Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

An ulster semi or final is handy for Armagh, Down, Derry folk but I think it's unfair having the likes of fans coming from Killybegs or Cavan having to travel to Belfast for such games.

ONeill

Can they not build it around the back of the Andersonstown Leisure Centre?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BennyCake on December 13, 2014, 11:53:26 AM
An ulster semi or final is handy for Armagh, Down, Derry folk but I think it's unfair having the likes of fans coming from Killybegs or Cavan having to travel to Belfast for such games.

Shit for Derry fans heading to Clones also.......
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on December 13, 2014, 02:22:57 PM
Can they not build it around the back of the Andersonstown Leisure Centre?

Or shift it all to Corrigan Park?
MWWSI 2017

BennyCake

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2014, 02:23:20 PM

It's shit for everyone going to Clones!

armaghniac

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 13, 2014, 02:23:20 PM

There is empirical evidence of Derry fans not travelling in large numbers to Clones, but there is evidence of large numbers not travelling anywhere. Nevertheless, Killybegs to Belfast is half as far again as Limavady to Clones.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Saffrongael

Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

JPGJOHNNYG

Denied, very surprised by the decision. Looks like Andytown is getting a big Tescos

stiffler

GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

JPGJOHNNYG

Wow between this and the Maze 11-12 years have passed and Ulster GAA have feck all to show for it

sheamy

Quote from: bannside on December 15, 2014, 10:37:35 AM
What now?

they'll have to change the design. the planning approval was deemed unlawful but not quashed.

illdecide

Casement Park redevelopment: Minister acted unlawfully by granting approvalBreaking news
Northern Ireland's environment minister acted unlawfully in approving a new GAA stadium in west Belfast, a High Court judge has ruled.

Planning permission for the 38,000-seater stadium was granted by Mark H Durkan in December 2013.

Local residents who objected to the size of the planned development launched a legal challenge in response.

Mr Justice Horner held the decision making process around the decision was "fundamentally flawed".

He identified failures in the environmental impact assessment of the increased facilities and an unrealistic reliance by the Department of the Environment (DoE) on an existing 32,600 capacity as a baseline for the project.

With far fewer spectators normally attending matches at the current ground, the judge also found that the effect of bigger crowds on the surrounding roads network had not been properly examined.

However, he did not quash the minister's decision.

Instead, lawyers for the DoE, the GAA and a residents group who mounted the legal challenge are to make further submissions on appropriate remedies.

Local residents claimed the proposed £76m stadium would be too big for the area.

The GAA's provincial body, the Ulster Council, said a 38,000 capacity was needed for the staging of Ulster Senior football finals and All-Ireland quarter-finals.

The redevelopment of Casement Park is part of the government's policy to upgrade the three major sports grounds in Belfast - football's Windsor Park, Ulster's rugby ground at Ravenhill and the Gaelic games stadium at Casement.

Three new stands have been constructed at Ravenhill.

Work on modernising Windsor Park, the home of Irish League club Linfield and the Northern Ireland international team, is ongoing.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Bingo

At least they know now they'll get another cut for round bales in the spring.

OakleafCounty

In the unlikely event of Derry playing in an Ulster final I prefer Clones over Casement any day! Mark H Durkan, take a bow.