Hurling Semi Finals

Started by manfromdelmonte, August 04, 2016, 12:17:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

The hurling championship needs two good semi finals

There hasn't been a real top quality game all year that went down to the last 10 minutes

I fancy Waterford to give Kilkenny plenty of it in Sunday and maybe play a bit more off the cuff than they have all year. The overly defensive gameplan was found out v Tipp who caught the ball and handpassed past the cover. Kilkenny are even better at this aspect of gameplay.
Kilkenny by 2 or 3 is my prediction

Thy Kingdom Come

ashman

theskull1

Waterford haven't the personnel to play man to man up front and appear totally dependent on their current system of play which they now know isn't going to get you all Ireland's. Tough decision for them as squad to know how best to play it. Also think they'll play up the pitch a bit but it'll cost them. KK by 12
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AZOffaly

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on August 04, 2016, 12:17:11 AM
The hurling championship needs two good semi finals

There hasn't been a real top quality game all year that went down to the last 10 minutes

I fancy Waterford to give Kilkenny plenty of it in Sunday and maybe play a bit more off the cuff than they have all year. The overly defensive gameplan was found out v Tipp who caught the ball and handpassed past the cover. Kilkenny are even better at this aspect of gameplay.
Kilkenny by 2 or 3 is my prediction

I don't think Tipp's handpassing was the key. I think what they did was tried to attack the sweeper directly at times, and then switched play up with diagonal balls other times. The amount of times they pucked the ball in directly at de Burca, but high, and got players around him, was stark. They basically negated his ability to 'sweep' and they knew this was the plan, so all the other forwards were immediately moving to pick up a break, or to take a pass if Tipp won it clean.

ashman

Waterford gave away 2 soft goals in Munster final and the players were like rabbits in headlights .  Also they were facing a strong wind in second half.  It seemed to me that the players had such belief in "the system" they were shocked when it malfunctioned due to individual errors . 

There is no way "the system" will beat Kk on Sunday .  Waterford need a respectable result and to win u21 AI now .

AZOffaly

At the end of the day, systems just put players in positions. They still have to be able to play the game in those positions. Systems are just tactics, players need to carry them out and execute the skills of the game.

gallsman

Easy wins for KK and Tipp again methinks. Waterford might but it up for half an hour or so but KK will just step it up like they always do. Galway will make it interesting but to be honest I still fancy Tipp by 7/8.

manfromdelmonte

Galway have a great record v Tipp recently in semi finals

Zulu

Think Waterford can put it up to Kilkenny. I expect it to be closer than many seem to be predicting.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Zulu on August 05, 2016, 03:29:40 PM
Think Waterford can put it up to Kilkenny. I expect it to be closer than many seem to be predicting.

Bookies are giving it -5 for Kilkenny ...purely based on their recent games I can't see Waterford beating that handicap
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Hogan is some operator.

Sometimes hard to work out what constitutes a foul in hurling.

Good game though.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 07, 2016, 03:50:26 PM
Hogan is some operator.

Sometimes hard to work out what constitutes a foul in hurling.

Good game though.
Deserved a red
Clear strike

ashman

Decent game but Kk forwards starting to make space .

imtommygunn

Be great to see watrford win but with kilkenny in tight games, especially in the first half, there just seems a certain inevitability. Hopefully i'm wrong. A waterford galway final would be good.