Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

On a side note Stephen McGeehan from Ulster Council looks like his head is about to burst in that photo in todays paper promoting it...lol. I know people put on weight but not usually on their head...The pressure of Casement :)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

BluestackBoy

Maybe I'm missing something but at 34,000 this new stadium is no bigger capacity than Clones & is harder to get to for most Ulster supporters.

What is the point in this?
For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world & loses his soul.

Saffrongael

Quote from: BluestackBoy on March 01, 2017, 12:52:12 PM
Maybe I'm missing something but at 34,000 this new stadium is no bigger capacity than Clones & is harder to get to for most Ulster supporters.

Politics

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Kickham csc

Would that be an accurate statement.

Clones better for Cavan,  Monaghan, Fermanagh, S Armagh, West Tryone, South Donegal
Casement better for Antrim, Derry, N Donegal, Down, North Armagh, East Tryone

So both would be 50 / 50, a northern stadium and a southern one

Does that not sound like a equal balanced solution 

Hectic

Have you tried driving on the roads to Clones and if so would you say they are of the same standard at the M1?  Traffic being dispersed quicker from Belfast should see you home to many parts of the country quicker than from Clones.

Besides Clones is not in the '6 counties' where the money has been earmarked for - in fact strike that, the money has been earmarked for West Belfast so Casement is the only show in town so the merits or otherwise of any other location do not even come into it.

Hectic

Quote from: Kickham csc on March 01, 2017, 01:23:11 PM

Clones better for Cavan,  Monaghan, Fermanagh, S Armagh, West Tryone, South Donegal

Plus probably handier from Dublin and hence much of the Republic.  Qualifier games and all that.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Quote from: Kickham csc on March 01, 2017, 01:23:11 PM

much rather head to Clones personally.

Maybe mentioned before, but are gate receipts in the south tax exempt and not in the north?

general_lee

Residents want 25k? They do realise of the "old" Casement was much bigger? Their reasons for wanting it smaller don't stand up to scrutiny - emergency exits, traffic etc. Were they as concerned when the old stadium was operational?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: general_lee on March 01, 2017, 04:59:49 PM
Residents want 25k? They do realise of the "old" Casement was much bigger? Their reasons for wanting it smaller don't stand up to scrutiny - emergency exits, traffic etc. Were they as concerned when the old stadium was operational?
There was only one stand and it wasn't looming over the local houses.

Mourne Rover

There is obviously an element of `build it and they will come' about the new Casement, but it is a fair point that the capacity of the old ground was seldom tested since the 1960s. Derry v Down in 1992, a clash between the reigning All Ireland champions and a side destined for the following year's title, got a massive crowd, probably in the vicinity of 30,000, but it is difficult to recall any match at the venue
since then which could not have accommodated within a 25,000 stadium. While there is talk of staging Super 8 ties at Casement, it all sounds a little vague as a reason for a 34,000 complex.

armaghniac

Quote from: Mourne Rover on March 01, 2017, 10:32:03 PM
There is obviously an element of `build it and they will come' about the new Casement, but it is a fair point that the capacity of the old ground was seldom tested since the 1960s. Derry v Down in 1992, a clash between the reigning All Ireland champions and a side destined for the following year's title, got a massive crowd, probably in the vicinity of 30,000, but it is difficult to recall any match at the venue
since then which could not have accommodated within a 25,000 stadium. While there is talk of staging Super 8 ties at Casement, it all sounds a little vague as a reason for a 34,000 complex.

Armagh v Derry 2005 exceeded 25,000 and somewhat suggested a "Casement" crowd (as  Derry are not well supported).

The problem with Casement is its rather off centre location in Ireland generally (a bit like Wexford park or Killarney) and its location in a county with very limited support.  It is a good location for Down v Armagh Tyrone or Derry or Armagh/Tyrone v Derry and if some of these were going well it would test the capacity.  But it is no use for most games in a super 8.  But with a  capacity of 25000 it isn't much bigger than the run of Ulster county venues, and so hardly worth diverting games there.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Milltown Row2

Dublin east coast of Ireland. No good for Donegal Derry Kerry Clare Sligo Waterford Cork then? If you're talking logistics? Clones would have had same issues with the rest of the country as would Killarney Galwayand other counties that have sizeable grounds, it's getting built so move on
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea