2015 Laois Senior Football

Started by redsetanta, February 13, 2015, 12:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great report Giovanni, delighted for the lads that results went their way and we retained Div 2 status.
This bunch are a dedicated lot and are battling against all the odds and holding their own against most teams. If we had everyone committing just think of what we could do...

We are now one of only three Leinster teams in the top two divisions and that's saying a lot looking at the pool of players that we are drawing from. T.O'F is getting the most out of these lads no matter what we say about him and given a chance and a few more players we could have a good run in the championship this year.

Well done lads and thanks for the commitment given by everyone involved.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

OTF

Yes thanks for the great report Giovanni.
We probably were lucky in the end they way the other games went but it's no more than these lads deserve.
After the opening 2 games I couldn't see us survive but TOF and the lads got it together and they deserve a lot of credit for doing so.
At times over the last month they did at times defend and attack very well but not all the time if they somehow can get both right together they should have a decent summer .

redsetanta

We were lucky in the sense that other results went our way. I know that the league is over 7 games however all teams knew what was required yesterday to avoid relegation. We knew that a victory would guarantee safety however we had to rely on Galway and and Roscommon to help us out (the only teams we beat this year). One manner of the dispay that was positive is that we fought until the very end again and came from 8 down to lose by 3. There is great fighting spirit in the team that's for sure. The heads have not dropped in games where they were staring at defeat unlike Laois teams of old.

We are leaking goals which is a cause of concern but what team in Div 2 didn't 'leak' goals on a given day.

We are relying on Kingston for scores and it would be great to get Meredith back for the championship if there was any chance of that happening when college finishes.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Don't know how the existing bunch would feel about it, but I also think there should be some efforts made to add to the squad now. We know that most of our squad are well capable of doing a good job but the extra strength in depth could be crucial later in the year.  You don't see it happening too often but it would be good at this stage I think.

I should also have complimented Rory Hickey on what is an increasingly rare thing in inter-county football refereeing circles - a good game. He missed a few things but he showed a lot of common sense and talked a lot to the players, which I think is always a positive sign.  It's hard to understand why there is such vast differences in the standard of refereeing in the country.

Unlaoised

It would be nice to get Meridith and McMahon back and would give great options ...

I'm mentioning them as unlike O'Leary,Cahilane,Lillis,Meaney,Healy,Booth,Walsh David Conway,and Tierney there is a chance they might come back as the door was left open for them because they showed a willingness early in the year to play but just couldnt give the commitment.

I thought Laois were very loose on Sunday in defence I'm not sure if the fact they went to the man last week carrying the ball against Kildare and conceded a goal was a factor in the Players staying with their men this week but leaving the ball carrier a free run which caused so many problems.

This Problem is highlighted by the fact we have no real Centre half back ...I like Robbie Kehoe and he has been doing well especially against Kildare but we need a natural leader in this position I still think Colm Begley should be tried here.

I thought the forwards were lively in spells Donoher got through a alot of work but not much came out of it.Shiel looked dangerous but didn't get on the ball enough.Ross got bottle up but was decent in spells..Billy didn't play that well ..Thought Finn added something and has a monster accurate kick of the football which suits Ross ...

O'Loughlin was busy and Quigley caught some unreal ball.

Strong got his usual superb point and was better defensively .

Brody could do little about any of the goals.

I'm delighted we stayed up and happy for the lads...I hope it gives them a boost for the Championship ..

Laois Abu
LAOIS ABÚ

Teo Lurley

Down won the other day because they had better defensive organisation. Our lads seem unsure. The often bottled up our players trying to get through with 2 or 3 men around the ball. We were left 1 v 1 far too regularly. All their goals were very soft, they just had extra numbers running from deep. They weren't been tracked properly but this was because of our lack of pace around the middle. All day it was evident that their midfield and half forwards could out run our lads. It's a worry because it's happened quite a lot throughout the league and there's no obvious fix. I think Attride and O'Connor will have to be moved out the field and a half forward line including an aging Billy and Boyle will never be described as fast.
Midfield isn't 2 v 2. The breaking ball is where midfield is won. Quigley caught some great ball but the players around him weren't quick enough to the breaks. O'Loughlin bursting through from midfield is well known at this stage. Down were ready for it and had him covered for most of the game. He was moved further forward in the second half and won some frees while Begley was moved to midfield. It's something that might be used more often in the future. O'Carroll kicked some great frees but didn't do much apart from this. Shiel looked dangerous and won a good bit of ball but he needs to strengthen up. He's young and that will come. Ross is trying very hard but he just doesn't that extra yard of pace to get space anymore.
It's great news that we survived in division 2 and it was nice to see the fighting spirit again from our players. Kingston obviously is vital to us and other things were learned from this game so it's not all bad. It'd be great to have Costello back or someone else to step up to give more options. I'd be against anyone returning to the squad at this stage. Either you go through all the training, all the hard work with your teammates for the whole year or you stay where you are. About 6 weeks to the Carlow match, we know this bunch will work hard and put every effort in to have a good championship run. That's all we can ask for.

Unlaoised

Teo that is a decent post but I don't think the players themselves would object to a Meridth or McMahon coming back ..Even Meaney who was there for most of the year...

We need options O'Connor moving out the field is one that needs to be looked at...Maybe a fit again Paul Begley can fill in at corner back?

Looking forward to the year ahead this bunch have shown great heart so far this year and deserve a bigger support I hope there is big numbers at the Carlow game!
LAOIS ABÚ

OTF

Quote from: Unlaoised on April 08, 2015, 02:47:45 PM
Teo that is a decent post but I don't think the players themselves would object to a Meridth or McMahon coming back ..Even Meaney who was there for most of the year...

We need options O'Connor moving out the field is one that needs to be looked at...Maybe a fit again Paul Begley can fill in at corner back?

Looking forward to the year ahead this bunch have shown great heart so far this year and deserve a bigger support I hope there is big numbers at the Carlow game!

If I remember correctly from TOF's interview the door may be open for McMahon not sure about Merdith ..... I'd say Meaney wont be asked back, after that the only other player who I think would actually make a difference is.....dare I say it ... Healy.
Is he home for the summer ???

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Healy has committed to the hurlers, cant see him coming in at this stage. It would be great to have McMahon and Meredith for the championship as we need to strengthen the squad. I wouldn't be against anyone coming in now, some lads just have other commitments early in the year and if they can come in now fair play, we are not strong enough to leave anyone out who can do a job for us.

redsetanta

All TOF said about Meredith was that he wanted to concentrate on his studies. He will be free come the end of May. All of these lads would be keeping fit anyhow so can't see the issue bringing a lad back into the panel. He would be a nice option from the bench.
Will Kingston be suspended for championship opener or is it just one game he is gone for?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

Meredith would be warmly welcomed I'm sure and IMO walk straight back onto the team but is he not heading to America for the summer?..

McMahon will be back from what I hear.

Unlaoised

Anyword on the team I'm presuming it will be along the same lines as the last day?Sure Meridith will feature from the start?
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

The team is usually out today?
LAOIS ABÚ

Junior Ex Laoistalk

This is the most serious beating we have suffered in the past 10 years. I cant put my finger on it but every time we  go behind we seem  to die as a team and just accept defeat.
I think this could be the end of another manager and we really need to get our act together next year or we could be gone for a long time

BallyroanAbu

The end should have been after the Cavan match in the league. He got a few poxy results and hung on.