Casement Park in line for major overhaul - 40,000 all seater Stadium.

Started by Joxer, October 06, 2010, 02:42:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on February 06, 2014, 09:05:57 PM
Buying some houses is an interesting development but I cant honestly see how they choose which ones to buy ie where do they draw the line. From the above quote it sounds like a random few rather than a whole street. It was done for Thomond park a few years back however it added quite a bit to the development costs!

Think they are talking about the houses at the unused side entrance to casement in Moorland. There are two or three houses there that don't have the space between themselves and the perimeter wall that the others do.

Farrandeelin

hardstation, would you support the project if it remained the home of Antrim GAA?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

JPGJOHNNYG

'Think they are talking about the houses at the unused side entrance to casement in Moorland. There are two or three houses there that don't have the space between themselves and the perimeter wall that the others do.'

I see the ones you mean on the photo below. Still I think it could open up a can of worms as if those are bought then surely a number of the other residents would want to sell their houses too. From the aerial photo there must be around 50 properties along the stadium perimeter each one costing around 150000 pounds (or more) - The GAA could end up with a hefty bill very quickly

armaghniac

QuoteFrom the aerial photo there must be around 50 properties along the stadium perimeter each one costing around 150000 pounds (or more) - The GAA could end up with a hefty bill very quickly

They could end up with a big bill, but they can rebuild these or just sell them again and get most of the money back.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

snatter

Quote from: armaghniac on February 07, 2014, 12:14:20 PM
QuoteFrom the aerial photo there must be around 50 properties along the stadium perimeter each one costing around 150000 pounds (or more) - The GAA could end up with a hefty bill very quickly

They could end up with a big bill, but they can rebuild these or just sell them again and get most of the money back.

Or they could do what they should have done from the start - build the f*ing stadium on a site that's f*ing big enough.

That way, you can

• build it as high as you like.
  • have a roof on all four sides.
  • offer better views to more people by have the deepest stands down the sides of the pitches, not behind one of the goals.
  • run as many concerts as you like (critical for long term running costs).
  • avoid having to close one SW Belfast's arterial routes.
  • avoid years of legal challenges which you will almost certainly lose..

It's simple. Not complicated.
The Casement site is, and always was too small.

If Belfast doesn't stump up a larger site, (eg Musgrave Park), then move it out to somewhere that wants it (and take the rugby world cup along with us).

Can one of our noble, hard working Belfast City Councillors tell us how much would a token 100 year lease on Musgrave Park would be? And then compare that to the cost of blackmail-buying an ever-increasing list of houses around Casement.

It won't take a forensic accountant to tell you that it would be cheaper, even now, to go down the route of a proper stadium on a new site rather than building 3/4 of a stadium involving the senseless purchase of several dozens of surrounding houses at inflated prices.

sam03/05

Build it in Healy Park Omagh, Antrim is a silly county anyway, let them play games at grounds with not even a covered stand, let them watch from grass banks for the next 50 years.
We will take it.

rrhf

Whilst dungannon will always be the preferred option for the stadium i think that statement portrays the softer side of ulster gaa and is to be welcomed. I hope the residents put out a statement of their own regrets and how they could have been more accomodating. this is the making up process. This stadium goes ahead.

orangeman

It appears to me that the residents genuine concerns which weren't fully appreciated and if they were were not factored in, are now being fully taken accounted for.
Ulste GAA seem to have realised that by continuing to ignore, bull on, tr**p over ( choose whatever term you want ) will only lead to more problems and have now changed tack and offered a few olive branches which is always going to be a better strategy than the one they had to begin with.

So fair play Ulster GAA even if it did take a bit of ignorance to get the message through.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

Quote from: sam03/05 on February 07, 2014, 09:30:54 PM
Build it in Healy Park Omagh, Antrim is a silly county anyway, let them play games at grounds with not even a covered stand, let them watch from grass banks for the next 50 years.
We will take it.
Yes and they can also continue to do other things like suggesting another boycott of the AI Under 21 Hurling semi final if they ever qualify again

rrhf

If I was the man you are defaming I'd be having you for breakfast.

rrhf

drici

Quote from: hardstation on March 26, 2013, 08:40:54 PM

What are the plans for the fairy tree?

Only heard the night.

Ulster Council may make sure they do what Jack Rooney did (story was passed on from Aontroim ones).

What have these people started?

orangeman

Quote from: drici on February 10, 2014, 12:56:44 AM
Quote from: hardstation on March 26, 2013, 08:40:54 PM

What are the plans for the fairy tree?

Only heard the night.

Ulster Council may make sure they do what Jack Rooney did (story was passed on from Aontroim ones).

What have these people started?

What did Jack do many moons ago ?

drici

Quote from: orangeman on February 10, 2014, 01:04:07 AM

What did Jack do many moons ago ?

Quote from: orangeman on February 06, 2014, 08:14:10 PM

But Mr Feeney said the GAA has been "transparent and open" in everything it has done.

You'll have no problem there then.

THE MIGHTY QUINN

I see the West Belfast residents are now protesting about a proposed new school. First it's a stadium, then social and affordable housing, now a school! As a matter of interest what are they prepared to accept in terms of development?  They complain about being neglected, they complain when they are being regenerated, what do they want?