Roscommon v Armagh

Started by illdecide, July 02, 2018, 10:06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on July 09, 2018, 01:49:30 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 09, 2018, 01:35:28 PM
Well he played against me a fair few times and I've never hidden my identity so perhaps I'm one of them ;D. That being said I don't whisper in the ears of young players and tell them anything. He is right though if he is referring to me...I was shite back then but not in the AI club final in 2000  ;)

To be fair I would be surprised if internet comments would worry Geezer too much. When I read the comments it was more the whispering in the ear as you describe that I thought he was on about.

That was my reading of it. It's either people getting in the ears of those who have opted out or trying to get in the ears of those who opted in.

smelmoth

Quote from: Syferus on July 09, 2018, 01:59:23 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2018, 01:52:22 PM
I said before the game that we are a very difficult team to analyse and even now 2 days after our last game of the season that remains the case.

The big positive for me is that we stuck with our brand of football. Maybe that is because we knew that Roscommon would allow us to play. We still don't know if we would have had the guts to play this way against a defensive team.
There are number of positives on the playing side with players stepping up to this level.

I don't buy into the idea that we went toe-to-toe with Roscommon. We traded scores, the lead on the scoreboard and each team attacked the other but toe-to-toe suggests we engaged in the battle across the pitch. That we did not do. I get infuriated when we automatically concede the possession on kick outs. Roscommon fans pointed out that they could believe that we could do this as it was well known that they lacked aerial strength at midfielder and had lost a midfielder before throw in. It now seems that the RTE pundits had identified this as a big issue. We gave them a free ride. That is not toe-to-toe. Its more head-in-hands. When you think about our long standing issue with stopping teams running at us through the middle the concession of possession at kick outs and letting Roscommon run right at us was criminal.

I would be hugely surprised if McGeeney is not there again next year but those who decide these things and ratify his appointment and that of his backroom must surely ask questions about their performance when it comes to relatively simple tactical ploys that seem to be our undoing. We need to improve on small things that can be got right if you have the Dublin panel to pick from or Waterford panel.

On with the club championship. If we could get a few boys back or unearth a few we really could do with pace in the full back line (McCabe needs moved back to half back where he could have a bid future), more scoring power and options in the forwards (big totals against weaker or "open" teams doesn't necessarily mean you can work the scores against bigger or more defensive teams) and a bit more all round ability in midfield (some of the younger guys don't yet have the power to bully opposition and some of the older heads are dithering on the ball).

A young team so we shouldn't be too badly impacted by retirements. There are 6/7 months before a ball is kicked in anger. Now is the time to reach out to see if the reasons for non-availability can be addressed. Who knows what that might or might not yield. Only one way to find out.

I'd love to know the 'Roscommon supporters' who thought Ultan Harney was a midfielder..

Not aware that anyone thought he was

seafoid

"They sit outside and they pontificate. I played against a lot of these fellas and they were f***ing useless back then and they're still f***ing useless."

Playing is not the same as analysing how good a team is.  Geezer hasn't won an Ulster championship match in 5 years
Even the most inoffensive people have doubts. And the qualifiers mostly involve beating weaker teams .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

brokencrossbar1

Well he played against me a fair few times and I've never hidden my identity so perhaps I'm one of them ;D. That being said I don't whisper in the ears of young players and tell them anything. He is right though if he is referring to me...I was shite back then but not in the AI club final in 2000  ;)

To be fair I would be surprised if internet comments would worry Geezer too much. When I read the comments it was more the whispering in the ear as you describe that I thought he was on about.

I agree that it's mostly ear whispering that he is referring to. There have been comments in the past about people hiding behind keyboards. The thing is I would say to someone's fave what I say on here or the Armagh GAA board and have done on numerous occasions after being challenged. If the online criticism is an issue then maybe don't read it!  Players and managers are happy to read the papers or the online stuff when they are being lauded, you can't have it both ways.

Rudi

Armagh are building a fine footballing team. Hope they stick with Geezer. Murrnin and Grugan are top class. Number 5 was cleaned badly until they decided to put him in full forward. Armagh wilted in the heat which is not surprising given the tough games they had lately. Roscommon did well to win a tight game. They badly need everyone on board next year.

tonto1888

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 09, 2018, 02:13:09 PM

I agree that it's mostly ear whispering that he is referring to. There have been comments in the past about people hiding behind keyboards. The thing is I would say to someone's fave what I say on here or the Armagh GAA board and have done on numerous occasions after being challenged. If the online criticism is an issue then maybe don't read it!  Players and managers are happy to read the papers or the online stuff when they are being lauded, you can't have it both ways.

You may well one of the few who would. Most people use the anonymity of message boards to say hinge they never would say to someone's face

bennydorano

Regarding the kick out situation, I watched the game on TV and as we conceded the kickouts I knew 100% we'd push up in the last 10/15mins or so if we were still in the hunt. Not sure why people are getting so wound up about it tbh, would it have made a positive difference on the scoreboard?? I doubt it. For once i think it was a clear tactical choice and it worked out fairly well all things considered.

smelmoth

Quote from: bennydorano on July 09, 2018, 04:33:20 PM
Regarding the kick out situation, I watched the game on TV and as we conceded the kickouts I knew 100% we'd push up in the last 10/15mins or so if we were still in the hunt. Not sure why people are getting so wound up about it tbh, would it have made a positive difference on the scoreboard?? I doubt it. For once i think it was a clear tactical choice and it worked out fairly well all things considered.

What I saw was a team that did not want to kick long being allowed not to kick long.
What I saw was a team with a known weakness being allowed to work around that weakness by a known and preventable means.
What I saw was a team with a recognised vulnerability to direct runners being allowed to use their kick outs to work positions to get runners away.

For me it had a huge bearing on the result

Syferus

Quote from: smelmoth on July 09, 2018, 07:14:54 PM

What I saw was a team that did not want to kick long being allowed not to kick long.
What I saw was a team with a known weakness being allowed to work around that weakness by a known and preventable means.
What I saw was a team with a recognised vulnerability to direct runners being allowed to use their kick outs to work positions to get runners away.

It didn't. When you kicked long Smith and later Compton hovered up a lot of the long kicks. You're living in a world where a perceived weakensss was an actual weakness on the field, which is simply not the case if you watch the match halfways objectively.

Throw ball

I feel Armagh conceded the kick outs due to their own weaknesses in the middle area. Sheridan was not fully fit, Vernon is not the tallest, Grimley was carrying an injury, Donaghy was sweeping and Shields and Hall are unlikely to win much in the air. Absentees weakened us in midfield so that we couldn't capitalise on a perceived weakness in Roscommon.

smelmoth

Quote from: Throw ball on July 09, 2018, 07:33:01 PM

I feel Armagh conceded the kick outs due to their own weaknesses in the middle area. Sheridan was not fully fit, Vernon is not the tallest, Grimley was carrying an injury, Donaghy was sweeping and Shields and Hall are unlikely to win much in the air. Absentees weakened us in midfield so that we couldn't capitalise on a perceived weakness in Roscommon.

And pushing up is not risk free but to not try it seemed strange

Orchard park

Syferus,

In fairness Enda caught some monsters later on but did he touch the ball constructively in the first twenty.....

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on July 09, 2018, 08:35:58 PM
Syferus,

In fairness Enda caught some monsters later on but did he touch the ball constructively in the first twenty.....

Everyone was saying Enda hadn't touched the ball. You need to feed him to get him going. But once he gets going..

Orchard park

Bollix in a word.  Win your own ball to quote the greatest hurling manager  ever

tonto1888

Rossies, has there been much turnover in your team since the 2014 game? We had 7 in our squad on Saturday who were there.