,  pathetic toilet facilities or covered stands, I get that ;D

I'm sure Casement like any city based stadium will have problems but it seems to work in hundreds of football grounds in the UK strangely enough

The supermarkets will block entry to their carparks on match days. There is one train per hour carrying perhaps 400 people on Sunday. The motorway is OK once you get on to it, but you could be going to Newcastle some cúnt in Lisburn might just leave a package on a flyover and close the whole thing. 

There is no doubt that covered stands are definitely an improvement and the jacks will be better, there might even be wi-fi.  But if Casement were not built these would be in Clones too.

There are stadia in other places, but Casement is relatively far from Belfast city centre. The city centre commercial car parks are over an hour away on foot, in contrast in Croke Park there are 3 or 4 big car parks within 20 minutes and a shed load of car parks within 30 minutes walk.

There'll be trains and park and ride buses. It will be better served by public transport. Clones has none of this.
There will be a match day plan in place as well involving the PSNI and others.
Other Stadia in Belfast manage, Kingspan and Windsor.

I think that's something that the GAA match aren't used to. I've took the lads to the Kingspan a few times and the park and rides are so handy.

Nanderson

I agree that park and ride systems would be a good option for casement. you could have them filtering people from say sprucefield in south belfast, forestside for anyone in east for example. could also run them to and from the bus and train stations with special services put on for match day goers where you could show your match ticket and get a discount or something like that to encourage people to use public transport where possible. If you look at the big stadiums in the world a lot of them dont have any car parking spaces due to no space to expand so they heavily rely on a good public transport network to filter people back out of the area

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: 93-DY-SAM on May 16, 2023, 02:03:33 PM
It would but that is a not going to be a runner and let's not get into that argument again. If it's a green field site you are after instead of Clones then the Maze site isn't it.

IMO, with the project being a complete clusterf__k to date - I'd be inclined to get relegate the existing project team to bystanders for opinion only and have a new team in charge and essentially restart it with nothing off the table.

First thing would be scoping out exactly how palatable the government would be to the funds going toward a new/renovated stadium that isn't Casement Park.
i usse an speelchekor

trailer

Quote from: smort on May 16, 2023, 03:10:39 PM
On the way home and only for 2 good souls (and man and a women) directing traffic both on the road and for vehicles trying to leave one of the fields we'd still be there!

I was in the same field as you. Those pair that were directing traffic were a godsend! The lads that were supposed to be stewarding just upped and left. It wasn't too bad after the Lacky Road started moving (we headed back over in the direction of the Roslea Road), but that was an hour and 20 minutes after we arrived back at the car :(

Casement is not the nirvana people think, you cannot park 10,000+ cars near there either.

Agree!

You have two supermarkets nearby with plenty parking on Sundays, you have train station and regular bus services, the motorway is on the door step of the pitch. Yes there are no fields to park on wet days, or no major roads leading into it,  pathetic toilet facilities or covered stands, I get that ;D

I'm sure Casement like any city based stadium will have problems but it seems to work in hundreds of football grounds in the UK strangely enough

The supermarkets will block entry to their carparks on match days. There is one train per hour carrying perhaps 400 people on Sunday. The motorway is OK once you get on to it, but you could be going to Newcastle some cúnt in Lisburn might just leave a package on a flyover and close the whole thing. 

There is no doubt that covered stands are definitely an improvement and the jacks will be better, there might even be wi-fi.  But if Casement were not built these would be in Clones too.

There are stadia in other places, but Casement is relatively far from Belfast city centre. The city centre commercial car parks are over an hour away on foot, in contrast in Croke Park there are 3 or 4 big car parks within 20 minutes and a shed load of car parks within 30 minutes walk.

There'll be trains and park and ride buses. It will be better served by public transport. Clones has none of this.

Think Windsor and Kingspan only hold around 18,000. A lot more will be attending casement, and a lot more who rely on cars

Yes but the point I'm making is that Belfast and the authorities have experience of managing crowds. It has a better infrastructure than Clones. Motorways, Buses, Trains. Clones has fields and single carriageways.

armaghniac

Agree!

Kingspan and Windsor are smaller and more of their attendance comes from Belfast itself. Clones manages too.
All these trains and buses will be great if they actually materialise. Are there special trains for games at Windsor?
There are few extra trains or buses to Croke Park nor do Translink put on buses to Clones. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 03:35:35 PM

Agree!

Kingspan and Windsor are smaller and more of their attendance comes from Belfast itself. Clones manages too.
All these trains and buses will be great if they actually materialise. Are there special trains for games at Windsor?
There are few extra trains or buses to Croke Park nor do Translink put on buses to Clones.

Where is closest train station to Casement?

Saffrongael

Quote from: marty34 on May 16, 2023, 04:01:41 PM

Agree!

Balmoral
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on May 16, 2023, 04:03:17 PM

Agree!

Balmoral

Is that walking/shuttle distance?

I'm sure for big game, Translink will put on shuttle buses etc. from various park 'n rides on the outskirts of the city.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on May 16, 2023, 04:05:20 PM
Quote from: Saffrongael on May 16, 2023, 04:03:17 PM

Agree!

Balmoral

Is that walking/shuttle distance?

I'm sure for big game, Translink will put on shuttle buses etc. from various park 'n rides on the outskirts of the city.

Is there not a park and ride out at Sprucefield where the buses can use the hard shoulder for a straight run into the city?

angermanagement

Balmoral and Finaghy train stations are about a 20 minute walk to Casement. Plenty of routes in and out of Casement if you avoid the motorway.

markl121

Agree!

They actually did for Sunday for derry ones anyway

armaghniac

Quote from: markl121 on May 16, 2023, 05:09:53 PM

Perhaps Casement, if it ever opens, will signal a new era of public authorites trying to help people get there. I remain skeptical about this.
In a perfect world thety would build a passage under the M1 and have trains going back and forth to Balmoral with a walkway in between, but I don't believe they will do any of this.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

markl121

Quote from: armaghniac on May 16, 2023, 05:19:49 PM
Quote from: markl121 on May 16, 2023, 05:09:53 PM

Perhaps Casement, if it ever opens, will signal a new era of public authorites trying to help people get there. I remain skeptical about this.
In a perfect world thety would build a passage under the M1 and have trains going back and forth to Balmoral with a walkway in between, but I don't believe they will do any of this.
I would have thought buses would be more likely, as trains don't service the majority of the place anyway. Park and ride shuttle buses are the way forward I think.

JimStynes

You wouldn't want to be in an emergency to get to the Royal Hospital on a match day with 34k ppl trying to get there. But as someone has said, plenty of places in England manage to do it on a weekly basis. GAA people are too used to taking the car to places and 'thrownin her' up on the curb and dandering 5 mins to the game. Getting on the train to Casement, parking in City Centre and getting a bus, parking at the playing fields in Boucher etc. I am sure once Casement is built and after a few years of teething problems it'll all be straight forward. Not having a first class stadium in the 2nd biggest city in Ireland is embarrassing.

trailer

Quote from: JimStynes on May 17, 2023, 11:44:59 AM
You wouldn't want to be in an emergency to get to the Royal Hospital on a match day with 34k ppl trying to get there. But as someone has said, plenty of places in England manage to do it on a weekly basis. GAA people are too used to taking the car to places and 'thrownin her' up on the curb and dandering 5 mins to the game. Getting on the train to Casement, parking in City Centre and getting a bus, parking at the playing fields in Boucher etc. I am sure once Casement is built and after a few years of teething problems it'll all be straight forward. Not having a first class stadium in the 2nd biggest city in Ireland is embarrassing.

If you weren't a teacher and from Armagh or Antrim or where ever I think we could be life long friends.