John Hume

Started by Eamonnca1, August 03, 2020, 04:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

We'll probably never see his like again. A towering figure in Irish politics who left a better legacy for all of us.

(I think it's noteworthy enough for a thread of its own, but feel free to lock up if you think the Death Notices thread is fine.)

armaghniac

No, I think the death of the greatest leader in our lifetimes deserves a thread of its own.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

An immense figure for humanity . A great man for Derry and Ireland. Adored in Derry even among non SDLP voters . Mostly known for peace work but here in Derry he was the last person to bring significant inward investment

tonto1888

RIP John Hume. What a man he was

Rois

Happy to contribute to this thread also - definitely one of my heroes, who just knew what it took to get things done.
His involvement in and dedication to civil rights, education and the economy (as FBNS says, through attracting inward investment) contributed more than we can ever know to the lives we enjoy today. 

macdanger2

Legendary figure, will never be forgotten

SHEEDY

A great leader, a great Derry man and a great Irish man. RIP.
nil satis nisi optimum

Rudi

Met him once the day I got married. Just before my wife and I were called into the ballroom. Up steps John Hume to wish us well. I was star struck this man was a hero of mine growing up. The humanity of the man will never be surpassed. A real leader of the underdog and a politician who represented his people. He went out and got stuff done instead of talking about it. RIP

Itchy

Lots of great stories coming out about this great man. I particularly like one about how he met with ETA and Spanish Loyalists and got them talking to each other, told ETA that violence was futile and told the Spanish Loyalist that he should accept that but for an accident of birth he might be doing exactly the same as his ETA opponent. So true.

Unfortunately I then had to listen to that utter w**ker John Bruton on Drive Time this morning pretty much equating Hume with his own anti nationalist sentiment which is clearly false - I doubt Hume would have much time for Brutons politics. He spent his entire interview saying that Hume got terrorists to give up violence, never mentioned anything else. But it was much more than that simple thing that Mr Bruton would have us all believe, he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.

RadioGAAGAA

Brilliant man - the cornerstone the peace process was built on.
i usse an speelchekor

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Itchy on August 04, 2020, 09:48:20 AM
Lots of great stories coming out about this great man. I particularly like one about how he met with ETA and Spanish Loyalists and got them talking to each other, told ETA that violence was futile and told the Spanish Loyalist that he should accept that but for an accident of birth he might be doing exactly the same as his ETA opponent. So true.

Unfortunately I then had to listen to that utter w**ker John Bruton on Drive Time this morning pretty much equating Hume with his own anti nationalist sentiment which is clearly false - I doubt Hume would have much time for Brutons politics. He spent his entire interview saying that Hume got terrorists to give up violence, never mentioned anything else. But it was much more than that simple thing that Mr Bruton would have us all believe, he also got unbending prejudicial unionists with a superiority complex to consider and accept that they must share power with the peasants. For me that was actually his biggest achievement.

Bruton is a tool.
But Adams on radio ulster yesterday was embarrassing, made it all about him and SF. Was a bit more magnanimous last night on evening news, probably realised he was being a knob

five points

I was privileged to see Hume debating in a college event midway through the 80s. He was literally fearless in arguing against extremists. We could do with him today.

Rossfan

Fkn Bruton should keep quiet.
He sat for 3 years 1994-97 and almost let the whole peace process unravel.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 10:13:05 AM

Bruton is a tool.
But Adams on radio ulster yesterday was embarrassing, made it all about him and SF. Was a bit more magnanimous last night on evening news, probably realised he was being a knob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZoLp5kOIc

This one?

Itchy

Quote from: johnnycool on August 04, 2020, 10:42:07 AM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on August 04, 2020, 10:13:05 AM

Bruton is a tool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkZoLp5kOIc

This one?

Dont see anything wrong with that. Adams too made sacrifices and had to be mindful that there were factions within the IRA that would have been totally against dialogue vrs Physical force. I always thought the Hume/Adams paper got lost in the story telling of the ceasefire, it was the key that opened the door. But today is about John Hume.